THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 1)

Pumpkin has been strangely inactive recently, why’s that?

I mean, he has posted almost daily, but only about one or two posts. Is this the downfall of the Mechanical Pumpkin?

Uhhh…

5 Likes

It’s because I have school and also because I am currently active in a wiki for a book series (I think I have like one thousand edits there now but most of them one from posting in roleplays) so I’m kind of losing interest in keeping my role as speedrunner of the forums but still following the game’s progress. Who knows, when I can actually learn how to animate properly I’ll begin posting more in the forums.
Also I am very active in the Roblox game A Bizarre Day and fairly active in its community so yea that might explain some things.

4 Likes

I suppose it shows what’s possible (at least with gdnative that they used). But once again that has 0 code shown. Can’t use what isn’t available.
Also I’m kinda disappointed that no one has mentioned Thrive there, especially as we use Godot.

6 Likes

I’m spacefaring, now give me Barnard’s Star

3 Likes
What security software should a Linux user have?

I literally have not noticed that until you mentioned it.

1 Like

Right now the only people who post here and aren’t spacefaring are LordLovat and I.

3 Likes

None. The only “Linux” anti-virus software I know of are mainly useful for scanning emails and file uploads against Windows viruses to protect Windows users.
Well I suppose security software includes stuff like SELinux that is configured by default.

1 Like
So ESET on Linux doesn’t do anything? How can I protect myself from hackers?
1 Like

I tried to search for reviews about that, and didn’t really find anything. So not promising.
How you stay safe on Linux is to primarily only install software with the package manager, everything in there is compiled by your distro (or debian if you use Ubuntu or one of the copycats) and with signed file checks it’s guaranteed that you always get the right files.
So if you just install software with the package manager it is pretty guaranteed to be safe.
If you need some other software then you really need to look at the distributor of that software and determine for yourself if you trust running their software on your computer.

1 Like
What would you recommend between Ubuntu and Mint?
1 Like

My opinion is:
Ubuntu - negative
Mint - neutral

If those are the only choices I’d recommend mint because I have a negative opinion of Ubuntu.

1 Like
Then why were you on Ubuntu in your tutorial video for Leviathan?
1 Like

Because it is very popular, so I thought that showing that the setup easily works on Ubuntu was necessary.

1 Like
What distro do you use? Which one is best for Steam? It seems that Valve recommends more Ubuntu than any other. Why?
1 Like

Fedora. I’ve been thinking about CentOS recently as they released 8 and so actually have up to date stuff.
For a first time user I can’t really recommend Fedora as they really quickly update kernels etc. causing issues quite often.

It’s popular. Why everyone recommends Ubuntu is that it is popular, and as such it has the most community support etc. when you have issues.
Why I don’t recommend Ubuntu is that the company developing it does some questionable decisions.

1 Like
I guess I’d go with Mint then. Why are you neutral on Mint? Have they done anything wrong?
Also, it just seems that in minimum requirements for Valve games, they only put Ubuntu and not Mint in OS spec.
1 Like

I’ve used Steam for the past quite a few years on Fedora and besides the really occasional wrongly named library / setting I need to work around, it just works.

I haven’t used Mint myself, but what I’ve heard it’s good. I haven’t really used Ubuntu myself but the things I’ve heard about it, a lot of them are about the questionable decisions they make.

2 Likes
Do you think Mint and Ubuntu have the same GPU/CPU drivers since they are in the same family?
1 Like

Maybe, probably? I don’t know as I haven’t looked into it.
If you have AMD, you basically want as new kernel and mesa version as you can get to get the best drivers.
For nvidia you need their proprietary driver, which is differently packaged for different distros (and for Fedora there are at least 2 different options that work a bit differently, I personally use negativo’s nvidia package). Mint and Ubuntu might have the same nvidia driver package.

2 Likes