0.4.2.0 strat thread

I’ll start:

• Slap a bunch of cytoplasm on your cell after gen 1.
  • Move to the surface ASAP.
  • Don’t apply light-reliant organelles until you get to the surface (cough cough Spikeviper).
  • Don’t apply ATP-reliant organelles until you think you have a lot of ATP (this includes the nucleus).
  • That said, once you have a lot of ATP, get ATP-reliant organelles ASAP. Other cells will try to eat you and you’ll need to flee/shoot them, plus eukaryotic organelles are nice
  • Don’t go to the tide pool. This isn’t for game play, it just looks like a pile of melted taffy. Trying to discern clouds from the background is really difficult.
5 Likes

My first decent length life in 0.4.2.0 (I like playing it as a rouge like) came with three realizations:

1. You have to pay attention to the top left concentrations - as soon as a clouds concentration is less than 1000 move on (more if your getting big).
  2. Iron seems to be the most abundant and decently concentrated clouds… so rusticyanin ‘structures’ are good for early game before you can start feeding on other cells - I made a home in the cave where it seems to be more abundant still
  3. The sooner you get oxytoxy the sooner hordes of other cells are chasing you down firing it at you (But they will still eventually have it anyway).

Currently hitting a wall where npc cells get oxytoxy which leads to either not being able to slow down enough to collect material or slowing down and the wave of poison shooting cells get a fix on me and blow me up… any advice?

3 Likes

decided to drop in my little notes on how not to fail;

• NEVER EVOLVE ANY TOXIN PRODUCING ORGANELLES. YOU WILL DIE

• Don’t place down a nucleus unless you have a stable food source. examples include the decaying carcasses of fellow eukaryotes & sunlight.

• Make sure you hold onto as much phosphate and ammonia as you can before you split. it will allow your cell to grow slightly bigger than your sister cell. This is of course to cannibalize them to feed yourself. (dont worry about it hurting your species. cannibalism is perfectly legal and doesnt effect your species population.)

• Dont place down flagella until you have a stable food source. they use a bit too much atp in my opinion and just dont help your cell survive in the early game.

• Make your cell wider than it is tall. this is to make it scoop up more compounds and consume the organelles of other cells faster. since the game doesnt take drag into account yet. you dont have to worry about your speed being drastically reduced.

3 Likes

Wait hitboxes have been added? Because IIRC Thrive is still using a placeholder system where the cell’s hitbox’s size comes from the hex furthest away from your cell, no matter if that is how wide it is or its length.

3 Likes

Yeah, you’re right about the hitbox sorry i should’ve clarified when talking about how wideness is beneficial I can see why you’re a bit confused.

i’ve found that having your cell be wider often results in other wide cells. And so what happens is that you end up having to go push against the wide side of the other cell to absorb it. And this is more beneficial because it often leaves the organelles closer to you and makes it easier to absorb them.

Say you evolve a tall cell. When you’re absorbing other tell cells there are 2 things that can happen. You phase into the tall cell and you manage to absorb all of the organelles/proteins . Or your hitboxes collide and you start to deal damage to the cell before it dies and its organelles/proteins are just left in a long line for you to absorb. Which you then must swim up to very slowly and absorb.

Contrast this with having a wide cell. You’re more likely to absorb all of the organelles from other wide cells as you can phase through the entirety of then much more easily. And even if you’re not able to phase through them a quick rotation of your cell scoops up any of the organelles you missed.

Not really a game breaking strategy but it worked for me nonetheless.

1 Like