Specialization and agriculture underwater

How about doing it in a whale fashion.

First become land animal, get all what you want.
Then go back to ocean and stay there.

atalantic

Once you enter the awakening stage, you wouldn’t be able to evolve much, certainly not enough to become aquatic

Yes but actually no. You see, we don’t just stop evolution after we learn to talk to each other about ideas, that’s not how that works. It’s simply the progression of technology is more exponential while average rate of mutation seems the same. This makes things look like they go really fast, but really after a few generations you are still kind of evolving. There are unique cases of adaptations we humans share as well, and some obviously beneficial. I all depends on how thrive condenses time, and how time will be taken.

While there still would be evolvution, there wouldn’t be enough time between creating a stable society and leaving the planet for a species to become aquatic. And even if they could, it is quite likely that something important to their society couldn’t be translated into an aquatic form

What advantage does going under water have for a land bound civilization? If climate change is sinking their continent, it’s possible. Two limits on that though: One: boats, if you are civilized boats are far quicker then evolving, also if you live on a boat for three generations (a pointlessly liberal estemite) it is unlikely for you to evolve anything but a increase in the efectivness of untrained swimmers to the point they don’t imidiately die. Two: time, if you are already a, say, fishing critter (crocs, penguins or sea sloths) who spends hours a day under water, coming ashore to roast your fish and warm up by the fire, a sinking continent the takes two million years might, and I say might, not will, let you become say, turtle or seal level aqaticness, that is, still breading on land. But, that is only possible if you have only just discovered fire when you begin to be selected to live underwater. Any more advanced and you will be too advanced to evolve at the normal game pace. Any less advanced and you will have to discover fire underwater, and we pretty much have a whole thread or ten for that and have no conclusive answer. Also you actually have to have a player playing the creatures as nature wouldn’t see any advantage to keeping your fire when there is little land to like it on and little time to use it. Anyways that’s my two cents.

This seems off-topic; This thread was about societies forming underwater, not societies forming on land and going underwater

1 Like

I know, it’s odd. I fine with it, as there is no dedicated thread for it yet.