Celestial Body Names

We can do si, that some interesting/important stars can be named by player. Other should be named by AI, accounting the properties of language and culture meaning

2 Likes

If so, what would be considered important? i think that celestial bodies could either be given number designations/names automatically, and if you want to change their name you can.

3 Likes

… Yes. First naming sim.
I definitely don’t rename every bloody location/unit/anything the game will let me in empire builders.

shifty eyes

(When you play as Deutschland and the game can’t assign time period appropriate names for your stuff so you have to do it yourself)

1 Like

I’m being serious, just colour code everything with a dot, there is hardly any need to make it too complicated than to add a specific coloured icon to a specific object e.g. a blue dot with rays reaching out for O class stars, a grey dot for any unknown or small rocky celestial object, a blue dot for water worlds, you know the works.

That could work for a chart or map of sorts, but in the game world, I think it would be really ugly and out of place to use colour-codes, it would replace the naturally generated terrains with generic colours, which could remove a lot of the atmosphere of the stage. I mean, you don’t see colour-coded cells right?

2 Likes

Wait, what? You do know I am refering to the planet’s classification and not the actual planet terrain being coloured brown, right? Just a UI icon by the left of the planet as a tag, not the body itself, that would be a dumb move.

I’m sure that OmnipotentFNarr means when you as the player are looking at the star, BrownWhiteWhiteYellow is more complex then Ryrxo’s Star. On the map the colour code would be visible but in the system, it would have its name.

1 Like

So… Let’s see if I understand this right.
(For terminology, I’m using symbol in that it’s representative, this could be a blue dot, squiggly lines, ect)

Zoomed out:
Loose web of stars, where each has a name and a symbol representing the kind of star, if it has planets, ect

Zoomed partway:
Star: (Name) (Symbol for O, dwarf, ect)

Planets

• (Name) (Symbol for planetary traits)
  • (Other name) (Different symbol if different)

Full zoom:
Actual image of the celestial body, with info?

3 Likes

Well when zoomed out depending on star count it won’t really show. Maybe not even show at all. As of partially zooming, the icon will show, and for full zoom it will plain disappear and you have to collect planet info yourself.