Multispecific Organisms

I think it would be good if we could create multicellular things with multiple species:
COMPLEX SPONGE
One way could be by playing as a sponge-like creature, with no mucus membranes or other ways to protect against microbes. So, you must adapt your creature to live with the microbes, and so, become a multispecific organism.
MULTISPECIFIC COLONY
Another way could be if many species of cells work together mutualistically, and evolve into a multicellular organism.

The 2nd idea is the point of the Multi-cellular stage.

Isn’t it just normally one species in multicellular organisms?

Yes, but each cell is specialized. Like the Media and Mimin casts of Atta Sexdens, same species but a whole different form. Each form helps the colony like each specialized cell helps their colony

They are still the same species, not multiple species in symbiosis

I’ve never seen any species work in harmony, with spiders and frogs its because they both get something out of it but the spider always kills the frog in the end.

Many species work together exclusively, such as clownfish and anemones

1 Like

I thought we were talking about cells and terrestrial species, but yes they do.

Akshuallllyyyyyy, clownfishes are immune to anemones’ poison, so they can hide from their predators safely, but the anemones don’t get anything out of it.

The clownfish defend the anemone

No, anemones are poisonous, which is why most animals don’t go nearby.

OK, I was wrong…

Symbiosis with both parties prospering clearly exist, but that is not what this thread is about. (Just in general a complaint: can people please just Google something before making a statement if they’re not sure about something? Half the questions/statements on this forum can be answered/debunked with single Google search, not even requiring you to read more than Google’s auto-generated excerpt.)

But more on topic: how about endosymbiosis? In this case a separate creature basically melded with another one, to the point where the cell can even govern when the mitochondrion reproduces. The theory of endosymbiosis being true would mean that, while very unlikely, (probably only happened twice during the entire development from soup to us,) two organisms can ‘join’ to a single one.

4 Likes

Symbiosis with both parties prospering clearly exist, but that is not what this thread is about. (Just in general a complaint: can people please just Google something before making a statement if they’re not sure about something? Half the questions/statements on this forum can be answered/debunked with single Google search, not even requiring you to read more than Google’s auto-generated excerpt.)

While I’m not a regular here, I know this happens often. Sometimes it’s easy to accidentally look over some details like the Atta/Fungus relationship however .

But more on topic: how about endosymbiosis? In this case a separate creature basically melded with another one, to the point where the cell can even govern when the mitochondrion reproduces. The theory of endosymbiosis being true would mean that, while very unlikely, (probably only happened twice during the entire development from soup to us,) two organisms can ‘join’ to a single one.

This seems like an interesting idea, I wonder if there (if this is even implemented) is a chance this can fail. Like the other cell ‘refuses’.