Politics

This thread is for politics talk. You can talk about a subject and discuss it here instead of misc thread. Make sure to title your discussion, so that many can discuss multiple subjects at a time.

Example

Subject A

Text A

Subject B

Text B

If you are saying that just because there’s a debate going on about someone it has to mean that at least one part lies, then I can’t agree with you. If they are politicians then yes, since they all lie to some extent, they are no journalists. If they on the other hand are anything else, then it’s very possible gossip but it’s also possible that there’s no gossip.

What scares me is this “corrupt mainstream media lies, I must do my own research about things, I must find the truth so I can punish those who are wrong! I am my own journalist!” It simply creates a “we against them” mentality on a whole other level. A level that has proven dangerous to democracy since it in itself justifies prejudice and conspiracies not to mention that this mentality will always hinder science. If you see yourself or anyone else/some other group in society as the “one and only true” news source then you have effectively killed the whole debate. I can’t debate with someone who already decided to be “the sole harbinger of truth” because they will never compromise with me. I like to believe that politics is all about being able to make comprimises, but since I will never be able to prove that one I won’t force that thought onto someone else. I won’t punish you for not thinking like me, that’s basically very dangerous and you know why.

In politics you can never prove something, there’s no “right or wrong”, very similar to religion. If you choose to believe in an ideology then you will undoubtly be selective in your search. We all have some kind of moral, some kind of compass to guide us trough life and to help us in decision making. I don’t view gun-supporters for instance as “extremists” even if society as a whole might do that, they surely have their reasons to support it.

Something that is left for you may be right for me. Seriously, I live in Sweden and we actually have some fossils in our parliament. We both have a former communist party and a right populist party with roots in the neo-nazi movement. For the most part however, we are percieved to be a general social democratic country by the outside world. I see nothing wrong in that and no, there’s no corruption going on here I can tell you that much. Fact is, Sweden is at her economic peak at the moment.

The world is however on it’s way down an economic recession at the moment so I wish politicans good luck in making people content… They will need it, especially if they haven’t got a favourable opinion among said people. :grin:

1 Like

My quote which you responded to was an example of what people can say. I didn’t express my own opinion, but what I experience that many people think about mainstream media. People think that mainstream media is lying, that is what scares me.

With “gossip” I basically mean lies.

Ye, I generally agree with what you are saying.

Just for your information; Fox News is, as far as I know, not considered “mainstream media” but please do correct me if I am wrong. What I consider being mainstream is for example SVT here in Sweden, the state subsided channels. Just because they are owned by the state does not by any means mean that they would be bad, quite the opposite in fact. Again, feel free to correct me but I think that CNN may be considered public service in USA (that would make it state owned)?

Privately owned business may see in their best interest to “censor” certain opinions/ideas that risk to harm the number of viewers. Fox News is a typical example.

You are perfectly correct in that it’s an international notion. I would however also say that it’s a bit more complicated than that. Let’s take the Democratic party in the USA for example. I bet that most people in the states view the Democrats as being “at the left of the Republicans”. Now let us compare the democratic party with our “Moderaterna” party in Sweden. I would say that the American Democratic party is “at the right side of the Moderaterna”.

I don’t have a picture of the American parliament in my head so I don’t know if it even is anything to the left of the Democrats but if I would go to the far left end of our parliament here in Sweden then I would end up on the aforementioned communist party which I of course does not want to compare anything to since it would neither serve any greater purpose nor be a fair thing to do.

1 Like

This went badly the last time a dedicated thread about politics was made:

I’m closing this as a duplicate. If someone wants that thread to be reopened, you need to convince a couple moderators that it is a good idea.

2 Likes