Energy Weapons

I just noticed I make a lot of weapon threads.

So this can be related to Ion Weapons but really any talk of that should go on that thread but this is more lasers and any other form of energy weapons. This is also labeled future and not future space because you could develope energy weapons before going to space.

Unless I am wrong you can’t see a laser, even one powerful enough to kill someone so how will that look. Maybe a battlefield of lasers would just be a bunch of people suddenly have a hole in their chest and falling down with no crossfire visible. Or would a laser with enough energy be so hot that you could see it but it would only be the wavy vapor effect.

The funny thing is that you don’t see a laser even strong enough to be visible and kill you before it hits you.

I would love if there was a way to recreate the death star or something similar with energy laser weapons

Then the rebel will come and… history repeats o.o

But I agree that could be awesome

I would rather want something like the Quarantine Enforcement Platform from Subnautica rather than a planet destroying death ray.

1 Like

Let’s post on this again. I can’t think of any non-ion energy weapons that aren’t a form of laser. So it falls down to what kind of energy is used in these laser. Something I’ve thought of is the creation of a gamma ray laser. This would probably be lethal to all organic life but would it be destructive to something like a vehicle or building?

Yeah, if the electromagnetic waves are strong enough, it’s almost like getting whipped by a physical object.

I was talking more about the radiation that you would receive from a gamma beam.

Actually wouldn’t using radioactivity as a weapon count as an energy weapon. If you cover an area with radiation but don’t actually spread the radioactive material causing it around you could just stop spreading the radiation and the area would be safe to live on again.

I think it depends how powerful the laser was. A sufficiently powerful one could damage electical circuits by causing currents to be generated inside components (I think this is what happened to the robots trying to clean up Chernobyl). At even higher energies the gamma rays would heat the material the vehicle or building was made of enough to damage or destroy it.

Here is some footage of a laser shooting down a drone

1 Like