Underwater Civilizations Take 3

I’ve been reading up a little and found that there is copper naturally occuring on the sea floor, but it exists in little nodules about 1-4 inches wide from what I’ve read.

So enough for a small Civ if we did it my way, which could make sense with the mantis-shrimp like appendages (and I’m sure there’s some scientific principle that wouldn’t let a much larger organism punch so hard and precisely without a bunch more muscle), however that would make supply chains much more difficult, as smaller organisms often have a much harder time traversing the same area as larger animals (because…they’re smaller), and with this idea some kind of tolerance for pressure change would have to be accounted for (as the nodules I read about are about 1000 meters below sea level on earth)

1 Like

with the power of hhyyrylainen , anything is possible.

I think a few major points have been forgotten about over the course of this thread

Specifically, it seems like fire and the usage thereof is less of a basic fact of intelligence and more of a mere adaptation found in some animals. Considering this, it’s reasonable to say that, realistically, the discovery of metallurgy should be an issue for all societies, not just those that dwell in the sea

While obviously metallurgy will happen sooner in terrestrial animals, it still won’t be some foundation even there. There are also subsets of terrestriality that would suffer in this respect as much or even more than aquatics (take arboreal life, or life on certain floating features)

In conclusion, lack of metal is not an issue unique to underwater civilizations

1 Like

While I would agree… this doesn’t seem to be a problem specifically with this discussion, considering that this is just discussing how to make it possible for underwater Civs. It isn’t about why all other civs can smelt and underwater ones haven’t been shown to be able to, just that it is known that this would definitely be a problem for underwater civs without a doubt and this is towards finding a solution for that

So yes, you may be right, but that isn’t a problem with this thread per se nor does it get us closer to solving the issue of smelting for underwater civs

1 Like

But there is no independant issue of smelting for underwater civs, in the same sense that there is no independant issue of space travel for creatures with spleens. It’s a generic problem, with a generic solution. And I see no reason why such a generic solution would have to be exclusive to land

Read that again, but slowly.

1 Like

Why? What is the problem? If anything, aquatic civilizations have fewer issues, as they would likely have no emotional issues regarding metallurgy, unlike terrestrial animals that will naturally fear flames

you know what im going to stop trying to respond to you. as such i have nothing to say.

I think we fear fire because the overwhelming heat damages our cells.being underwater doesn’t change how pain receptors work.

1 Like

If it’s just about pain, why would animals run from smoke and the sight of fire? Clearly there’s more to it

it’s not like animals can learn from experiences

So if it is learned, then it can also not yet be known, and there’s no reason why aquatic individuals would learn that fire is bad. But there is a very big reason why terrestrials would learn such a thing

1 Like

I mean what if the land creature never managed to see fire before? Also underwater vents and volcano exists, those are hot and make smoke too

And yet none of this is relevant to smelting or shaping metal in underwater civilizations.

Dude, I get your points, but that’s not the point of this thread. If you want to discuss this, make a new thread and stop clogging up this one with irrelevant posts

There is also a very big reason a terrestrial species would evolve to use fire, to scare away predators.

It is because he thinks being less afraid of fire means you are better at doing stuff with fire

If anything wouldn’t they be worse? They wouldn’t know the dangers of playing with fire, and so would be less cautious, much more likely to damage themselves or whatever apparatus they use to smelt

They’d probably have to be living in an environment where making fire is impossible, or at least very hard

The individual existence of a topic is extremely relevant to said topic

Then where are these numerous fire-users on Earth?

Humans didn’t know the dangers of radiation, yet look at the modern nuclear reactor

I think humans are very afraid of nuclear reactors today if you can’t tell
Just look at how many protests there are and complete ignorance on how safe it is. There is not enough research into nuclear energy

They’re still pretty safe, aren’t they? What the layman thinks isn’t that relevant to technological advances