Dead Game

Hello, this is another forum game where you play as a civilization in a fantasy world(very original).

The world is inhabited by a myriad of races that are capable of organizing continent wide empires. Other than that, the world is seemingly similar to the earth in climate, gravity, flora and fauna with a few oddities along the way.

Basic game rules

To determine the results of your votes, i will be randomly generating a number from 1-100
1-5: The worst possible outcome
6-20: A bad outcome
21-30: Little progress is made
31-45:A good outcome but things could have gone better
46-64:A large amount of progress is made.
65-90:A fantastic outcome
91-100:Best possible outcome
Note that these are only possible outcomes for your vote, if you are fighting a god with a single man, a 100 won’t do much and vice versa
Your roll can be influenced by various modifiers from different sources such as policies, technology,etc

Stability indicate how strong the foundation of your civ is, a high or low stability score influences your results. Low stability grants you a higher chance to change your government.

Each religion has the following attributes:
Ascetic/Hedonistic: +5 hiring troops/+5 conversion

Orthodox/Syncretic: +5 conversion defense, +5 conversion strength, -15 syncretism/-5 conversion defense, -5 conversion strength, +15 to syncretism

Theistic/Animistic: -5 to conversion against animistic/-5 to conversion against theistic

Ethnic/Proselytic: +5 conversion of pops with same culture,+5 conversion of pops of similar culture, -5 against other conversions, +5 conversion defense/+5 conversion.
Government types:
Chiefdom: +20% Stability when your nation has under 5 pops, +10% when your nation has under 10 pops, -10% when your nation has over 15 pops, -20% when your nation has over 20 pops.

Feudal Monarchy: +5% troop hiring, -5% building.

Absolute Monarchy: +5% when in positive stability, -5% when negative stability, -10% to raise stability.

[Insert Number]archy: +5% to increasing stability, -5% when a family controls 50% of the population or more, -5% to plotting against a family.

Aristocratic Republic: +5% to farming, -5% to trading

Plutocratic Republic: +10% trade, -5% to expanding, +5% to enemy spy rolls against the nation.

Theocracy: +5% conversion, -5% when 30% of the population is from another religion, -10% when 50% of the population if from another religion, -15% when 70% of the population is from another religion, -25% to changing religion.

Mercantile Society: +5% to trade and building, -5% when Economy score is below 1, -10% when Economy score is below 0, -15% when Economy score is below -1, -25% to leaving market infrastructure.

Military Order: +5% to increasing stability and conversions, -5% to trade, farming and building.

Theocratic Dictatorship: +5% to increasing stability, -5% when 30% of the population is from another religion, -10% when 50% of the population if from another religion, -15% when 70% of the population is from another religion, -25% to changing religion, -15% to plotting against overlord.

Market Dictatorship: +5% to trade and building, -5% when Economy score is below 1, -10% when Economy score is below 0, -15% when Economy score is below -1, -25% to leaving market infrastructure, -1 stability, -20% to plotting against the tradelord.

Military Dictatorship: +5% to recruiting and increasing stability, -5% when in negative stability, -5% to trade.

Combat

1a) Combat takes place as an event using roll20 at a date agreed upon by the players and a staff member. If a player fails to show up as agreed, a member of staff rolls in their stead.
-If multiple players are part of combat they may select an ally to serve as proxy if present.

1b) There are 5 types of units currently:

Foot Melee: Attack 5, defense 3, speed 2, range 1

Foot Ranged: Attack 3, defense 2, speed 2, range 3

Melee Chariot: Attack 5, defense 2, speed 3, range 1

Ranged Chariot: Attack 3, defense 2, speed 3, range 3
  1. You may move your units anywhere on the map, 1 hex per speed value. Movement does not take up an Order.

2. You may not move into a square with another faction’s unit without attacking the unit or getting permission from the unit owner.

4a) Upon initiating combat/declaring an attack, both parties indicate a short-term objective, for example; “push west and take the enemy city”. I will deliberate over which objectives are feasible within the combat instance. If in the case of this example, the city is too far, I will instead decide how much progress you make toward this goal.

