About the ideas for random game ending events

Or maby there is a difrent game mode with a timer and u have to colonize a new planet by the end or you will die

speed mode

That probably depends.

If you’re the sort of species that mass extinctions tend to wipe out, survival’s a bit of a tall order. Hate to put it this way, but if a player chooses to go down the path of specialized megafauna (as much as I like them, sauropods are probably the most iconic offender) it’s hard to say they’re entitled to make it out of the event.

If you chose to play it safe and abide by principles of adaptability, then you’ve pretty much “earned” your survival. Plenty of exemplar survivors here.

Besides, from what I know, extinction isn’t inherently game-ending, much like dying. If you die, and your species is extinct, you respawn as a member of your closest relative within your clade (if you were playing as a dinosaur in the Cretaceous when the asteroid struck, you’d respawn as a bird).

1 Like

Yeah one of the games goals is to be acurate so mega extictions are in.

if so the mega extintions chance of happening should be connected to the difficulty setting

It should depend more on the stars location cuz in the arms and center there are many more gamma rays

then the planets themselves will have a difficulty rating deppending on their placement an natural variubals

Hmm u create the planets?

what do you mean by that

U create your planet so u can change its difficulty

makes scencs

All done i think.

cracks knuckles

The biggest discussion was in this thread on the older forum, it was also mentioned (but not really taken a lot further) here and here and in the new forum here
(There was also this thread, but discussion quickly subsided in there)

2 Likes

Thank you. I was sure I discussed disasters on this forum.

Thanks.

It’s a bit surreal seeing entire threads that I’ve apparently never seen before (since there seems to be no trace of me in them). Has it even been a year since we moved?

We also discussed it on the most recent dev stream.

Yeah I agree. I apparently thought the older forum used to have way less threads that were less than 5 threads long, and this forum had way more, but now I see that if anything, the older forum had more. (Though I do kinda feel like the posts on the older forum were of a bit higher quality. Still, that might just be nostalgia talking) Also, the move was about half a year ago (March) . I actually thought it had been way more than that, but it makes sense I guess (the creation of this forum was around December/November)

So what will push the player to become a specialized megafauna if they tend to get wiped out?
I’ll answer my own question.
The first (player-based) reason is “because they can.” If you want to become a big-chassis dinosaur, we are 100% not stopping you.
The second (mechanics-based) reason would because of their specialization: it’s pretty difficult to challenge their niche. Adaptable creatures tend to run into a lot of competition.
I think this philosophy should be the entirety of how evolution works, especially in later stages. Either you do it because it would be fun, or you do it because it will bring you advantages.

2 Likes

Yep.

Can’t wait for tales to be told of pulling through extinction events as something with no business surviving one. Hopefully , they’ll put an earlier save up for download so people can see if they can do the same (unless whatever was in the game would get the user tempbanned I think you know why).

2 Likes

I think what needs to be remembered is that this is a game first and a simulator second, and games need to be fun. You know what isn’t fun? Random, unavoidable deaths. Is it realistic that the sun could blow up and turn the whole planet to vapour before you have half a chance to do anything about it? Yes. Is it fun? No. Should people be able to opt into that kinda thing if they’re the kind of crazy masochistic nihilist that likes that? Perhaps. But adding something that takes time and effort only to make a game less fun is something modders should be doing, not game devs. Just my opinion.

5 Likes