Crashes linked to sound (Windows 10: 64 bit)

Hello, This is my first post and sorry if this seems like a repeat of some of the other sound crashes out there. I cannot get past the tutorial and I am getting something like:

Playing Thrive 0.3.4
Thrive is running. Log output:
Process Started
Loaded new AlphaHit texture: ThriveGeneric.png (2701x1001)
LuaEngine init started

Available Playback Devices:
0): Generic Software on Headset (Realtek High Definition Audio) [DEFAULT]

Attempting default device: Generic Software on Headset (Realtek High Definition Audio)
child process exited with code 3221225477

I have decided to record the events of the crash. It also never skips the tutorial.

Once again, Sorry if this seems like a repeat post, I just wanted to get this out there to the developers.

I am curious as to what would happen if you unplugged your speakers/headphones.

Someone said that they can play the game if they disable their computer’s audio completely.

Maybe the game’s imploding due to an incompatibility with an audio output device?
If so, I’d like to know how that happened.

1 Like

Okay, I will first try unplugging my headphones and if that does not work, I will disable my audio device, Thanks for the suggestions.

Switching to monitor speaker

Playing Thrive 0.3.4

Process Started

LuaEngine init started Available Playback Devices: 0): Generic Software on AMD HDMI Output (AMD High Definition Audio Device) [DEFAULT] Attempting default device: Generic Software on AMD HDMI Output (AMD High Definition Audio Device)

child process exited with code 3221225477

same issue here.

Turning off all of the sound:

Playing Thrive 0.3.4

Process Started

LuaEngine init started Available Playback Devices: Attempting default device: [Error] Failed to Create OpenAL Device.

Failed to get init openAL, retrying attempt 1

[Error] Failed to Create OpenAL Device.

Failed to get init openAL, retrying attempt 2

Failed to get init openAL, retrying attempt 3

Failed to get init openAL, retrying attempt 4

Failed to get init openAL, retrying attempt 5

Failed to get init openAL, retrying attempt 6

[Error] Failed to Create OpenAL Device. Failed to get init openAL, retrying attempt 7

Failed to get init openAL, retrying attempt 8

[Error] Failed to Create OpenAL Device. Failed to get init openAL, retrying attempt 9

ERROR: This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information.

ERROR: Assertion failed! Program: C:\Users\Tallon\Desktop\Thrive\Thrive Launcher-win32-x64\installed\WINDOWS_Thrive.0.3.4\Thrive\bin\Thrive.exe File: C:\Users\Eduardo Gonzalez\Documents\GitHub\Thrive\src\sound\sound_manager.cpp, Line 138 Expression: false && “Failed to initialize openAL (cAudio) after 10 attempts”

child process exited with code 3

Thrive apparently must have a sound device so that it can crash through the tutorial, Its weird how it works.

Not that Thrive wants to crash (I hope), but it’s just that openAL must start, and if it doesn’t, Thrive falsely believes it’s some weird thing going on with the audio drivers, not your game, therefore it results in a crash.

Also, try changing your device to Stereo only. That can be a fix. (though I highly doubt it)

Hello, Thanks for the suggestion but sadly, I do not know how to do that on windows. I cant really find a option.

Alright then, I’d suggest googling fixes for openAL. I am sure you can find something better than I can. Keep lurking. Good luck with your problem, for now I have no clue as to how to solve this.

GREAT NEWS!

I was able to find a fix for the windows 10 bug of crashing.
Head into your thrive folder and go into the bin. Find the OpenAL.dll and delete it. I would not do this though if your game already works fine. Make sure you copy it to the clipboard just in case it does not work.

Hmm. This might indicate that the version of openal previously used by thrive is ancient and that causes issues, which is something that I’ve suspected might be a problem.

Well its good to know its not my computer trying to bomb OpenAL. I hope its fixed soon so that I can try it out. In the meantime, I think I will play some spore since its been a while I played. I am excited to see the development process of this game.

Alright, nice fix! I knew it was something with openAL, I didn’t know what. Have fun with Spore for now, by the way!

I found a fix:

1. delete the OpenAL32.DLL
  2. go to https://www.dll-files.com/openal32.dll.html
    3)download the DLL file
    4)place the .dll file into the bin folder.

I’m guessing that that works because the bundled openal version with the last thrive release is ancient and has issues. Hopefully the next release with a brand new version of openal soft will work for everyone.