4b) Attacking has 3 phases;

1) Planning/Positioning: In the planning stage, all involved players announce in their appropriate channels what they intend to do; laying out their battle lines. At this point, rolls for effectiveness commence. To begin, you roll a die with the same number of sides as your unit's speed, and choose an enemy target. Then your enemy picks a defender among the troops in the stack and rolls its speed, if the defender's roll is higher he gets to position first, and choose which of his units defend, otherwise the attacker gets to pick the attacked unit(s).

2) Attacking: The attacking unit rolls a die with the same number of sides as their attack stat, and the defender with its defense. Then the latter is subtracted from the former. The result is the damage the defender receives. If the defender got a higher roll than the attacker then it receives no damage and the remainder goes to the next phase.

3a) Retreating: If the defending unit survived, then they may make a speed roll (plus the remainder of the defense roll made previously) and the enemy makes their own roll plus their range. If the attacker has a higher number nothing happens, but if the defender has a higher number they get to roll die with sides equal to twice their attack value, and the enemy their defensive value, and damage the enemy with the result.

3b) Reaction: In the reaction phase, players with advanced enough militaries can attempt to issue new orders to try and counter enemy actions, essentially being able to repeat the Planning/Position phase.

The number of orders players get in during Planning/Positioning is dependent on how advanced their military structure is, as well as any extra modifiers at staff discretion.
For example, if a player is defending a well fortified city, the city’s defense stats would apply to the stats of the defending forces, unless they have things like mounted “turret” type defenses (Ballistae, etc.), in which case, depending on command structure, the defending player would get to issue a separate order to them in the Planning/Positioning phase. However if the defenses consist only of walls, the defense rating of the walls would be added to the defense stats of defending units against ranged attackers, while to melee units, the walls would be treated as a separate entity with only a health and defense stat. If ranged units attack the walls directly, they get the separate “dummy entity” as their point of contact as well. If the walls can be manned, and are manned with ranged attackers, enemies attacking the wall would be subject to the “Retreating” damage phase from ranged units atop the walls.

1. If your army is smaller than the other army, you can roll a d20, and if you have a result higher than 10 you may set an ambush. An ambush applies +3 to attack, +2 to defense and +5 to speed on every troop for that attack round, and if you’re the defender, the attacker has to attack with all his troops. The dice used are as follows:

Attacking, half the army: d8 (can only work with other modifiers)

Attacking, one quarter of the army: d15

Defending, half the army: d13

Defending, one quarter of the army: d18

2. To capture an inhabited hex you have to kill all the troops within it. All the defending troops within it gain +3 defense and +1 attack. Troops defending such an invasion cannot launch defensive ambushes, however they may set an offensive ambush.

3. All troops have an original baseline of 100 hit points.

4. Hills, forests, and villages (tiles with 2 pops or more), grant +1 defense and -1 speed to attackers, jungles give +2 defense and -2 speed and mountains give +3 defense and -1 speed.

5. A faction cannot support an army larger than its population, if your population declines below the number of troops you have they will begin to lose health(d20 health every turn), and may desert or go rogue.

If you wish to cast your orders in secret, you must send me a DM containing the Orders, which I must also acknowledge in some way, before rolling.

Orders

How do I control my Faction?
You play as the current leader of your people. Each turn of play, you may issue three kinds of executive orders to your people; Policy, Production, and Science. Each category of orders covers a different facet of your faction.
Policy: Policy orders are related to political and legislative matters within or without your faction, and may be used to write new laws, trade agreements, and other settlements, or impose taxes, trade embargos, as well, they may be used to declare friendship or allegiance, publicly denounce an object of your frustration, or make peace and likewise, declare war. However, Policy is not all hoops and politics, Policy orders also extend to influence your faction’s religion. The base number of Policy orders you can make is equivalent to your Leadership score.

Production: Production orders are related to general construction and the production of various goods from fresh produce, stoneware and metals, to carts, wagons, and seafaring vessels. The number of Production orders you can make is equivalent to your faction’s Economy score.

