Let's talk about: Amphibious civs

I don’t see that being possible unless they are porpoises with prehensile limbs, wearing space suits. But if that’s your jam, go for it. :+1:

i mean porpoises with prehensile limbs that are already adapted to a vacuum due to selecting mates based on who can stay in a vacuum chamber longer as well as looks and viability that found their way into space

This would only be possible if we have genetic engineering added in the space stage (which I hope we will).

1 Like

or a sapient species could select mates based on who can stay in a lower pressure for longer

Oh god…

3 Likes

Inb4 thrive has to include the “there is a second sapient species on land” scenario

3 Likes

All hail our new octopus overlords!

1 Like

So, i change the name of the thread, so we can talk not only about alien frog civs, but also about alien beaver civs.

Yeahh…is like one of those creatures can hold the breath indefinitely. Alien octopus could store water in their gills, but that would be used to move from the sea to tide pools, and there’s nothing that can stop these alien octopus to build Waterways, and artificial tide pools to “move in land”, and get resources, like rocks, wax, wood, metal…even if they have to build those waterways and artificial tide pools during high tides.

I think this could be a basic template of “land first” amphibious civ:

Summary

Timberborn? haha

The collection of food by rodents enables them to acquire flexible forelimbs.

Then discuss the characteristics of a terrestrial species with water resistant fur and swimming ability, and what unique primitive technologies will be developed. Cross river athletic ability? Waterway? Kelp Farm?

1 Like

Maybe, considering their enviroment…maybe dams would be developed early, or underwater structures.

Kelp farming should definitely be possible in Thrive. Dams would need more work to implement. They’ll probably be included eventually, though.

2 Likes

Amphibious civ turning all of the water into farm and all of the land into city for that maximum efficency:

3 Likes

By the time you build a ecumenopolis, you would already have access to fusion or have a dyson swarm going on so that the energy needs can be satisfied, so whether or not you could build cities in or on the sea at the beginning of the society stage wouldn’t matter. The most analogous thing to an amphibious civ would be the Nile delta, you have water and it is flat terrain so you can farm anywhere, but as you build cities the area for farmland decreases, unless you farm on the roofs, but the population is still capped because the metabolism rate of heterotrophs is way higher than plants.

But if we discarded farming in favor of using solar panels with an efficiency 20 times more than photosynthesis, we could already fill the planet with a human for every 0.25 square meters. All we need to do is become robots. But verticalization of cities would still probably happen because it is more efficient if people who have jobs that are intertwined logisticly live close to each other. And you can go the other extreme. There can be a single hive city in the planet. And a natural disaster can take it out all at once.

1 Like

I’m wondering if amphibious civs could built pools to use it according to their necessities (a “water first” could use it to raise their babies, and avoid their skin to get dry)

4 Likes