Space whales

i wasn’t done writing it

That is way to small. Mars is cold and frozen today because it was to small to keep its internal heat up. An asteroid would not be able to sustain a molten core condusive to a magnetic field

if you are going to pay attention pay attention to the whole thing i said or pockets of fluid and/or moist gas as well

And how, how could then these creatures living in water / gas pockets get out of the asteroid in order to jump into space? If they make a hole their precious environment will be exposed to space and leak out.

also even if life did exist on an asteroid
it would take millions of years to even get basic cells, and billions of years to get anything resembling animals/plants
i doubt that an asteroid would stay intact during all that time, especially with other asteroids around, ready to crash into eachother

2 Likes

Yes, BUT there is no magnetic field, so no life

no magnetic field does not equal no life, high radiation does equal no life, no radiation = life eventually

I’m not so sure about that

There needs tl be enough heat to be able to produce the basic building blocks of light.

didn’t i say in a goldilocks zone

why does that even matter?
the asteroid would only get heat from the sun, so the water in it will either evaporate if its on the outside, or stay frozen if its on the inside

That’s only for liquid water to exist

What about a moon of a gas giant? Its core would be heated with tidal forces, and it would be protected with the magnetic field of the gas giant. Maybe it could be big enough to support life, but small enough to allow it to exit the planet (with geysers or biologic rockets)

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. All life generates heat (and there is light in space, a creature can change its albedo to maintain its temperature) but having a temperature lower than the enviroment (like sweating) is much more complicated and rare.

It doesn’t have to be better than the previous patch to be colonised. If life can go there and survive, it would. It has the energy source, it only needs to bring materials from the planet to build a nest in the orbit. It could be a safe haven from predetors which can’t get into orbit.

Then it wouldn’t be an asteroid

I think they are trying to develop the idea of space whales, not asteroidal life

a large asteroid spinning would also work for that

No it wouldnt? Again, asteroids dont have magnetic fields, and cannot internally heat itself.

gas giants do i meant it would be orbiting a gas giant which would heat it on the dark side by pulling on it and protect it from radiation

1 Like

At that point if it was large enough it would no longer be an asteroid, but a moon, which is a different conversation entirely

At which point it would become a moon - even if it was tiny. Which is exactly what I said previously