0.5.9 Feedback thread

then we could give keyboard bindings to rotation. and i meant you’d have to change the default toxin binding if you went with q/e for rotation.

Honestly, the energy requirement itself is pretty negligible. It helps shine light on the issue, but I doubt anyone is going to die to ATP loss because they turned accidentally. The bigger/general problem is that the game expects you to mouse over buttons and objects which aren’t always in the direction you want your nose to be pointing.

Maybe you’re running from something and you need to identify another microbe, or you’re chasing something and want to determine the density of a resource cloud, or you’ve been carefully picking at a herd of spiky sessiles and now you want to press the Evolve button on the other end of the screen without bumping into any of them.

More feedback would be good, though.

This is also an idea.

I hate to go the “Just like in X game!” route, but I’m imaging something like another indie early-access Steam game, Delta V: Rings of Saturn. WASD moves, QE rotates, but you can also move with LMB and turn with RMB.

As you said, toxy would have to be rebound, but are plenty of buttons free. R, F, Shift, Ctrl, Space, and MMB are all viable options.

Also important for iron eaters. Ever eaten one of the big rocks? They take up 100 space, and I have no idea how long they take to digest. I’d hate to be stuck with one of those inside me forever.

they can take an ungodly amount of time if you don’t have a ton of lysosomes.

actually, i take this back lysosome don’t seem to effect how fast you digest iron chunks. which means the large ones just straight up take forever to digest.

as to the organelle after killing something thing. it really does feel like the best bet is to let the organelles degrade into clouds instead of eating them. you’ll get about 80% of the resources from the cloud as opposed to what feel like 20% or less from eating the organelles and that’s if you eat the organelles immediately.

Hey everyone. I’m back after quite a long absence (a year and a half… two years? I forget). I played 0.5.9 and have feedback, but it’s nothing that hasn’t already been discussed. My primary point is that I am impressed with the progress that has been made. I lost interest in Thrive because I thought it wasn’t going anywhere and the speed of development was too slow. But here it is, still being developed after I thought it would not be. Glaciers aren’t fast, but they are inexorable.

I can’t remember what the last version I played was, but I think it was in 2020. In any case, the game seems much smoother now. The UI is better (hotkeys are shown in organelle descriptions, which is good) and the editor has more features and seems a bit easier to use (MP are automatically refunded if I change things back to how they were manually instead of using the undo button).

My criticism/suggestions for improvement are nothing new. I would like the patchmap to have filters for temperature, gases, compounds, etc. That way I can click a button to have the patches highlighted based on the intensity of whatever factor I’m looking for, e.g. light if I’m using photosynthesis.
The cellulose and chitin membrane descriptions are a bit confusing. They state that they are “invulnerable to engulfment”, but then it says they’re vulnerable due to cellulase/chitinase. Apropos, at first I thought there was a bug that made engulfment not work, but then I realized that the cells I was attempting to eat had membranes that prevented it. But I didn’t know which lysosome type to pick to consume them. I couldn’t tell at a glance what kind of membrane I was facing, and I didn’t see anywhere in the UI it was indicated.
I would like a nucleus version of rusticyanin. Just like how the mitochondrion is much better at turning glucose to ATP, I wish I could get an organelle which were much more efficient once I had a nuclues. You can make it some non-LAWK thing like a “siderondrion” or something like that.
I noticed that autoevo takes much longer once I had a nucleus. It went from being nearly instant to requiring maybe 10-15 seconds.

Anyway, great job guys. I’m very curious about what will become of that multicellular prototype, even if it won’t be developed significantly for another two years.

4 Likes

Hello! Welcome back!
Care to join a forum game?

Hello! Welcome to the forums! There was forum game renaissance fueled by doom the mesoamerican god, underwater civs were banned again cause of these people I kept arguing with, and a whole new thread was added to the lounge!

Here’s a tip: always bet against Thrive dying. No matter what people say about Thrive being very slow, at least it always progresses.

Opened an issue:

This is something I realized would be confusing to players. There’s almost nothing more frustrating that an action that seems to fail randomly without any feedback. I’ve now opened an issue about this as well:

I’m going to say I’m more than 90% sure that that is caused by you being farther along in the game when you got the nucleus and there being a bunch of species inhabiting your world. Auto-evo takes longer the more total species in various patches there are.

1 Like

In the early multicellular editor you can add a cell type, never add it to your creature, and spend multiple editor sessions editing it, and than once you add it your creature it looks like it suddenly mutated way more than a session should allow, just wanted to bring this up before I forget.

But it costs MP to edit the type, right? So even if you don’t add it immediately you end up spending a bunch of editor cycles changing it.

What I’m saying is even though you’re spending lots of editor sessions it makes it look like it came out of nowhere once you add it.

this is just counterproductive to how evolution should work.

Guys, please we have 480 open issues (bugs and and new features, which doesn’t yet even include open issues for everything needed to finish the microbe stage) someone needs to program:
Kuvakaappaus - 2022-08-08 09-18-25

Even if I opened an issue about this, the likely situation would be that no one would do anything about this for literal years.

I was just writing this down before I forgot, and it does seem like something worth fixing.

It’s just a piece of feedback I think. Not every one of those needs to be an urgent issue on github, and many of them do not have to be acted on at all. After all, players giving feedback here are (typically) not game developers themselves, so are not going to be able to make that judgement.

I do think it goes the other way around as well though: Even if it is something you do not believe needs to be changed, that does not mean it should not be posted here. Maybe one of the designers sees it and remembers it when they make a new design in the future. Who knows?

Not very many developers actively look at the feedback we get (though I’d love to be proven wrong), so unless I personally remember (which is not going to happen) or open an issue on Github, nothing will happen. Even then as I said there’s so much huge stuff to work on that small nitpicking (in my opinion) seems pretty pointless. Then again I’m probably just currently burned out on all the non-positive feedback after the latest release, and should just ignore feedback for now to mentally recharge…

2 Likes

Not all of those bugs need to be fixed until you get to the later stages of building the game, as long as their not bugs that make the game unplayable, it should be good.

Don’t worry this actually seems like something I could take on once I get some of the other features I want to work on out of the way first.

I had been also wondering myself that it doesn’t make sense that you can edit cell types that haven’t been placed, AKA, that don’t exist. However, an organism that has once had a certain cell type in the past, could potentially evolve to lose that cell type, but still have the “latent genes” for it present in its DNA, such that one day it could easily evolve it back. So I’m going to think about what could be the most realistic restriction on cell type editing.

Perhaps one way to solve the problem is to make it so that to edit a cell type, you need to have existing copies of it in your colony. You can remove all copies of that type and your organism still “remembers” that type, such that you can place it in future generations, but you cannot edit these old cell types until you’ve placed some again. This represents the phenomenon of “latent genes”, but also solves the problem of being able to create a new cell type and edit it several times before ever placing it.

4 Likes

This seems like the best way to do it, but maybe with a time limit to how long you could keep a cell type that isn’t placed.

I would be adverse to adding any arbitrary timers that can make you lose access to the unplaced cell types (just cause I prefer to avoid arbitrary mechanics where possible), but perhaps it would be good to playtest and see if the lack of a timer is subject to exploits.