Using Thrive for educational purposes?

Along with normal people—

You should really consider editing your posts, to not double post all the time…

I double post all the time?..Sorry if I do!

I doubt we would ever implement any semblance of an educational mode, but I’ll go ahead and entertain the thought for fun. I would have all the organelles be locked behind a short quiz. so you can only unlock the parts if you know how they work. That way they wouldn’t be quite as invasive as popping up after every generation or etc.

Or maybe that could be a base game feature to ensure people know not to slap on thylakoids in the abyssopelagic >:)

3 Likes

I believe this section implies whether or not thrive should focus on teaching the player, or keeping things simple enough for anyone to understand. These are two valid directions, but one is more intensive.

Nooot exactly. At least that wasn’t my idea. I think the realism in the game kindAaa teaches itself a bit. I was just thinking of an educational version. Looking further into it though, Idk man lol.

I would consider that thrive is complete when the aware phase rolls out, and everything else is just DLC
so a good time to begin really doing stuff like this should be when the Aware phase rolls out instead of ahem…

1.0!

FYI, we use a version number scheme where the first number means the number of finished stages, so 1.0 is the microbe stage being finished and work shifting to multicellular. 7.0 will be finished space stage.

We should start this when the aware stage is complete, because then the all-evolution stages are complete, and learning biology is at max potential. when it’s fully completed, then we can fully implement everything even though i see the game only being used for biology classes

Wouldn’t the microbe stage be a good learning tool for learning about the various cell parts?

yes, it would be actually, but then the game will have a reputation of ONLY being good for that purpose. I’m not experienced in making educational games so forgive me if i make a dumb mistake.

I think Thrivepedia could be used in the future for educational purposes.

Instead of giving a quiz to the player, it would far better to inform the player about how life works in Thrive versus how it works in real life. For instance, when talking about aerobic respiration, the player should know from Thrivepedia on how the stoichiometry from the game differs from that of the real reaction. We should also inform them that it is a simplified reaction and that there are many steps to be taken through a metabolism.

2 Likes

That’s precisely what I had in mind as well. Infact I already have segments in the wiki describing how processes work in reality in preparation for implementation of the thrivepedia. This is information that will be found alongside gameplay strategy and tips regarding the process. (Most are still unwritten though…)

Example

Of course, I am no teacher or professor, and my summaries are probably a bit confusing without prior knowledge.

3 Likes

Would it require bibliography? And would Thrivepedia reference to the wiki site?