Modding Questions

Ask modding questions here.

I’ll start:
Which asset in Thrive/tree/master/assets/textures is normal membrane texture?

you would probably think it would be the MembraneNormals.png (at least I thought it was), but it actually FresnelGradient.png

1 Like

Can someone send image of SilicaMembrane texture? I need to know how it is made so i can make my own.

edit: is it’s shape looking like this?

Looking in membranes.jsonhas the answer:

If you don’t have git LFS to clone the Thrive repo, you can browse the files on the ThriveDevCenter here: ThriveDevCenter

Do i need every game asset to do small change in a script?

You don’t. And you shouldn’t unnecessarily put assets into your mod because that has licensing ramifications on top of requiring people who want to play your mod to download hundreds of megabytes of useless data.

When trying to export to .pck, engine throws errors regarding script
resources:

probably because it doesnt have resources it normally has.

You are misunderstanding how C# works. You can’t compile just one file. The C# compilation takes in all of the source code at once and produces one .dll file. This means that what you are trying to do is not possible. Because the only way that would work is if you compiled all of the game source code into a .dll file that replaces the game’s normal code. That would make your mod incompatible with any other code mod.

To make a code mod properly you need to either create a separate C# project that calls the game methods to register to game event callbacks or using Harmony to live patch the game. This is outlined on the modding wiki page:

Copying code from the game has many licensing ramifications (as you are basically making a variant of Thrive rather than an add-on loadable mod): Thrive/LICENSE.txt at master · Revolutionary-Games/Thrive · GitHub

i think im uncapable of understanding it

which way is best and how do i even do it?
Example mods such as damage numbers are made of some files (visual studiofiles?) and i don’t undestand them too tbh

Which way you should make a mod depends on entirely what you want the mod to do. Do you want to just replace some graphics or game configuration files? Or does the mod need to contain code that does something? And then finally does that code need to interact with the existing code in Thrive?

C# needs to be compiled before it can run, that’s why the damage numbers mod has C# project files that specify how the source code for the mod is compiled.

I’m always extremely busy with an endless list of things to do for Thrive, so I’ve been hoping that other people would write in depth modding tutorials.

1 Like

how should i go about making an auto-evo mod?

Auto-evo is written in C#, so you need to use Harmony (which is inbuilt to Thrive) or another system that allows you to inject C# code to existing methods.

Here’s an example mod I made that uses that Harmony approach: