Evo thread

Have you guys heard of evo search for eden or the shinka ron (japanese predecessor for evo sfe on pc)? And i havent seen anything likethis since but i liked it. The esfe didnt have good story but wasnt a bad one.
And if youre asking what esfe is then check there wiki.

2 Likes

i have heard of it, and i played it on an emulator on my browser

And how far did you get? I got to the human boss I think.

Funny story, I actually wanted to make a thread about the original PC98 game (shinka ron), but it seemed like such a strange thing to make a thread for at the time, you know?

Anyway, I’ve played through the game once before thanks to the fanmade translation (emulation process is a bit weird since this thing’s spread across multiple floppy disks). Unlike EVO, it’s a turn-based RPG, and evolution is based off of increasing one of four stats to become a different species, rather than mixing and maxing different parts.

I took screencaps of all the playable species in the first age (Devonian Period). They’re organized by which tier of evolution they’re in, with the leftmost ones (associated with the “Endurance” and “Wisdom” stats) coming first before the rightmost ones (associated with the “Attack” and “Vitality” stats). I also included their in-game descriptions; they’re from 1990, so don’t expect them to match with modern findings all the time. Below that, you’ll also find any unique abilities each species can use.

Tier 6: Starter

Thelodus
10cm in Length. Ate plankton. The surface of its flat body was rough like a cat’s tongue.

• Era Inhabited: Silurian to the Devonian
Tier 5

Birkenia
10cm in Length. Ate plankton. Mainly lived near the water’s surface and in shallow waters.

• Era Inhabited: Devonian

Cephalaspis
20cm in Length. Ate plankton. Clung to riverbeds and sucked up prey while swimming. Ancestor of the lamprey.

Hemicyclaspis
30cm in Length. Mainly ate plankton. Lived in estuaries and swam slowly along riverbeds.

Bothriolepis
30cm in Length. Ate plants and small animals. Appeared to crawl along riverbeds and lakebeds.

Tier 4

Climatius
10cm in Length. Ate small animals. Lived in rivers and lakes and swam swiftly through the water.

• Era Inhabited: Devonian.

Gemuendina
20~25cm in Length. Ate small animals. Lived primarily on the ocean floor and attacked small animals there.

Lunaspis
20~25cm in Length. Ate shellfish and small animals.

Tier 3

Pteraspis
20~30cm in Length. Swam near the surface of the water and ate plankton. May have defended itself by using its pointed head as a weapon.

• Can use “Stab”

Acanthodes
20~30cm in Length. Ate small animals. Inhabited freshwater locations, primarily rivers and lakes.

Coccosteus
10~80cm in Length. Ate small animals. Attacked other fish with its agile and powerful jaws.

Dinichthys
10m in Length. Carnivore. Had a massive body and was believed to be ferocious. They lived in the oceans and constantly chased other fish around.

• Can use “Tackle”
Tier 2

Dipterus:
10~30cm in Length. Swam vigorously through the water. Ancestor of the Dipnoi sublcass of fish.

Cheriolepis
25~30cm in Length. Omnivore. Inhabited oceans, rivers, and lakes. Ate anything; reproduced well. Ancestor of the Osteichthyes class of fish such as sea bass or bonito.

Cladoselache
80~100cm in Length. Carnivore. Ancestor of the Chondrichthyes class of fish such as sharks. Attacked other fish using its strong jaws and fast swim speed. Its rough skin was supposedly a weapon against other fish.

• Can use “Sharkskin”
Tier 1

Osteolepis
20cm in Length. Carnivore. Primarily inhabited freshwater locations. Ancestor to the Crossopterygian subclass of fish.

Coelacanth
30~50cm in Length. Primarily carnivorous. Stayed close to reefs and rocky areas during the day and went hunting for food in the shallow ocean at night.

• Era Inhabited: Devonian to the Cretaceous and…?

Eusthenopteron
60cm in Length. Carnivore. Lived in freshwater areas like rivers. Climbed on shoals and on land using its pectoral fin on occasion.

• Era Inhabited: Devonian to the Carboniferous
Tier 0: Age 2 Starter

Ichthyostega
1m in Length. Carnivore. Inhabited freshwater locations and occasionally climbed on land. Couldn’t survive away from water as it was weak to drying out.

1 Like

Here’s the translated manual’s timeline of the PC98 game’s universe. This is just to put into perspective how bizarre the story is (not that that’s a bad thing).

Right click and open each in a new tab to make the words easier to see.

Anyway, I found the time to get the portraits and descriptions of the species from the second age (Carboniferous Period). This is when the developers started adding made-up creatures to fill in gaps. This age makes heavy use them; only half of the new species that you actually get to play as (rather than become in transition to the next age) are real. In later ages, you can usually tell them apart from the real ones short-hand due to their names being portmanteaus of the species they’re filling gaps between.

Tier 4: Starter

Ichthyostega
1m in Length. Carnivore. Inhabited freshwater locations and occasionally climbed on land. Couldn’t survive away from water as it was weak to drying out.

Tier 3

Teilhardorphus
50cm in Length. Carnivore. Inhabited bogs and swamplands.

• Era Inhabited: ?
  • Apparently, this species is fictional. The developers named it after Teilhard de Chardin, a Frenchman who contributed to the study of Peking Man. Since this isn’t made apparent in the base game (the species name’s Japanese text characters don’t match with the ones used for his name today) the translators had a bit of trouble with this one.

Diplocaulus
50~60cm in Length. Primarily carnivorous. Inhabited riverbeds and swamps. Supposedly croaked loudly like a frog and had well-developed hearing.

• Era Inhabited: Carboniferous to the Permian

Lubrovstega

• This character was made specifically for this game and doesn’t exist.
Tier 2

Cacops
40cm in Length. Carnivore. Ate fish and lived in swamps and near rivers. Defended itself with its strong limbs and sturdy armored back. Nocturnal.

• Era Inhabited: Permian

Mesosaurus
~60cm in Length. Carnivore. Inhabited freshwater locations and supposedly ate smaller fish. Its body was well-adapted to living in the water.

• Era Inhabited: Early Permian

Marinops:
This character was made specifically for this game and doesn’t exist. Defended itself by spitting stomach acid on enemies.

• Can use “Spit Bile”
Tier 1

Anubisaurus
This character was made specifically for this game and doesn’t exist. Nimble.

Eryops
1.5m in Length. Carnivore. Adapted to living on land with its sturdy body and short legs. Inhabited swampy areas, crawling around in the mud.

• Era Inhabited: Permian to the Triassic

Euromostega
This character was made specifically for this game and doesn’t exist. Attacked other animals by spitting stomach acid at them.

• Can use “Spit Bile”
Tier 0: Age 3 Starters

Araeoscelis
30~60cm in Length. Carnivore. Hunted insects by running nimbly over rocks and through thickets.

• Era Inhabited: Early Permian

Seymouria
60cm in Length. Carnivore. Normally lived in the water, but was able to easily walk on land. A middle species between amphibians and reptiles.

• Era Inhabited: Early Triassic

Diadectes
1.5m in Length. Carnivore. Its shoulders and hips were well-developed allowing it to move nimbly. Resembled an iguana with its short limbs.

• Era Inhabited: Late Carboniferous
2 Likes