Viruses?

But those genes aren’t really used. Giruses are just as inert as other types of viruses.

but it does raise questions about whether or not viruses existed before giruses or the other way around and if giruses first then where did they come from as it would have to be a cell. maybe they have a common ancestor with mitochondria.

Where are you getting that from? Mitochondria were (probably) originally prokaryotes. Giruses are completely different, and they are not genetically related.

It may be possible that Giruses came about independently from other viruses, though. But they could also have come about from a virus incorrectly infecting something and then being reproduced with that organism’s genome.

giruses have evidence that points to them being prokaryotic endoparasites that simplified so much that they could only do 1 thing: pass on their genes. and they simplified themselves so much that they only required an amount of genes in the order of 10s

What evidence? Also, even if that is true, how does it matter?

just search giant viruses and you will find at least 20 websites saying that mitochondria and viruses have a common ancestor

it means that there will have to be a mechanism to evolve viruses in the game whether it is as a reproduction method for a cell or not

You need to be the one to provide the evidence, not the contrary.

That would be like me saying “You are wrong” “why?” “Search it yourself why you are wrong” oh wait, you qctually did something like this before.

1 Like

You need to actually provide sources, you can’t just say “look it up” when someone shows you are wrong because you didn’t source your claims in any way other than “trust me, bro”

according to pubmed.ncbi
Giant viruses, virophages, and mitochondria have homologous DNA and RNA polymerases and share RNA splicing punctuation by stem-loop hairpins . Giant virus factories and amoeban mitochondria colocate, with viral proteins homologous to mitochondrial proteins specifically targeting mitochondrial inner membranes. and the oldest known giant viruses are 48,500 years old
nevermind there most definitely are viruses that were intracellular parasites that just simplified themselves that much but viruses are much older than that as Nudiviruses, which primarily affect insects and marine arthropods, date back to about 310 million years ago , making them the oldest known viruses in the world. i just misinterpreted information but transitioning from cell to virus or even just using viral particles to reproduce would likely be necessary for max realism

You should give the direct link rather than a Google redirect.

Huh, that’s interesting. Maybe Giruses are reduced relatives of Mitochondria. That, or they originally infected mitochondria.

That doesn’t make Giruses bacteria, though.

i never said they counted as bacteria i just said that their existence means there should be a way to transition from prokaryote to virus or at least just use viral particles for reproduction

2 Likes

Maybe if you survive a virus infecting you, you get bonus mutation points from the extra RNA/DNA they inject into you. Otherwise, you just lose resources and explode after a certain amount of time. Maybe each virus has a certain chance to infect you and the more evolved you are the lower it is, it would help incentivize eukaryotic creatures in auto evo.

1 Like

Sounds good, but it should give a discount, not more mp.