THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 1)

do you mean planets that dont have a star?

What do you think, @OoferDoofer?

I was just making sure.

And I don’t see why it wouldn’t be allowed, but I doubt life could actually thrive on such a planet.

2 Likes

Underwater civilization vibes

1 Like

I actually believe life could thrive quite well. I imagine a world with large deposits of radio isotopes and a huge moon. They combined energy would mean that any oceans would only have the top freeze over. I’m the sea life would start just as it did in earth, and would soon grow to multi cellular status. The lack of sunlight would be counteracted by the temperate difference and radio isotopes. Radiotrophs would litter the sea floor while huge towering ‘plants’ would extend from warm spots on the sea floor to the ice sheets and use the temperature range to rearrange base chemicals to useful ones. The lack of light would lower the chances of intelligent life, as well as the possibility that the autotrophs wouldn’t make oxygen, but I trust the players to find a way. Think radioreceptiveness. Other possibility include replacing the radio isotopes with overwhelming levels of chemicals. I simply see it as replacing the requirement of being in the goldilocks zone with having an alternate energy source.

2 Likes

With that mindset, why discuss any features at all? We don’t have to wait a fixed amount of time to start discussing and hypothesising different things.

1 Like

I’d agree with you but if i remember correctly hhyyrylainen said himself this forum is to keep the community intact and most of the features here aren’t getting into the game. I could have misinterpreted it but not many of the things here have been discussed by the dev team at all, mainly from the small amount of devs focusing one thing at a time, and from how little ideas are actually sensible enough. It is a little bit depressing to be honest, but I think it makes sense.

Just because what we’re talking about won’t get into the game, it doesn’t mean we can’t discuss anything that’s not on the dev forum. Look at the achievement thread for example. A vast, vast majority of the posts are not very well thought out and it’s explicitly stated these achievements will most likely not be used, but people still chat away and offer their own thoughts, just for the fun of it.

Oh, and what you’re referring to with Hhyyrylainen was with the creation of the dev forum for serious discussions about the game’s features, to separate idle chat and idea throwing with more fleshed out gameplay ideas between devs. At that point, you seem to suggest that this community forum doesn’t serve much of a purpose since all that chatting will lead to nothing.

I disagree. I think the community forums helped created a thriving community for this game, which, let’s be honest, wouldn’t have happened with just a dev forum. Sure we have the discord, but trying to make any sensible discussion there is pretty much pointless since it gets buried under new messages the next day, never to be consulted again. Rather, by having people discuss the game, it gives them a reason to stay invested in the development instead of lose interest and leave once their initial curiosity was satisfied.

6 Likes

I agree with OmnipotentFNarr, the forum s are a great asset. If not for them I wouldn’t have had much interest in the project in the last few years or have a way to contact nearly as many smart and like-minded indeviduals. I also have a bit of a lecture about how galaxys might be colonized that I’d like to start off by saying “look up SFIA. Isaac is my nerd. You need him.” . How I envision the space stage is a world of light speed comunications. You okay it like a real time stratagy, but once you get to the point that you are spread across planets and your home planet has become boring, you can no longer directly control anyone. Your base of operations and everywhere within a lightsecond is directly controlible, with the next few lightminutes being controllable through normal RTS gameplay: attack that, harvest this, scan the UFO. The next few lighthours can also be ordered aroud, but only much more vaugly: investigate that comet, build a space station, be nice to that ship, kill it if it attacks. Everywhere beyond is odd. You can order them around, and talk to them, but you can’t really control individual units: harvest the wildlife of planet a and set up greenhouses, guard the loyalists and kill anyone found to be a cultist, investigate that moon and set up a base of operations unless dangerous. The farther you are the more vague your orders. At the lightyear scale all you can give is a mission plan. Some my find this ristricting, but I find it freeing. I am a Dyson swarm person. I want to oversee a swarm and my ecemonopolis that I have on all my planets. Designing missions in the early year sounds fun. Once any new colonies of mine will be too far away to easily control, my old ones are sending off ships of their own, and the stars neighbouring my empire are many, I’ll send it a few fractal colonies (colonies whose mission plans include lines like “when you are self sustaining send off a few ships with mission statements that are duplicates of this one except for their target star.”) and begin settling in for the long haul. This would include amassing resourses, Amandas and beginning tarraforming (yes, that is when I’d start tarraforming in earnest). You would hear plenty of pores asking for help, or messages discovering aliens or tech. A big part of the space stage will be dealing with these. Thanks for hearing my vision. I’ll close off by telling you to watch SFIA.

2 Likes

You see, the thing is that is what I said. The forum is to keep the community together which is essential to keeping this alive. Anything we talk about here won’t really matter too much and getting too ahead of ourselves is mainly speculation. I’m not saying this is bad at all, this is exactly how early stage games prosper. They build a community and keep it interested until bigger updates come out, making them more interested. I don’t have a problem with this thread at all, I was just leaving my two cents of how the progression of such a game in an early stage is somewhat like evolution and how we the community do not have much control over it. At this point I think I’m suggesting now is the best time to become a dev if you want any control of it and you shouldn’t be afraid to try learning something for the team. The community has it’s control, but it all comes down to the developers which is why I think a lot of us with ideas should strive to become one. (I also thought it was kind of funny how thrive kind of evolves when it’s a game about evolution, and this game can’t be too big anyways or less people would play and more optimized methods will live on)

2 Likes
Time to revive this thread… again.
As a sidenote, I’ll be able to donate very soon.

I’ve donated 15$. I’m now a VIP Supporter!

I wish I could show it in my title.

9 Likes

Maybe you could change your vanity name to something like “A VIP supporter”, not sure if one is actually meant to be using it that way, though.
Edit: Or “Weird and VIP Supporter FNAF cat”

You can actually. It should be an option for a title in your profile.

1 Like

I wish I had money. I’d put a lot of it into thrive. Or programming and 3d modeling courses. Either one.

That’s weird; it doesn’t show me the option to do so. It only shows “Member” and “Regular”.

Okay, so I read up on how discourse handles group titles, and it seems that if user has a title, gaining a group with a title doesn’t set you the title.
Users can only select titles from among their badges. So it seems that if someone had set a title beforehand, they need to ask a staff member to change their title to be the group title.
I’ve set your title now properly.

1 Like

I need some help programming (with unity, the superior engine to all mediocre games). I’m working on trying to set up a build system first of all, but am confused on how most games go about this? Should I use a snap point system? What if after snapping the objects together I want to add a hinge joint or something? Could I instead of using snapping points use raycasts to align the component based off of distance?

As far as I know ray casts are unnecessarily expensive in that use case, that’s probably one of the main reasons that “snap point system” exists in the first place.

Also using unity instead of Godot: :angry:

2 Likes

Yeah, I heard most methods of raycasting is intensive as well, but I wanted to make sure. Perhaps even a simple distance tracker will do but only if these things are simple shapes. I think snapping points are a better option. Also, Never! I’m probably going to make this a stress test for somethings I heard were intensive since this is merely a prototype. I also came upon a paper of adaptive fluid particle simulation that is really good for real time fluids, maybe even faster if that data is sent to a GPU. Might do something with that with the little bit of programming knowledge I have.

Just noticed it’s already December, and I had forgotten to turn on the Christmas hats on the forums, but fear not they are on now. Also you might notice that the first post in a topic doesn’t get a hat, just because that interfered with the topic editing control buttons, so unfortunately no hats for OPs.

4 Likes