THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 1)

A sudden explosion on the forum activity!

I’ve been playing HL: Alyx for quite a while now. I’m way slower than most players because I’m being overcareful and easily scared. I take only little damage and I reload my save because I get spooked at any little thing.

I just finished Chapter 5: Northern Star and I also spoiled myself at the ending but I guess I won’t fully understand the process going to that ending if I don’t play the game.

I also wish VR Headsets were only a pair of goggles with a haptic morphsuit. It’d be way more comfortable.

How do you always find something to post?

I don’t understand…

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: PC Setups

I found something else to post. Whenever people are talking about physics in this forum, I always feel like physics sounds as a huge clusterfuck science.

S&Box (Garry’s Mod 2) might come out in 2021! However, I have bad news for hhyyrylainen and QuantumCrab.

Source: S&Box FAQ - s&box - Facepunch Forum

Hmmm I don’t know why you would think that about physics in particular. From my experience, pretty much every field in science turns out to be as deep and wide as an ocean.

Though now that I think about it, I suppose it may be because most of the applied sciences start to become physics once you get deep enough.
Chemistry has physics in it, hydro, aero, thermo, etc, dynamics of any kind have physics in them, computational technology even has physics in it, the list goes on. So yeah, maybe it could be seen as convoluted if you end up in entirely different fields all the time.

2 Likes

Rip linux and mac users

2 Likes

It’s just that whenever people are talking about astrophysics or theoretical physics stuff, it always sounds so complicated. But again, some people like journalists and others talk about those subjects like it was simple, yet my physics teachers have always said that those people never know what they are talking about. :thinking:

That’s not an applied science, that’s a pure science. But yeah, chemistry has a lot of physics on the quantum level and it might be difficult to teach if students have never learned a bit of quantum physics. I always imagined that physicists would be better at explaining some specific parts of general chemistry than most chemists.

Now that’s an applied science. But I guess that it is the case since most complex programs such as game engines have physics involved.

The only pure science I know that doesn’t really require advanced knowledge in physics is biology. It always seemed to me like biology is very simple to learn when compared to other sciences. All you have to do is review the same notions a couple of times and you’re good to go for the exam. Sure there are some physical concepts, but they are easy to understand in general.

I don’t know if Garry really means it, though. Maybe he’ll change his mind in a year or two. Who knows? What I hope is to play S&Box with my Valve Index and try to troll some other players. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Well actually, biology starts getting into physics as well when you get deep enough. Square cube law, flight, swimming, etc. I suppose you could count the senses too since photoreception and hearing are associated with physics as well.

And yeah, I suppose I kind of lumped everything into applied sciences without really thinking, my apologies.

1 Like

… Trying to discus any science in detail without going into physics is more or less a moot point, because the discipline in and of itself is about how the physical systems of the universe work, and at the end of the day, you need to understand those building blocks to have a good guess at why x thing happens.

It’s part of the reason I had as much of an issue in general chemistry until I learned quantum chemistry, a lot of the class was, to my poor confused brain, this is x because we see it as x, so just memorize that x + y → z + w.

(Granted, I’m not actually great at chemistry at all, so take that with a grain of salt.)

Or, you know, my slightly miswired brain could be at fault. Who knows. :woman_shrugging:

But… ja. For the layman, just knowing that the rule is there is… allowable. When you start getting into the interesting bits, however, you need to understand the basics. Which is either physics, or math.

2 Likes

Any news on the Shoutbox addon?

One of the two issues was fixed. Babble - A Chat Plugin - #400 by angus - plugin - Discourse Meta so now if it was reinstalled messages should get sent properly always. However the notifications not going away bug is still there. On top of that I want to see that it continues to be updated, and doesn’t break all the time for a long time when new discourse updates come out.

3 Likes

Who plays Terraria here?

1 Like

The conversation reminds me of this:

I did.

5 Likes

I play a little. It was fun. I haven’t played in a while.

I use to play on an old first gen iPad Mini, its so old its stuck on IOS 9 or 8.

Games are updated!

And since I’ve had nothing to do, I just watched someone lose a game of chess in two turns.

:f:

Not only did I have nothing to do, I started playing Ancestors again only to fail recruiting an ape. I went on an expedition in the African Jungle. My original team:

• 4 Elders (no pun intended, they really were retarded)
  • 1 young adult

My final team:

• 1 Elder
  • 2 Young Adults
  • 1 “potential” ape who doesn’t know what it wants

As the Elder, I saw the young one getting attacked by a tiger. I didn’t have my sharp stick so I said “Eh fuck it, I’ll sacrifice myself for the young one.” Success. Sacrifice done, I play as the young one, and tried to get everyone out by retreating but every elder was too retarded to follow me into the trees. The tiger got distracted by a snake. Good. I can get out. Two other elders died and one of them followed me successfully. I went on the “Recruit an Outsider” mission and recruited one ape to make up for the loss. There was another ape I was trying to recruit. It was holding its gut and seemed like it was coughing or about to puke. I tried to give them:

• Cracked coconut
  • Opened coconut
  • Fruits
  • Horsetail

The only option I see left is scooping water and give it to 'em but they’re on top of a tree. How can I climb with water without dropping it? Then, a fucking tiger jumped out of nowhere, so I climbed the tree and rage quitted.

The End

3 Likes