Cell size with Nuclear grade and Maintain shape Consumption

When I add nucleus to my cell, I feel puzzled. It’s so expensive that I can’t add other organelle. It’s so large that my cell expands to about twice its original size.
We need a transition plan between eukaryotes and prokaryotes. It can consult Gemmata obscuriglobus. It has a original Nucleus. And it has endocytosis ability, which most prokaryotes don’t have.

It also can consult Myojin parakaryote.
edit:

One idea is to provide the nucleus with a certain Osmolation Cost, while also providing a reduction in Osmolation Cost ratio like membrane type. It will encourage large cells to evolve nucleus and inhibit small cells.

Myojin parakaryote, has a large nucleoid structure surrounded by a single-layer nuclear membrane without nuclear pore.

3 Likes

Yeah, i suppose its meant to be that way. In order to have a nucleus, i’d reccomend having like 30-40 extra atp to spare in your cell before adding it.
but i like your idea :slight_smile:

I have a idea about nucleu evolution.
1.Free DNA [1]

2.Circular DNA(nucleoid) [3]

3.Original Nucleus [7]

4.Nucleus [10]

DNA and Gene

Although the genetic material of most bacteria is composed of a circular DNA and multiple plasmids, some bacteria have linear DNA instead of circular DNA, like Burkholderia cepacia, which has 3 linear DNA.

Is it feasible to limit the number and kinds of organelle by nuclear level? Additional expansion can be achieved by plasmids or small nuclears. It promotes species specialization, or upgrading nuclear, or turning to Multicellular organism.

Perhaps we need genetic complexity. It can also serve as a condition for nuclear upgrading. Not necessarily an absolute limit, it can be a penalty when overstepping.

One view is that monolayer organelle come from the invagination of cell membrane folding, and bilayer organelle come from endosymbiosis.

Film-like organelle in prokaryotes

With the advancement of observation technology, humans have discovered film-like organelle in prokaryotes too. Such as
Photosynthetic membrane (photoreaction, may prototype of thylakoid?),
Vacuole (Storage and osmotic regulation) ,
Gas vesicle (Regulating cell specific gravity),
Magnetosome (magnetotactic bacteria, positioning and guidance),
Anammoxosome ( Candidatus Scalindua),
and so on.

The special one is the mesosoma, which is a special invagination structure of the cell membrane, also called chondroid, the sites of aerobic respiration.

Metabolosomes (Heterotrophic metabolism) ,[Membraneless , bacterial micro-compartments]
carboxysome(Carbon sequestration and poison production),[Membraneless , bacterial micro-compartments]

Unlock organelle

The idea of endosymbiosisto unlock organelle:
Mitochondrion: Engulf cells containing mesosomes.
Chloroplast: Engulf cells containing photosynthetic membrane and carboxysome .

An idea to associate membrane level with cell structure:
1.Free DNA: Membraneless organelle, protein, mesosoma;
2.Circular DNA(nucleoid): Unlock film-like organelle, allowing engulf block of nutrition;
3.Original Nucleus: Allowing engulf cell, internal symbiosis but limiting the kind of organelle obtained by endosymbiosis;
4.Nucleus: Unlimited kind of organelle obtained by endosymbiosis.

An obvious situation is that the cell size inside the game is not very realistic. For example, in reality, mitochondria and Escherichia coli are similar in size, but the mitochondria in the game are only 2 hexes, and the creatures of 2 hexes are basically invisible in the game (10hexes are directly displayed in an automatic evo).

One idea is that for different levels of nuclei, the actual length and volume corresponding to each hex are different. (It means Size ≠ HexCount, and reflects the actual size of cells, affects EngulfSize .)

Engulf Ability and Engulf Resistance

By the way, I think EngulfSize can be further refined into EngulfAbility and EngulfResistance. Compare the EngulfAbility of the devourer with the EngulfResistance targets . For example, membrane type and fluidity can be regulated to affect EngulfAbility , and pilus and capsule can be used to enhance EngulfResistance.
There is currently only one 1.5 coefficient in EngulfSize.

According to mitochondrial 2 * 1 (hex) corresponding to 1.6 * 0.8 (µm)

For each hex:

Nuclear type Length Size
Free DNA: 0.1(µm/hex) 0.25(size/hex)
Circular DNA: 0.2(µm/hex) 1(size/hex)
Original Nucleus: 0.4(µm/hex) 4(size/hex)
Nucleus: 0.8(µm/hex) 16(size/hex)
OR
Nuclear type Length Size
Free DNA and Circular DNA: 0.2(µm/hex) 1(size/hex)
Original Nucleus: 0.4(µm/hex) 4(size/hex)
Nucleus: 0.8(µm/hex) 16(size/hex)

Expected hex quantity: {(Length,Diameter); (Ball Diameter)}

Nuclear type Main hex range Expected upgrade point Realistic examples
Free DNA: 0~16 hex 12 hex Mycoplasma, Chlamydia: 4~7 hex(0.2~0.3µm)
Minimal bacilli: 12[10] hex (0.5µm,0.2~0.3µm)
Circular DNA: 10~80 hex 40 hex Small bacilli: 14[11] hex (1.2µm,0.4µm)
E.Coli and Mitochondria: 26[22] hex (1.6µm,0.6µm)
Large bacilli: 72[67] hex (4.6µm,0.6µm)
Small coccus: 11[7] hex (0.6µm)
Single coccus: 24[20] hex (1µm)
Original Nucleus: 28~… hex 60 hex Gemmata obscuriglobus:26[20] hex (2µm)
Myojin parakaryote:[110 hex (10µm,3µm)
Thiomargarita magnifica{ The max-length is 2 cm}
Nucleus: 40~… hex (Multicellular) Chlorella: [56] hex (6µm)
Monosiga brevicollis: [127] hex (10µm)
Plant Cell: [127] hex (10µm)
Animal Cell: [271] hex (15µm)

edit:
Try to use a simple exponential function to estimate nonlinear osmoregulation consumption, or think more deeply about cell passive consumption.

At present, cell surface area has not been added to the game. Considering the role of cell surface area in osmoregulation, Osmoregulation consumption represents the energy consumed by cells to maintain cellular homeostasis through material transport through membrane structures.

For increased energy consumption caused by increased cell size, Maintain shape consultation should be a good name.

Osmolation Consumption represents the consumption of matter exchanged between cells and the environment to maintain a steady state, depending on the Osmolation Consumption Base and the relative surface area.

Maintain shape consumption represents the control of the cell nucleus over the intracellular structure, depending on the nuclear type and hexcount.

When you place a organelle, this will add your cell an Osmoregulation Consumption Base and hexcount increase. Under this framework, different intracellular structures have different Osmoregulation Consumption Base, and membrane Organelle should have advantages over bacterial micro components in this respect.

Perhaps the membrane type can affect Osmoreconsumption and Maintain shape consumption. The more complex membrane and extracellular structure result in an increase in Osmogulation Consumption and a decrease in Maintain shape Consumption.

(I realized a problem. If we follow this idea, the mechanism of copying organelle with the progress of reproduction in the game must be modified, or else we will find that the Maintain shape Consumption suddenly explodes.)

X=hexcount

y=e^(s(x+b))+c

Nuclear type Color s b c
Free DNA: RED 0.24 -7.2 0.9
Circular DNA: BLUE 0.075 -6.3 2.5
Original Nucleus: Orange 0.026 44.4 6
Nucleus: Purple 0.0167 27.4 16.44

For the two-level nuclei of the current game, data Free DNA and Original Nucleus can be used.

4 Likes