THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 1)

i bought it 10 hours ago :`)

3 Likes

My regular status seems to have gotten removed now after basically almost a year of forgetting the forums exist

Honestly itā€™s kind of mind-boggling to me now how active I used to be when now I basically just rise from the grave every two or so odd months to post one piece of art

8 Likes

its already realest?!
I bought it now

7 Likes

It seems to be a constant. Someone with artistic skills arrives on the forums and has an unkillable posting spree for months and then disappear & reappear from time to time.

So far, this is the case of RoboRomb & you.

I was playing Cyberpunk 2077 yesterday. My only complaints :

• Performance. The Recommended Requirements for the GPU says that it should be a GTX 1660 Super. Mine is a GTX 1660. Yet, I canā€™t go further than 50 FPS on Low settings. DAMN!
  • The game always feels so intense that I never what Iā€™m picking up or looting. Even when everything is calm, I feel under stress and donā€™t bother much about what Iā€™m looting. When I do, the name of the item doesnā€™t even ring a bell in my head.

Also, about the Steam release of Thrive, I was surprised to see that itā€™s 5.69$CDN, but I guess thatā€™s the conversion, eh. Thereā€™s also the provincial tax, but thatā€™s only a thing in the Quebec province (I think?).

3 Likes

*double post

Here were my questions and their answersā€¦

Question 1: On a scale of 1 (highest) to 10 (lowest), what is your priorityā€¦

1. ā€¦to program stage prototypes?
  2. What are the other priorities? How important are they (use the scale mentioned above)?

Answer 1:

[hhyyrylainen]

1. Fix Launching Issues on Steam
  2. Mod Loader
  3. Patch release
  4. Crash Reporting feature
  5. Chemoreceptor feature
  6. Early Multicellular
  7. Stage Prototypes

[Maxonovien]

1. Improve Quality & Performance
  2. ā€œEtchingā€ the world
  3. Evolution of compounds
  4. Day/Night Cycle

Also, fix the auto-evo and spawn systems.

Question 2: Also, do you think Thrive will win a Steam Award when it leaves Early Access status?

If it is ever finishedā€¦
ā€¦and if humanity/Earth isnā€™t dead by then.

Answer 2: Perhaps it will win an award when it leaves Early Access. Hopefully, it could at least win the ā€œLabor of Loveā€ award.

Note 2: ā€œLabor of Loveā€ can be won for any game of any year.

Question 3: Is there any concept art of Steam goodies (Special profiles, cards, profile backgrounds, emoticons, animated emoticons, stickers, etc.)? Any suggestion?

Answer 3: The game apparently needs more players before those can made.

When do you think a Steam workshop could be added to the Steam release?

Update: So it already has a workshop!

Question 4: In how much time do you think the Thrive GitHub will get to the size limit?

Answer 4: The max GitHub repo size ranges from 1 GB to 5 GB. When it exceeds this limit, Thrive will need an alternative to GitHub.

Random question that wasnā€™t in OP: @hhyyrylainen, what do you think about Windows 11?

:man_office_worker: :microphone: :male_detective:

The music notes are bit out of context, though.

I donā€™t particularly like that they seem to be ruining the mouse and keyboard desktop experience in favour of being tablet friendly. And the fact that they promised 10 would be the last version.
Anyway I broke Windows install on my main computer, and the windows installer is pure garbage and it doesnā€™t manage to reinstall it, so Iā€™m not very concerned about it. Iā€™ll keep using my laptop with Windows 10 (and it says Windows 11 is not supported on the CPU) as long as it works for Thrive Windows builds.

misread this as 150 YEARS.

150 months = 12.5 years. Not bad. Not bad at all. But it all depends on what happens in the political world.

How so? Unless there is an international crisis, i dont expect much to change

Climate change, dude. Climate change is threatening our very existence, yet those oil & gas companies donā€™t seem to understand that their current profit is short lived if they donā€™t regulate their activities. That also includes Republicans (USA) and the Chinese government.

I was about to say that climate change wasnt political, but then i thought about it for 0.01 seconds and realized it totally is.

Congrats on another update, even though iā€™m not active here anymore iā€™m still checking every new update.

6 Likes

It wasnā€™t supposed to be political, but eh, Americansā€¦

As an American, BELGIUMING AMERICANs goshdarnit.

Well, itā€™s not all Americans, of course. Just pretty much half of them.

The vocal half, sadly.

All sides are vocal in America. Its a race to who can become the most extreme the fastest.

We should maybe stop talking about politics before we are all banned

4 Likes

Making a note to myself about GLua OOP (GMod Lua).

Garry's Mod
garrysmod
gamemodes
mygamemode
gamemode
init.lua
AddCSLuaFile("cl_init.lua")
AddCSLuaFile("shared.lua")
AddCSLuaFile("class_fruit.lua")
AddCSLuaFile("class_animal.lua")
AddCSLuaFile("class_dog.lua")

include("shared.lua")
include("class_fruit.lua")
include("class_animal.lua")
include("class_dog.lua")

function GM:PlayerSpawn(ply)
    local banana = Fruit:new(nil)
    banana:printTable()

local dogo = Dog:New(nil)
    dogo:PrintInformation()
end
shared.lua
GM.Name = "My Gamemode"
GM.Author = "N/A"

function GM:Initialize()
    -- ???
end
cl_init.lua

include("shared.lua")

class_fruit.lua
Fruit = {}
Fruit.Taste = "Sweet"
Fruit.Cost = 5.00

function Fruit:new(o, taste, cost)
    o = o or {}
    setmetatable(o, self)
    self.__index = self
    self.Taste = taste or "Sweet"
    self.Cost = cost or 5.00
    return o
end

function Fruit:printTable()
    print(self.Taste)
    print(self.Cost)
end
class_animal.lua
Animal = {}
Animal.Cry = "What the fuck!?"
Animal.Species = "Animal"

function Animal:New(o, cry, species)
    o = o or {}
    setmetatable(o, self)
    self.__index = self
    self.Cry = cry or "What the fuck!?"
    self.Species = species or "Animal"
    return o
end

function Animal:Yell()
    print(self.Cry)
end

function Animal:PrintInformation()
    print(self.Species)
end
class_dog.lua
Dog = Animal:New(nil, "Woof", "Dog")
Dog.Gender = "Male"

function Dog:New(o, cry, gender, species)
    o = o or {}
    setmetatable(o, self)
    self.__index = self
    self.Cry = cry or "Woof"
    self.Gender = gender or "Male"
    self.Species = species or "Dog"
    return o
end

function Dog:PrintInformation()
    print(self.Species)
    print(self.Gender)
end

Normally, it should work. Apparently, it is possible to create classes within a module, but I simply wasnā€™t able to implement any module at all. Also, sorry for one the strings; I just couldnā€™t find anything original. I was desperately trying to create classes as separate files if youā€™re wondering.

I recently saw some experienced game programmers recommend to beginners to learn to program first, and only then work on game programming. Iā€™ve seen you post quite a few times these, to me (Iā€™ve never made a gmod, mod), pretty simple examples of code that donā€™t seem to work in it, Iā€™m kind of also thinking that maybe you could just start simpler. Perhaps install and fire up a new C# console project in visual studio and get some programming experience that way first.

1 Like

It almost makes me want to put on hold (abandon) my project. Almost.

:fearful:

But I guess it would be very understandable and wise. Iā€™ll think about it.

Anyway, itā€™s not like I was ever going to finish it.

I guess I could continue my work on the text editor and the calculator or I could still try to make a physics & math engine since Iā€™ve been learning classical mechanics these days.