Science: Science orders are related to the research and development of new ideas and technologies, from world-class cake recipes to humdingers and whatsits. The number of Science orders you can make is equivalent to your faction’s Science score.

Faith

Faith: Your nation’s Faith score represents your nation’s faith in the deity/deities/entity/entities they worship. It may be bolstered via religious facilities, legislation favoring the church/churches, and other similar things. There is no imposed limit to one’s achievable Faith score, the only limit is your imagination, and your deity’s/deities’/entity’s/entities’ patience for your antics. Every three levels grants an additional Policy order. Once you attain a certain level of Faith, the deity/deities/entity/entities your nation worships may begin to intervene or grant boons and blessings to those they see as fit.
All religious nations start with a Faith score of 1 across the board.

Science

Science : Your faction’s Science score represents your total education and hunger for knowledge. It may be bolstered via scientific and educational facilities, legislation favouring the sciences, and other similar things. There is no imposed limit to one’s achievable Science score, the only limit is your imagination, and the room left in the world. Each level grants one Science order. All players start with a Science score of 1 across the board.

1. Technological Mutation As of Year X, each nation will now trigger simple technological mutations after a technology is possessed for long enough. Because, let’s face it, people don’t just use one thing for just that thing they’ve been told it is for forever. Eventually, people start using things for unintended purposes, and sometimes accidentally develop something new. For example, the slinky, penicillin, chocolate chip cookies, potato chips, pacemakers, silly putty, microwave ovens, saccharin, post-it notes, and even fireworks. Many life-changing inventions were created entirely by mistake. However, this is not to say all nations will mutate their technology as intelligibly as the others. This is where having organized education knowledge and technologies will come into direct effect on your nations. Instead of just discovering different technologies in sequence to collect the pieces of your Master-Win-McGuffin-Device, Organized Education makes sure knowledge is correctly spread through your nations, standardizations of any kind are maintained for any amount of time, and just in general makes sure your populace knows what it’s doing for the most part. Aside from this effect, Organized Education will also grant more advanced technological mutations for each genre of knowledge that is taught in your education systems, and the more advanced and complex the knowledge base taught, the more complex and advanced your mutations will be. (edited)
Economy

Economic : Your faction’s Economic score represents your total net wealth. It may be bolstered via trade agreements, labor improvements, and infrastructure. There is no imposed limit to one’s achievable Economic score, the only limit is your imagination. Each level grants one Production order, and three production units you may spend. Once spent, these points are expended. All players start with an Economic score of 1 across the board.

Facilities : There are numerous different kinds of facilities one may construct for their faction, from crafting and manufacturing facilities of various types, to places of learning, facilities for research, recreational/entertainment venues, religious sites, and military installations. Each of these facilities costs a number of production units to build.

Playing the game

You will select your species, each species has a biome preference trait and can have up to 6 traits, each positive trait costs 1-3 points and negative traits adds 1-2 points based on how beneficial/detrimental it is. You start with 2 points(Keep things grounded so no shadow demons, cosmic horror or fire people although there’s nothing preventing you from acquiring or becoming one in the future. Magic aptitude is allowed)
Okay new rule, you must state how many points a trait adds or subtract so I can determine how much their effects effect your gameplay
Then give me your culture, government type, religion description and traits and leader name and appearance

Also I think I can handle 5 people at best
Waiting list:
Skyguy
Nerm

5 Likes

How do we make a species

Its stated in playing the game
Choose your biome preference
Pick 6 custom traits, starts with 2 points. Each traits cost or adds points based on its modifier(s)

how do we format it.

Species
-Name
-Description
-Prefered Climate
-Traits
Civ
-Color
-Name
-Gov
-Religion
–Description
–Traits
-Culture
Leader
-Name
-Title(like king or president)
-Appearance

Also note that you may not get certain technology with certain climates such as no agriculture in poles or cold areas

The golden age of fantasy civic game I see.

let me join:

Summary

Species
Name: Zarsh’u
Prefered Biome: Loam-Loess small hills forest mix (it a real biome, just in geology name)
Traits:
possitive:
Charming: more to unity type and communicate with over civcs, even the most aggressive have some effect
Diligent: bonus to building, farming and research
Endurances: Able to stand out for longer, especially in trading or long turn combat (like siege)

negative:
Herbivore: can’t eat meat
Fragile Carefree: Less hiring troops and combat power overall
Stand out: less in spys and ambush stuff

Description: Homonoid creatures with 4 arms and slightly taller than a normal human. They have 4 blue eyes.

