Sight

if you mean this for microbial or early multicellurlar stage i would agree, but what if you have a threedimensional view? how to show the scents coming from in front or behind of you?
i would therefor still go with my little compass thingy,
and i would rahter have it to have scent trails when you have evolved superior smelling like a dog and only the compass or the edge-of-the-screen-mist if you have smelling like a human.

In ass assassins creed you have a ring around your character for detection and that’s the first thing that came to mind. But I like you compass idea i just worry about the paths because of that game i played. I could see a lizard hidin in the grass on top of a huge hill because the blue color of the scent stuck out in the black of the night

I feel like scent could work similar to how WolfQuest did it. Though the path to whatever your creature is smelling would only be applicable if you creature has a more advanced smell organ similar to a dog or a shark. If the creature doesn’t have an advanced scent organ the path could randomly vanish, go the wrong way or other scents could disrupt the path.

2 Likes

On the topic of how to display scent visually, it would almost be better to only see clouds of scent that linger in the air around an object and where it was recently and the closer to the object the more refined the shape would be so you would almost see a creature like you would with eyes depending on how good your sense of smell was. The better your sense of smell the longer the clouds would trail behind and with the wind while also making the source more refined in shape. The one problem is if something has a really strong scent or could spray scent like a scunk, you could get “blinded” by the overpowering oder and only could “see” that scent. This would be a good thing for stuff like the ground and plantlife as they would sort of fade out when stronger scents are around.

4 Likes

A question I have been wondering about is will all creatures be able to see color or will that be something a creature could evolve to be able to see? If it’s evolved will you be able to have a creature that could see in ultraviolet for example?

You would need to adapt to see colour, yes. Until then, different forms of reception could possibly allow colour sight for gameplay purposes.

What about colors we cant see?

Can you please explain in more detail? Is it like waves?

What ya think that we can see every single color in the universe
The human eye can still not see some colors,they are replaced with gray

cool, I didn’t know about grey colors like that… Thanks for the insight.

That’s… multiple kinds of wrong.

There are kinds of “light” that we can’t see (any electromagnetic radiation outside of the visible spectrum), the best examples being ultraviolet (with a wavelength to short for our eyes to see) and infrared (with a wavelength that is too long) (there are also a lot of other things such as radiowaves in the same category, but I won’t list all of them). We can’t see these colours, so if you were to “light” up a room using only infrared, it would be completely dark to our eyes. Some creatures, however, can see them (I.E. bees can see ultraviolet), and we can’t comprehend what they would possible “look like” (as in, any colour we can think of is a mixture between visible colours).

The idea that colours we can’t see are replaced with grey most likely comes from colour blinds, who can’t see certain colours (they don’t have some of the cone cells on their retina’s/they don’t work), but they can see those colours using the rods on the retina’s. However these rods only show black-and-white, so a room lit up using only a colour they can’t see looks grey.

3 Likes

It would make sense to display a limited view (black and white / only a certain range) even if the creature is blind and uses echolocation. Maybe it would only update in certain intervalls but limiting it more than that would make it quite hard gamplay wise as the creature would be used to being “blind” but the player wouldnt be. Same goes for other Senses that the creature is missing but can be compensated through others.