Calendar Talk

@hhyyrylainen, can you move the calendar talk from Thrivemas thread to this thread?

By the way, why don’t we just use a calendar that places “Year 0” at the birth of the Universe and separates the Common Timeline into several epochs based on physical, biological and societal events (e.g. first quarks, creation of the Solar System, beginning of life, etc.)?

I can totally support this, in fact, i’ve worked on something like that before. Might share it, if i find it. Though i would put the “Year 0” at the beginning of the Earth, as i think that’s the most important thing to us living beings of Earth.

One problem, we don’t have that accurate of an estimate. I’d say it’s incredibly accurate, but that’s only relative. It is no where near that accurate. Also for the starting on the birth of the earth idea, what do you qualify as being formed? Even if we had a precise target level of formation we don’t have that good estimates for that either. So until (and this may never happen) we get the estimates down to about a year of accuracy this isn’t going to happen. Also yeah I wish we could do that.

1 Like

The real question is: Why should we change calendar?

1 Like

Unfortunately you are late on that one, because, quite sensibly, humanity came together at the start of 2020 and decides it makes million percent more sense that decades start the first year when the tens place in a year is incremented.

1 Like

That would mean not all decades would be 10 years long, since, in our calendar, there was no year 0 (and therefore the first decade A.D and the first decade B.C would be 9 years long). Since that’s also what we do with centuries, I don’t see why we should count decades any different.

Well, sucks to have been born in the first decade, you only got to live 9 years of it…
Centuries is also a broken system, and always confuses me for at least a couple of seconds before I remember I need to subtract one and multiply by 100 to get the actual year.

It’s more out of consistency. If we have defined a decade to be 10 years long, I should expect all of them to be that length.

That’s because people decided to call the first century the first century (89 is in the century I), since they didn’t have the 0 as a number at the time and it would mean we would have two 0 centuries.

Thrive puts year 0 at when the first microbe starts living. That’s also when the microbe stage starts.

I think it’s a very good point in time to put it as it removes differences regarding how long it takes for life to form on different planets.

For scientific accuracy. But I do agree that if humanity needs a common calendar, it should try to fit most if not all cultures. Keeping some aspects of the Gregorian calendar would be good to avoid creating too many changes.