Individual unit control in strategy mode

Alright, “individual unit control after entering strategy mode” it is.

The second the thread was renamed nobody continued on it so i shall revive it and adress a few concerns

TJ whale is concerned about modelling 3D interiors for space ships and making 3D cities well i’d just like to say one thing which is first i thought even the walls as the tech list PDF thing said were to be customized by the player so there isn’t much modelling done by the dev team second although a 3D city would be alot of work to do just know even if you can’t enter a building even if you can’t do anything other than walk i’d still be fun to just explore your own societies city and see your work laid before you about concerns with making it look good don’t have to Supreme commander is a game i’d like to bring up it looks amazing despite its low poly stiff animated appearance the game even has small cities within the 81 KM maps and you can walk around within them with your units they are all fully rendered and don’t look bad though they are a bit plain without much building variety (but thrive has player made buildings ) really i just wanna have a immersive 3D city so that even in far away Strategy mode i have something to look at (3D sprites can be used in early to mid development for a placeholder just to iron out gameplay )

And other concerns are can i play as a soldier and can i run about shooting people bla bla
I remember reading that you can either play aware in a third person or out of the organism’s senses so perhaps to save rendering you could play as a first person mode as a soldier character

Doesn’t even have to look good so long as everything else is fine Graphics can go to the toilet in my opinion you could have poorly animated gun anims and i wouldn’t mind seeing that because theres only so much a small dev team can do plus it’d be fun to pull an Executive assault and just run amok a battlefield just to entertain yourself

I guess the thing I think about is making a battle in CK2 vs Total War. So CK2 is basically two chess pieces throwing numbers at each other, TW is hundreds of individually modeled, rigged and animated units with individual weapons and armour with individual, unit and strategic AI on a modeled landscape.

I’m not saying one is better than the other, but one is 10x or 100x easier than the other.

And anyone who says “oh making TW battles is easy” then please come join the team, we’ve got a tonne of stuff you can work on.

1 Like

my first thought upon laying my eyes on a total war game was HOW THE HELL DID THEY HAVE TIME TO DO ALL THIS

1 Like