Creature Complexity

Oh yeah, that sounds pretty good. It makes sense, and the first play through could essentially be a sort of “training” ground for dealing with a Thrive sans crazy mechanics.

1 Like

I think, it will be cool, if limit of complex of your creature can change with changes in natural habitat or in crearure, like: you can’t develop the lungs, if in atmosphere there isn’t many oxygen or You can’t develop chord and skeleton, if in natural habitat you can’t take enough necessary trace elemets. If you live on ground, you can’t be very much and more.

It would be cool to make a creature with every part, but I have my simplistic idea for what I want to make once the game fully releases. I̶t̶’̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶i̶m̶p̶l̶e̶.

1 Like

The goal is to have realistic limitations. We don’t see creatures on Earth evolving literally everything just because, it takes way too many wasted resources.

Currently related to Thrive we are trying to fix organelle gluttony in the cell stage, so that the player can’t just slap all organelles on their cell.

3 Likes

I meant that it would be cool to make an every-part creature but I don’t want to (sorry for bad sentencing), but I understand from a technical point the strain it might have. It really depends how many parts are in the game

It’s been discussed a lot already, but we aren’t even planning on having any placeable parts in the creature editor. Instead it would be more like sculpting with different tissue types.

For example see this post and the one linked in this:

2 Likes

I like that idea, being able to accidentally killing off your species and having to revert to the previous evolution.

Well, buying all parts could be possible, but it would take more time and effort to do so.

What? We’ve been over this many, many times that there won’t be parts + square cube law and resource costs is absolutely going to wreck any creature trying to get all the different “parts”.

3 Likes

Parts as in making every 1% of cells do a different purpose?

By parts, what is meant are pre-designed features which can not be altered. Think of Spore; to increase your creature’s stats, you would simply exchange a pre-made mouth for another pre-made mouth.

While I do think sculpting via metaballs (think of limbs in Spore) wouldn’t really be effective for making components such as eyes, mouths, wings, etc., they could be useful for making a body shape for your creature. I would think that designing those complex features would require some sort of pre-designated component which tells the editor that said part would function as a mouth, for example; then, editing those parts could be done through wisely upgrading components of that part as you see fit.

2 Likes

I guess making an ant species would be complex… All of the haemolymph, pheromone emitters, pheromone reading, social stomach, solenopsin, anti-freeze agents in the haemolymph and way more. Challenge accepted…?

I was also wondering: we’re not aiming for a Dwarf Fortress level of detail right? I already don’t want to play Dwarf Fortress because of its complexity, and I’m definetely not the only one.

Apart from that, I remember that on the old concepts for the creature editor, there was an option that would allow you to make stuff like horns, claws and any other bony protrusions by removing skin. Is it still a thing? What do you guys think?

It might be an optimal choice to do both; give an option to hand craft absolutely everything down to the parts of the cells and an option to have some basic premade vague features (or more defined things) that you can further edit. Even if their aren’t even basic guiding outlines, a very, very detailed tutorial will be needed for a system that can be crafted down to the cell like that.

2 Likes

I saw an idea like your on the old thrive community wiki, they moved sites, and I personally liked that idea. A premade ‘part’ (don’t get annoyed at someone calling them parts again) that you can slap on or edit, if your feeling adventurous you could even make your own.

4 Likes

One problem with a system involving distinct parts is that in order to simulate gradual undirected evolution, the parts would have to be extremely simple and broad, to the point where the player may as well be hand-crafting any complex bodypart

1 Like

Here is your complexity:

1 Like

Easy, become a plant and eat the Sun

If you’re way bigger than the planet’s life, eat the planet itself! (jk dont do that)

“MMmmmmm tasty Iron, wait why is it hotter down here? Do I smell iron as a liquid? Let’s drink it the-”
Sveve the Terravore