What would happen when humans go extinct?

there are certain conditions however:
the plastic we have already put on the planet is still there. along with the green house gasses and anything else humans have contributed to.

Here’s a pretty good video:

Cool things I’ve read but can’t confirm if completely accurate:

• It would take around 10-50 years for carbon dioxide levels to return to pre-industrial levels.
  • Many endangered species would start recovering immediately.
  • It would take atleast 500 years for landfills to largely decompose.
  • The last remnants of humanity besides archaelogy, like nuclear waste and certain chemicals, would disappear by 200,000 years post-extinction.

Really makes you think about the negligence we show towards the Earth and how a just a few changes in our policy can go a really far way in helping with maintaining a proper climate.

2 Likes

When you think about it, humans have a pretty strange niche. I mean, really physically weak but intelligent creatures that can only largely succeed in numbers. It would be hard for other animals to pursue that lifestyle, as we mostly got there by chance and luck.

1 Like

Not really. After all, we can throw things.
We’re pretty average, strength-wise. Especially considering our anatomy.

3 Likes

We also have a absolutely MASSIVE endurance.
Seriously, in prehistoric times we would sometimes hunt by just tiring out prey by constantly chasing them until they dropped dead from exhaustion.
We’re also one of the only species that can survive something like a broken bone, even without medical help. Most creatures would just go into a shock and die, but a human would just go “stupid leg. Fine, I’ll move without you” and crawl on their hands and knee.

5 Likes

It’s just a flesh wound!

4 Likes

Not only that, but we can survive with several organs missing, e.g we can lose a lung or a kidney and our body will still be mostly fine.
And with recent developments in medical technology, we can survive without a stomach (your oesophagus is surgically connected to your intestines, and you get prescribed with digestive pills), part of our brain, and most of our liver (which will even regenerate over time).

tl;dr humans are juggernauts in fleshy suits.

1 Like

We can also survive being shot, burned, poisoned, and a variety of other things. Now, we don’t survive it all the time, but we’re very resilient nontheless.

1 Like

yeah… humans can live in every condition and place possible(even underwater)… we are awesome come to think of it

Lets not forget our intelligence is one of our most important features that has gotten us this far in the past 6,000 years. Sure, other animals can make things like simple doors (forgot what spider that was called that did this), create hives, make large networks of tunnels, but humans on the other hand have been able to create many complex mechanisms and tools to go even further beyond.

Like developing virtual reality, artifical intelligence, advanced communications, space exploration, and so much more.

Crows , and apes, will own the land. And dolphins will own the sea.

1 Like

Over time, they may evolve to use tools. I suggest giving The Future is Wild a watch.

I don’t think another animal would necessarily fill in our niche as a technologically-sentient species. Atleast not for a while.

Our intelligence wasn’t a result of just one random lucky mutation; every adaptation until that point - vertical back, shifted skull proportions, marathon pursuit - was necessary to become extremely intelligent as we had. Even with that intelligence, it would be almost meaningless without our thumbs in terms of technological advancement. Orcas are likely just as smart as we are if we consider raw intelligence (as in intelligence without our understanding of science or language), and yet they don’t have the same control we do over our environment.

So yes, intelligent species would do really well in a human-less world; however, they wouldn’t dominate. I would say that, should a species of cow manage to evolve back into a more feral nature, they would be just as successful if not more than an intelligent species.

3 Likes

it depends on the feral species and how intelligent the intelligent species were when humans extinct.

BREAKING NEWS: ORCAS NOW HAVE MUSCULAR DEXTROUS ARMS, HUMANITY DOOMED

4 Likes

BREAKING NEWS: RABBITS HAVE GROWN OUSTANDING SIZES AND INTELLIGENCE. THEY REFER TO THEMSELVES AS “BIG CHUNGUS”.

3 Likes

BREAKING N… THIS ALL READY HAPPENED!: A CERTAIN APE SPECIES RECENTLY ENTERED THE STONE AGE.

Only if we can have underwater civilizations

1 Like

Aha! Long drawn out arguments have saved humanity!

2 Likes