Civ
Color: dark red
Name: Union Lirmash dynasty
Gov: Mercantile Society (it fell to weak, more weaknes then good, even so, i go to that becuse the Plutocratic Republic it more center and less fell like my stily)
Religion: Trvirtvers

Description: civis of Druid-like nomads who are less fond of battles and war but they prefer to trade between them all and serve as a neutral group. The land they have established is fertile land and they, who respect nature, cultivate it into a form of wholeness, and what is left of them, they trade. They can tolerate an animal product (fur or meat) as long as they have not killed it and are not using it.
Traits: Hedonistic/Orthodox/Animistic/Ethnic
Culture: These non-war lovers if they have to defend themselves, prefer to remain neutral and serve as a place of commercial and strong center.

Leader
Name: Yingard
Title: Overseer
Appearance: Tall, mature and intelligent. Usually covered with clothes that match the color of the earth and decorated with jewelry.

That I have a question about the Civ Traits. : From this it? It does not appear in the explanations.

Tell me if everything else is fine for your taste

Also that is supposed to be where you write your religion’s name
You pick a each religion trait on a single side of the /

Theres no such thing

Like so
Traits:Ascetic,Syncretic,Animist,Ethnic

i think i fix that now, i think u shold make a explaple of that.

i hope it ok now

So could you also add the description of your species, I forgot to add that in the template

1 Like

I hope mine is ok

Cool stuff

Species
-Name: Eldritch spidercrab
-Prefered Biome: none (I will start on a plain)
-Traits:
Positive
Body Stealer (allows for the stealing of other beings bodies, each controlled body can (if decided to) be used to increase population growth for a limited amount of rounds, after a while the bodies become unusuable(the bodies are dead so they decay over time))
Terror inducer (They induce fear in their enemies and can lower their stability)
Encoded orders (doesn’t use stability)
Negative
Weapon of terror (can’t have friendly interactions with other civs)
Voracious (Eats a lot)
Killing insticts (will kill anything that isn’t one of its own kind)
-Description: These creatures were created by higher beings as weapons of terror. They look like dark purple spiders with a mask-like pattern on their abdomen and with 2 pincers. When they steal another being’s body they envelope their abdomen around it and make it seem like they are wearing a mask.

Civ
-Color: purple
-Name: Unit 23
-Gov: Military Order
-Religion: Impetuos Cult
–Description: Cult that worships their creators as gods.
–Traits: Ascetic, Orthodox, Theistic, Ethnic
-Culture: Their culture is very belligerent, in which they firmly believe other living beings as greatly inferior and deserving of death and terror. They also believe that religion and military to be deeply interwined and connected.
Leader
-Name: Jaymal
-Title: High priest-warrior
-Appearance: She has a violet exoskeleton with a dark red mask pattern.

Species description please people

There are, in both doom’s and mine

But where tho, can you quote it

As you can see, they are

Stored meat can be used for additional population growth(3),

-2 opposing army’s defence(2)

Doesnt use happiness(1)

Weapons of terror is changed to -5 diplomacy,(1)
Voracious cause 1.25x food consumption(1)
Killing instincts:-2 diplomacy, can’t have any other species in your civ.(2)
You still have a leftover point

Charming:+5 diplomacy (1)
Diligent:+3 to all listed(3)
Endurance:+10 army healthpoints,+2 trade(2)
Herbivore(2)
Fragile:-1 attack, -5% recruitment rate(1)
Stand out:-5 espionage (1)

1 Like

So what can I do with it?

Do you want to make a negative trait milder or a positive trait stronger? If so which one

I want to make body stealer stronger

1 Like