Game Crashes On Startup (LUA engine)

(CaveSpider831) #1

Hello, I was wondering if I could get some help on running the game. When I launch the game, it crashes a couple seconds after I open it. I have tried resetting the settings and that has not worked. If someone can help, I would appreciate that.
Thanks

Loaded new AlphaHit texture: ThriveGeneric.png (2701x1001)
Lua error detected! attempt to call a string value:

Failed to run Lua file: …/scripts\lua_engine
error: attempt to call a string value:

terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘std::runtime_error’
what(): Engine failed to load Lua scripts

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application’s support team for more information.

Could it be that that file has been corrupted while downloading or unzipping. Because that error means that there is a syntax error in that file. So you should try deleting the whole thrive folder and redownloading it (if you use the launcher the folder is in “thrive launcher/installed”, there’s also the downloaded file stored somewhere in the launcher folder which you should delete also for it to redownload it).

(CaveSpider831) #3

I tried reinstalling and it still does the same thing

Does the game show anything except a black window before closing?

Try manually downloading and unzipping a release from here: https://github.com/Revolutionary-Games/Thrive/releases

(CaveSpider831) #5

Yeah it showed nothing but a black screen, but the manual download worked. Thanks!

Edit: It did started crashing again the second time I opened it, so I don’t really know what could be wrong.
It also seems to work if I extract a new version from the zip file, but only the first time.

Something on your computer is causing that file to be changed. I haven’t heard of an antivirus changing text based files, but such a thing might exist. I’m not sure how you could find out what is causing that file to be changed after the first run.