Underwater Civilizations Take 3

But then the oceans would literally burn, killing all life on the planet! (maybe, definitely all aquatic life, but not so sure about terrestrial life, but still, that’s going to cause a mass extinction!)
Edit: please, this isn’t funny, @50gens. Mass extinctions are no laughing matter. You want to preserve biodiversity, right?

no, there would be oxygen free areas of the oceans(like on earth) and the hydrocarbons would likely be replenished by a biological or geological process so the oceans would survive and so would any marine life that could move and store large amounts of oxygen or just live without oxygen

I have no idea how fast hydrocarbons regenerate on Titan-class planets, and as such, i cannot give a valid counterargument.

as i said: biological or geographical processes

Oops. I didn’t read THAT part. :frowning:

it is reasonable if you know what is mudskippers (Mudskipper - Wikipedia) mudskippers is fishes with limited [terrestrial locomotion (Terrestrial locomotion - Wikipedia) and jumping so if underwater civs want to go to stone age to iron age then they can just skip to land and start a fire and start to heat iron

1 Like

I’m assuming you’re rather new, so welcome! Underwater civs have been a long and intense topic. The current policy is that all proposals must have a thesis, a clear outline of points, argumentative paragraphs in the format of a research paper, and references to substantiated sources. Trust me, it’s necessary; we’ve heard your suggestion, for example, atleast 50 times the past 3 years.

The thread I linked above is the most recent thread about the topic here. Dive into the topic and see what you think. Expect this thread to be merged soon; many threads with the same topic pop up.

Welcome again!

3 Likes

Hasn’t this point been made before that amphibious creatures can create civ on land and then transition to water. But then at that point that’s not a Underwater Civ that’s just a Land Civ with a long commute.

hh when someone says “underwater civs”

3 Likes

It’s largely people trying to prove that such things are scientifically plausible, as they are cool and developing a way they can plausibly be done would allow there to be potential for their implementation in the game under non-LAWK settings

Edit:

Someone has actually ‘proved’ that it is possible to smelt metal underwater (The Holy Grail: Hhyyrylainen’s Challenge of UC Metalworking Completed and Formalized with 47 Citations! ) but shaping said metal has yet to be proved (as water would enter the molten metal, and it would be generally difficult to shape underwater)

2 Likes

You’ll see soon enough the craziness of the topic once I merge this topic into where this was previously.

3 Likes

i have an actually viable way to smeltal the meltal as an underwater civ that does not require exiting the water or relying on other species. all you need first is glassware which means you need to make your creature produce SiO2 and put it in a fluid that hardens without needing to dry out and is in a mucous so it doesn’t get washed away by the waves and stone tools

Please follow the rules regarding this subject. It’s not worth starting a conversation about such a controversial topic unless you fulfill the full, college-paper requirement imposed by hhyyrylainen, as it will just cause arguments

Also, melting metal was solved here: The Holy Grail: Hhyyrylainen’s Challenge of UC Metalworking Completed and Formalized with 47 Citations! . The current issue is shaping said metals and onward

STEP 0-1: evolve an organism that uses SI to make SIO2 instead of CO2 in some of its cells(this will be both immediately useful and useful in the long term) and make it have mucilage and put all the SiO2 in the mucilage to get rid of it so as to not turn into a glass bead(there are other ways to deal with the SiO2 but for this method you need this specific one). source

STEP 0-2: have stomach acid that uses hydrochloric acid

STEP 0-3: evolve to be able to manipulate and move objects and put the glass mucous producing cells in your manipulators in a convenient spot so you can make glassware, and then become sapient.

STEP 1: make stone tools

STEP 2: use your glass mucous glands to make a big glass tank with 2 inputs, one for dolomite, and one for stomach acid(see step 0)

STEP 3: make a second glass tank to remove the hydrochloric acid and other minerals from the newly discovered magnesium oxide and solidify it into bricks(sauce)

STEP 4: mine for dolomite with your stone tools(see step 1)

STEP 5: put the dolomite in the tank made in step 2 and have your entire tribe puke into the tank

STEP 6: find a way to get clay

STEP 7: put all the materials you need for a belgiumton of clay in storage

STEP 8: make a hydrothermal vent become a regular thermal vent by making it able to release gas and heat but not take in water so you can get it to release enough heat to smeltal the meltal but you still need more things (one way valve, earlier game one way valve, lava wikepedia)

STEP 9: mine for metals other than the dolomite(but you will still need the dolomite to get magnesium oxide

STEP 10: make clayware with magnesium oxide powder mixed into it to increase its maximum temperature so you don’t have to worry about your kiln breaking

STEP 11: make a kiln that sits right on top of your newly converted thermal vent and doesn’t require water to transfer the heat because water can’t get hot enough to smeltal the meltal(see step 8 and the boiling point of water)

step 12: fire the kiln by leaving it in a room you built around the thermal vent to be half full of water so you can still live in it but also have the top full of gas so you can properly smeltal and shape the meltal but drain it of water first and let it back in slowly once the kiln is done firing so you can exist in the same room as the kiln and both survive(source)

step 13: use the heat of the mantle to smeltal your meltal in a(most likely glass) room that allows gas to escape if it gets to a higher pressure than the surrounding water but doesn’t let water in without you going in and have a rock hammer so you can properly shape the meltal(iron melt point, lava temperature)

step 14: PROFIT

Did you just…not read what I said directly above this post?

If this is your attempt to fill hhyyrylainens requirements, then I am afraid it is not adequate. A college level paper, with sources, is required for this topic of discussion to be available again. Please stop posting about that until then, and when/if you make such a paper preferably post it in its own thread.

2 Likes

it is still useful for the shaping part if you delete most of the steps and just keep steps 0-1,0-2, 0-3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13.

The problem wasn’t your idea - the problem is the fact that this discussion is occurring at all without sources and without properly fulfilling the requirements of this subject as presented by hhyyrylainen.

I was attempting to halt further discussion, but it seems I have failed. Looks like this’ll have to be moved to the locked thread ig

Edit: flagged post (though I prolly used the wrong type of flag mb) because it’s UC discussion that is t in proper format, up to the mods to deal with now

The UC fans should really save up for a diving suit so we can toss them in the ocean to actually try their ideas

3 Likes

i would use it if thrive was fully out yet so i can use it in maybe my 30s assuming everything goes how it’s going

i forgot to hit ctrl+v before closing the tabs and didn’t notice
i’ll fix that issue once i can edit it again

1 Like

Hold the phone
No more discussions about underwater civs
End of discussion

7 Likes