FAQ Thread (read this first)

Welcome to the Thrive Community Forums!

We hope you enjoy your stay! Please read this post before creating or replying to topics, and abide by the community guidelines outlined below at all times.

What is Thrive?

Thrive is a free, open-source game currently being developed by an online volunteer team called Revolutionary Games. Drawing inspiration from numerous simulation and strategy games (in particular the original concept behind the PC game Spore), Thrive is a game about a species’ evolution from unicellular organisms to galaxy-wide space travel.

Our team seeks to accomplish two major goals: create engaging, compelling gameplay that respects our players’ intelligence, and remain as accurate as possible in our depiction of known scientific theory without compromising the former. The eventual game will contain powerful creation tools, allowing players to realistically craft organisms, technology, cultures, and even entire planets. For more detail on what the game is about, check out our wiki.

Important Links

FAQ

For game-related FAQs, see this page: FAQ - Revolutionary Games Studio

For questions on forum functionality, read this: FAQ - Thrive Community Forum

There is also a community maintained introduction thread: The Community's New User Guidance

How do I create a topic?

Simply click the ‘New Topic’ button on the right of the forum navigation pane. Make sure to select the right category. Alternatively, enter the relevant category/subforum and create a post the same way. The category is then assigned automatically.

How do I reply to a topic?

Scroll to the bottom of a thread and click ‘Reply’. If you’re replying to one post in particular, you can click ‘Reply’ on that post and you’ll reply to both it and the whole thread.

I have a really cool idea for the game - where do I put it?

Most ideas should come under Future Game, but be aware that Thrive has been around a while and it may have already been discussed. We also expect a certain amount of feasibility and realism for the game itself, so go nuts talking about space-faring microbes if you wish, but don’t expect everything to be seriously considered by the developers.

Can I ask for gameplay advice?

Please do! Ideally, all gameplay-related posts should go in Current Game. There you can ask questions about the game, as well as post your own achievements or just talk about your general experience.

I need to file a bug report, where do I put it?

Unsurprisingly, in Bug Reports . Include as much detail as you can, including screenshots and logs. This will help us fix the issue as quickly as possible.

Can I help you make the game?

If you think you have the necessary skills to help build the game, visit our Get Involved page to join the team: Get Involved - Revolutionary Games Studio.

Can I help you organize the community?

Certainly. We’re always on the lookout for prospective community managers. While we don’t need too many, we do want to free ourselves from having to look after everything here. Once you’ve been around a while and gotten to know the place, post an application in the Meta subforum. Our community managers will be responsible for answering fans’ questions sensibly, moderating the forum, relaying bug reports and interesting ideas to the devs, and asking devs directly if a more complicated scenario or question comes up.

Why am I microbial/multicellular/aware/etc.?

Your member rank is based on how many posts you’ve made, how many posts you’ve read, and other general metrics of activity. As you level up you’ll rise through the evolutionary ranks.

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Here at the Thrive Community Forum we try to keep a relaxed atmosphere, within which users can chat and enjoy themselves, whilst discussing Thrive. However, there are some rules to keep everything friendly and well-ordered:

1. Respect other members. Any offensive language or posts, whether literal or implicit, is prohibited. Think about what you write before you post it.

2. Keep off-topic posts to a minimum and remember the original creator of the thread’s intention.

3. Do not harass members about the spelling and grammar of their posts; many members do not speak English as a first language.

4. On the flip side, please put your best effort into making sure posts have good grammar, spelling and presentation to avoid confusion. However, we understand that this is difficult for some.

5. Do not advertise without permission from a moderator, admin or developer. This includes links and promotions of things such as private businesses and the like. If you are unsure whether your link counts or not, just ask. We usually allow links to things that are related to Thrive.

6. Do not spam. Spam counts as short, rapid, pointless posts. Perhaps like or add a reaction instead? And don’t avoid the minimum character limit with filler text.

7. Necro-posting is allowed as long as it is relevant and the poster understands that the contributors to the thread before may no longer be around to reply and the interest may have dissipated.

8. Do not double post unless you have a good reason. Edit your post instead.

9. Thrive is not the place for political discussions of the real world. If you absolutely must have a political debate, do it via private message.

10. Keep it clean. We censor swearing (with belgium), do you think we’d let you get away with anything worse? Do not attempt to avoid the censor detecting bad words in your posts by tweaking the spelling.

11. Do not avoid bans by creating a new account.

12. If there is a dispute, please summon a moderator rather than try and sort it yourself. You can report posts using the flag button that is available from the three dots in the bottom right of each post.

13. Please obey the word of the moderators, admins and developers.

14. Refrain from posting non Thrive related memes. Also please do not use reaction images. If you want to post an image that is already on the internet, prefer linking it instead of uploading it to the forums.

15. If your arguments keep getting shutdown with really basic replies, do not come up with more very weak points that are super easy to disprove, you are just wasting everyone’s time and sanity

If you break any of the above rules, you will be given a warning and added to a list of warned users. Three warnings will result in a temporary ban, and if you continue to disrupt the forum upon your return, you could end up permanently banned. However, some actions may be enough to cause you to be banned before you get all three warnings. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

If you are new to Discourse (the forum software used for these forums), please read the introduction about that:

12 Likes