Discussion Thread About Infinity

Infinity is not a number. You can’t do math with it. That’s silly.

i didnt say it is
i just tried to keep the thread alive somehow

Infinity is pretty close to zero as far as I can tell expect much h more so. You can’t decide by infinity at all. Think about it, infinity isn’t on the number line, it’s how big the number line is. You can actually remove infinity from infinity. Imagine a hotel with infinite rooms and infinite guests. If every guest
in an odd numbered room left the hotel could still be completely full of the management made everyone move to a room with half the number as the one they had before. You can keep taking people from infinity forever.

Similarly you can’t decide by infinity. How many times does infinity go into 1? 0. Carry the 1 to. .1 and do the same thing. It’s 0.00000000000000000000000000000… because Infinity is too big, but it’s not 0 unless we’re using floating point.

3 Likes

And then there is UNCOUNTABLE infinity, which is infinitely larger than COUNTABLE infinity.
Uncountable infinity is, say, how many numbers are in between 0 and 1.

or how many digits are in pi to the power of pi, or how many particles are in the multiverse, or how many descendants of today’s humans will ever exist if humans find a way to travel between universes or between multiverses after that

One thing from reading random stuff on Quora I’ve learned is that only mathematical beginners care about the decimal expansion of a number. It is only interesting in very niche areas. Real mathematics just deals with the numbers themselves, not their decimal representations.

1 Like

yeah…those normies…

P-adic numbers are very interesting. A certain infinite number multiplied by another number can actually be a fraction.

Example.

7*…2857143=…0000001. Meaning the equation is equal to 1/7.

2 Likes