The Public Thrive Odyssey Council

Why do I have a city in Africa?

1 Like

didnt you inherit a city from bananarama collapsing?

We have almost half of the amount of post as the Misc Thread with only 2 months of time lol

1 Like

Yeah, but it was in Spain (I have a map with that city included somewhere)

1 Like

yo
i own carthage
carthage isnt in the middle east

1 Like

You literallly said you were in lebanon/the middle east.

1 Like

Yeah, I think we all need to take a break. School is about to start for some and it has already started for me (online).

3 Likes

If people are tired from the game then i guess we should have a break

it also be a good time to review how the game is doing and maybe change some of the mechanics

1 Like

I think one of the main problem with the game is the lack of resources as resources are basically infinite , there are no incentives for some trading or technology, this also apply to the speed of the game as resources are infinite we don’t really have to worry about food or early societal problems regarding resources

i don’t really have a solution but i think in the next iteration (if that ever happens) that problem will need to be address

7 Likes

so my idea to solve this is resource levels which i imagine can be implemented in 3 ways:

Resource Levels:

Represents resources in discrete abstract levels

Before i explain the 2 variants of this i think i should explain the basic idea of resource levels.

Resource levels are a way to represent resources in a abstract way instead of a more realistic metric like kg as that would be too tedious to manage for both the player and the DM. These resources levels really represents your production capacity for that resource and not the amount you have.

So in this system each resource can have a level like for instance a resource called Iron can be level 5. The way these level can be used depends on what variant we use below:

• Storage:

These resource levels are used and stored when needed

In this variant these resources are stored and ideally should have infinite storage but we can limit it if that too much. Here resources are still infinite but you are more limited with your production, every time you do a action to raise your production of a resource (Create new mines, Research better gathering methods, etc…) you gain a production level.

You can spends these levels to research or do some action (Research Iron Tools, Build A Statue). If you want to regain those levels you have to undo those action. There should not really be any continuous upkeep as that would be annoying and not make senses as that would mean the upkeep is going up and not constant.

• Incremental:

Resources are only used to unlock things and improve efficiencies

Here the amount of resources you can have is limited (let say for this section,you can only have 10 levels), this amount could change with technology or actions but the main point is that it’s limited. This system is the closest to our current one.

When you use the resource it does not go away, the levels are only for unlocking things. So for example to create iron tools you need only one level to do it or if you want to create a space ship you might need all 10 levels to do it.

The main gimmick of this system is that the more levels you have the more efficient the processes that uses it are. So if you have iron tools, they might only require 1 level to get but the more level of iron you get the more population you get from it. The lore/in-game reason why for this is that the higher your iron production, the more people that can use that tool.

• Hybrid

Resources can be used but also can help improve the efficiencies

Now this is a fusion of the previous systems, so you have to spend resources to get technology or do actions but now the more resources you have the higher the efficiencies of the tools you make like in the Incremental system.

Here the resources should be limited too but overfill can happen but it should only just stop giving an increase in efficiencies and not make you lose out on anything.

Footnotes:

• I think whatever system we choose, if we are going to retrofit it to this current iteration of this game, it should only apply to any new resource we discover

• That should help smooth over the transition process
    • Also by new resources, i mean new for everyone and not just for that player
  • Obsolete: a cool idea to have for the Storage and Hybrid system could be automation of resources. Once you reach a high enough amount of production you might not need to worry about it’s production so it can be Obsolete. It will behave just like how resources are now, infinite. This can help to reduce the amount of resources you need to worry about and reduce micromanagement of older resources.

• Too Much Demand: So something that’s probably going to happen is what if something happens that reduce your production capacity (like if a disaster happens or a trade route get closed). Well this probably is something we should solve once we get there but i think the player should get a choice on what to close/stop allocating resources to, this choice should be free and should not require any action.

if anyone have any feedback or ideas, i would love to know

5 Likes

I personally would prefer the hybrid version, but all of your ideas are solid. i also very much approve of your ‘Obsolete’ idea. we could implement that immediately for stuff like stone, wood, etc., and when we become more advanced, things like iron, and glass would also be affected.

Here are some mini ideas that don’t really deserve there own post:

:control_knobs: Hinting :control_knobs:

Fudge the numbers a bit if the player keep getting low rolls on the same actions

This is just a bit of controversial one but i think if the player get a low roll after 2 times then a modifier should be added like a +1 at the 3rd time and increasing every subsequent attempt. I think this is a good way to keep constant failure of certain actions even though it is a bit funny.

This can be interpreted lore-wise as trial and error and learning from previous mistakes if you need a in game reason for this but this mechanic is mainly game play only and to prevent player frustrations.

:speaking_head: Demands :speaking_head:

An evolution of the current quest system, complete demands from your people for a reward

This is as the blurb say a evolution of the current quest system. So while the quest system is really based on a event or other NPC country, the demands are random quest from your people based on your nation.

These quest should be based on things related to your archetype or your actions . So if you are a peaceful farming nation then you get demands that you upgrade your tools or get better crops. Or if you have bad relation with another nation you might get demands that you declare war on them.

If you complete these demands you should get a reward like maybe a temporally stat boost (like safety or happiness) or even increase in population or other rewards. The reward could even be to prevent something bad happening to you, like a riot or a disaster.

:books: Milestones :books:

Achieve Big Long Term Goals For A Reward Either In A Shop Or A Extra Action

This is actually based on another forum game system which i can’t remember which one but it is not a fully original idea. So what is a milestone well it is large task that represent a huge step forward for your nation or humanity.

Completing a Milestone should be hard and take alot of planning. Anyone should be able to do any milestone and the current list of milestones should be visible to all. If you complete a milestone you should gain some sort of reward like a boost or stat increase or a extra action or maybe even a token that you can redeem in a shop.

I am unsure if you should be able to complete a milestone after someone has done it but i think you should not as that would give them a sense of urgency like wonders in civ 5. This can also be a great way to guide the player to the next set of progression as the next step can be a bit confusing at some points.

If the reward was a token then that would be redeem in a shop. The shop should allow you to buy bonuses like an extra action or a population boost or even a dice roll boost. These token can may even be used to be traded and as part of a negotiation.

:scroll: Organizations Effect :scroll:

Allow for creation of Organizations that can have effect for the members that join

I think that Organization should be able to be created that have effects for the members that join. We can still have RP organizations but i think if you use an action to create a organization it should provide a effect for the members. I think joining these organization should cost a action along with the creation of one of course.

Footnote:

• Demands can be furthered evolve into a faction system which i described in a earlier post (here) but i probably make a separate post for it
6 Likes

if your ideas are implemented imma join back
no joke

1 Like

So I’m going to rejoin the game now, but my actions per round will be lessened due to time (like 3-4 actions)

Also great ideas as always Evo!

I still feel like waiting somehow.

I feel a vote is in order:

• Resume Game
  • Keep Waiting

0 voters

And New Mechanics:

• Resource Levels
  • Obsolete
  • Too much Demand
  • Hinting
  • Demands
  • Milestones
  • Organizations Effect

0 voters

@blackjacksike @Mr.Pigeon @Evolution4Weak @zenzonegaming @OoferDoofer @MechanicalPumpkin @Nover452 @PositiveTower @Gotor

1 Like

Anyway, the GM will decide.

Too much demand is not really a feature but what happens if there is too much demand and i did not really know where to put it so i just place it in the footnotes

while it is the GM decision i do think it is a good idea to see what other players think right now

i also working on a new feature post for my faction idea

2 Likes

Wait, let’s go back to the Research thread.

1 Like