Another thread about Alien life

it should probably just be what you see if you’ve already saved a planet and try to save it again under the same name so it can be found easier

only if someone wants to code them, they’re not really required and it could be a mod, so unless someone decides to on their own and finishes it i don’t think they are something i couldn’t play without

Why do locally saved planets take more space than the others?

They wouldn’t, but if we include like 1000 planets (or maybe even more, depending on how well the data can be compressed) and the player saved like 10 planets it would be very unlikely for the player to ever see their own saved planets.

1 Like

The players homeworld can be copied and placed very close the homeworld in a new game. Or it can be the same as in spore. All the worlds exist in one galaxy.

1 Like

I think I agree that this is absolutely a kinda luxury type feature, where it shouldn’t be done til pretty much everything else is complete. There isn’t much point to the function of the game when there could already be many premade planets that could appear nearby

However, if this feature were to be implemented (speaking from a non-coders perspective), a potential way it could be done is a player could choose to save their planet during a play through at any point, and that planet could be inserted into the randomized with the premade planets. When that planet is discovered by the player, it could be at the point they saved it at, allowing them to see it in a new game. (Potentially, there could also be an opt-in where auto-evo continues on ‘your planet’ after you discover it). An optional additional system could be ‘favoriting’ planets so they have a higher likelihood to appear in your game

Another opt in option could be the default of premade planets, but if you want you could have auto evo make planets, allowing uniqueness at the cost of loading speed, but it was the players choice to lower the performance like this

Again, I think it’s prolly not worth adding this feature as a goal to accomplish, but these were just some initial ideas if anyone ever ends up doing it

Edit: Please do note I haven’t really been following the conversation here, so sorry if some of these ideas are repeats

1 Like

I thought evolution wouldn’t continue after aware stage because you no longer live through millions of years.

But it would be possible to have auto evo to create an alternate future of the planet and discovering that version.

This would be a good thing to add. If you liked mountains, you could favorite mountainous planets and the game could give you that kind of planets to explore. If you had a fear of spiders, you could dislike planets that had spider-oids and you would stop seeing them.

This is planned, i think. But it wouldn’t happen at the same time as when you are playing the game. You could let the auto evo running during the night and when it is completed you could add the planets that are created to your game.

Summary

You know what would be the perfect thing to add to the game? Quantum space whales.

Every once in a while, a species in a planet quantum tunnels to another planet, continuing its evolution there. This way, you could interact with your previous creations before the space stage.

2 Likes

just like in real life it would but the time skips and thus the perceived speed at which it happens would be slower, that could be combined with the second part though.

that would make even less sense than a few naked mole rats getting sealed in clay right before the earth gets hit by a meteor that shatters the crust and sends it flying into space hits and those mole rats somehow surviving a journey to mars that takes long enough that it is already fully terraformed by the time they get there, not getting cooked on the way into the atmosphere, and surviving the landing to establish a population on mars, something that big can’t quantum tunnel through anything thicker than graphene and even that would be risky, i think the word you’re looking for might be getting kidnapped by aliens who have a law that doesn’t allow them to interfere with evolution more than a certain amount on planets that have life they didn’t put there?

1 Like

No, I mean the normal quantum tunneling, because of the rule of cool. Random chunks of matter are teleported to other random locations in the universe, and this sometimes carries a large animal from the surface of a planet to another one. But being abducted and transported by aliens would also do the trick.

that wouldn’t be quantum tunneling, that would either be wormholes or straight up teleportation, and a scientifically correct game wouldn’t and shouldn’t call something quantum tunneling when it’s teleportation to a whole new planet as quantum tunneling is something going fast enough that the physics rate of the universe can’t stop it from going through a really thin object, so aliens would be more likely.

… I gave your post a like because I was certain you were joking by making a really ridiculous statement.

And also as a thanks for digging up the previous time I had to talk about this.

I propose a few methods for generation of Alien Biomes and species.

1. AI generation
  2. System generation from several preset variables
  3. Manual generation

You are going to have to elaborate a bit. Otherwise I’ll merge this into the Another thread about Alien life thread.

Basically we come up with ideas for each method.

For example the thread serves to list manual pre-set biomes, but also is a place to come up with variable, and is also a place to come up with AI solutions.

I merged this thread as biomes are part of what a planet generator for the space stage needs to create to make (alien) planets.

Since nothing is evolving anymore once you reach awakening, could auto evo for other planets run in the background? For it to not kill the framerate, maybe cell stage could be skipped, with cell presets being chosen instead, and auto evo could be simplified by using limb and organ presets, along with everything that would obviously evolve being forced to happen (eyes and mouth in the front, less gravity = more legs, etc.) Obviously this would take a long time to code, but it would be much more convincing than entire planet presets.

the amount of legs per unit of gravity is likely a parabola, less gravity below a certain point = more legs until you have little enough to allow fish to swim in air, and above a certain point more gravity = more legs due to increased need for structural stability until you get high enough gravity to stop the evolution of land dwellers

How exactly? The only way that works to create an equivalent base is to load a pre-simulated microbe stage. That’s the problem with everything regarding this: all species evolve along with their competition so you can either save fully ran auto-evo simulations or you can make a mishmash of different species which is an unstable configuration auto-evo will likely want to kill a bunch of species from immediately.

If theres lots of different presets, a ton of them could be all put on one planet, and then auto evo could be ran on them, except it’s tweaked to give greatly exaggerated values, so the weak ones are quickly wiped extinct. This would allow auto evo to only run one round in cell stage, so it wouldn’t be a huge problem for performance.

Is there a reason for that? Choosing random planets from a larger list of pre generated planets would also ensure seeing new planets in every new game.

No, they are the same.

1 Like

Couldn’t auto-evo be run on the pre-generated planets? Just like a drop of Evolution here or there on a single planet or even a single patch. Planets closes to the player’s world getting priority while planets farthest away would not get changed at all due to the breadcrumb system. Or would even acknowledging the existence of other planets tank the preformance?