Crash upon leaving multicellular freebuild editor

Version 0.6.4

Unhandled Exceptions start at line 240.

I was making an organism comprised of various cell types in multicellular freebuild and upon leaving editor game crashed.

CellTemplate can't be placed at this location

is I assume the problem.

Looks like the problem is specific to the cell body plan you created. Could you share a screenshot for example of what you created?

I was pretty sure this had been reported before, but I didnā€™t find an open issue about this so I created a new one:

1 Like

It isnā€™t exactly the same, but it also crashed with the same error.

It kind of looks like youā€™ve edited some of the cell types. Thatā€™s also pretty important as the conversion from cell placement to the layout needs to take into account the full cell hexes to try to move everything so that they do not overlap.

1 Like

I got a crash with the same error description, but with only 3 cells in a vertical line. Iā€™m now getting it again. It crashes on exiting editor after editing some cells. Hereā€™s the output:

And hereā€™s the save file:

To reproduce: load save, enter editor, edit Motor cell, add flagellum to back of cell, click Confirm. Adding a flagellum elsewhere on the cell doesnā€™t cause the crash.

1 Like

Thanks for the save. With it I was able to easily reproduce the crash. And investigate my hunch that the organelle repositioning logic was triggering after the cell positions were selected leading the cells to no longer fit in the positions chosen.

Hereā€™s the fix I made:

1 Like

Was playing with what I could do with multi-cellular builds and was attempting to make production cells along with movement cells, to see if I could specialize them,

(Also It would be neat to have a button I could press like delete to remove the cell without having to go through the menu, would be good for people like me who want to push what can be done or for people who just want to mess about in cell customization, just a suggestion :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Welcome!

It looks like you havenā€™t updated Thrive. There is an update available (0.6.4.1) which provides fixes for at least some errors of the sort mentioned in the crash report. Multicellular is much more playable now. It should update automatically on Steam, and you should be able to load your saves from the previous version (you can just ignore the warning message that pops up on the Load screen).

3 Likes

Looks like you are playing 0.6.4.0. Could you update to the latest patch? This should be solved already.

Does the same hotkey for quick delete not work as it does in the microbe editor?

I am playing the up to date version.

Edit: apparently its not updating on steam for some reason, I just checked the version.

Do you have the beta selected on Steam? Itā€™s still on the old version in case someone has a bug with 0.6.4.1 they want to rollback for. If not you can verify the game files through Steam which should make it immediately detect that there is a newer build of the game and start downloading it.

Edit: reading through the code the hotkey for a delete thing under the cursor should also work for the multicellular editor.

[RunOnKeyDown("e_delete")]
public void RemoveHexAtCursor()

Is in the base class so both editors should react to the delete keybinding the same way.

It works in the multi-cellular editor, but not the multi-cellular cell editor

You mean in the early multicellular editor and not in the late multicellular (macroscopic where things are built out of metaballs)? Thatā€™s certainly a possibility that I just didnā€™t add it there as well. Thatā€™s starting to be a very rough prototype so itā€™s not a high priority to add it there, but someone could probably send a pull request to us making that change quite easily.

Where is the script to handle that? I couldnā€™t find it.

MetaballEditorComponentBase.cs. Which looks like it already even has a copy-pasted version of

[RunOnKeyDown("e_delete")]
    public void RemoveHexAtCursor()

but it just has a throw new NotImplementedException(); so I obviously didnā€™t have time to implement that when I was very quickly trying to do all of the remaining prototypes.

1 Like