THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 2)

Strange, for me it looks like this:

System also is shown to have joined on dec 18!

We can try to find out when did hh create the website. Everybody write their latitudes longitudes and whether they see hh’s day as 18 or 19.

Maybe let’s write just our timezones

Anyways I’m in CET, a.k.a. UTC+1
Edit: given it’s Summer, It’s CEST or UTC+2

I’m UTC+03:00[1], hh is right in between us.

1. yes, I am awake at 3 am ↩︎

Hhrylainen and system both show up as 18th for me, at UTC-05:00

Well, the sun goes from east to west, so the line of day switch would also go from east to west. Some time ago, hh opened his account, and that time was Dec 18th for some of us and 19th for others. It was close to 12 pm for hh, his timezone is UTC+2. We need someone close to that time to find out the details of when the site was created, assuming hh is the first account. This may not have resolution of more than an hour. Or we can wait for hh to wake up.

edit: Timezones change, Poland is UTC:+2 right now, Turkey and Finland are UTC:+3. I had a 1 hour difference with Nie. Hhyyrylainen opened his account in December 19th, between 12 pm and 1 am. It was still December 18th for people living further to the west. 18 hours later(Dec 19, '17 5:47 PM, UTC:+3), he posted this:

From this, we can learn that Hhyyrylainen goes to sleep after midnight and wakes up before 5 pm.

I should find a better way to spend time.

Well. I guess now someone will want to find the first post on the outdated forums.

Also 2000th post

Sorry to disappoint everyone but the system account is older. It was created at Dec 18, 2017 11:27 pm and my account was created a few minutes later at Dec 18, 2017 11:35 pm. That’s presumably how long it took me to go through the initial Discourse setup process and create the initial admin account for myself after which the site starts functioning. The exact time is this unix timestamp 1513632909354 which in my timezone is just before midnight.

I can’t exactly remember but I suspect that on that fateful day in December 2017 I was chatting with other developers who had just about come online for that day due to timezones and the topic of moving the community forums somewhere else came up, and I probably spontaneously went and installed a second discourse forum to test it out and see if people liked it. If I also remember right this was a bit after I had moved the development forums to run on a server I controlled and maintained instead of a disappeared team member only having access to the server hosting the forums. All this was quite a few months before we eventually did the forums move as the spam bots and other management problems hit again on the older forums. I think now these forums have been the ones to be longest in use for Thrive and as these are hosted by us we own / have rights to all the data so even if we moved to something else we wouldn’t need to lose any accounts or historical posts.

7 Likes

So System is Hhyyrylainen’s older brother

The system is everyone’s older brother.
Big Brother is watching you.

That implies we all descend from a common parent, if that’s the case then why didn’t they show themselves? Are they still out to buy the milk?

Isnt it just discourse? Or the game itself that brought us all together? idk its 2:30 in the morning im tired but cant sleep.

Our father is Hyainlinan, he created us from ones and zeroes he bought from the dollar store.

And yes, The System is canonically both Hayinli’s big brother and son.

1 Like

It’s the LUCA of all online Thrive users.

primium thrivium

I was looking for aquatic stage mods for spore when I saw this:

History repeat itself, forever

2 Likes

And just as in thrive its problematic. Atleast they would allow you to somehow smeltl the meltl in spore.

It shows 18 for me.

@hhyyrylainen, what do you think about Rhino (rolling release distro based on Ubuntu)?

This is the first time I’ve heard of that, and the popularity metric on DistroWatch quite clearly indicates it is not one of the popular distros. I basically wouldn’t use any distro not in the top 20 most popular once due to the threat of the distro just stopping and requiring me to take time to reinstall to keep getting updates. So I wouldn’t really recommend that. There’s various more stable rolling distros built on top of Arch, which kind of seem like the most sensible picks if you absolutely want a rolling distro but don’t just want to go with Arch (or Arch with a fancy installer). Though even those aren’t safe as I remember one of the two big distros built on Arch getting shut down in the past few years.
I’d personally only really pick from Fedora, Mint, some of the Arch derivatives, some Debian derivative, Ubuntu (preferrably derivatives like Pop OS) and open suse. Anything else is asking for a lot of trouble and I’d really hate to see someone be put off by Linux because they picked a random unpopular distro where they can’t get support and the most popular guides online might not apply to fix their problems.

2 Likes