Game Freeze on Launch

Well even if you installed Windows, it’s pretty unlikely you’d see the same issue. We’ve used Godot for a couple of years now, and this is the first time anyone has reported the game just being stuck. Everyone else either has it crash, work, or work after using GLES2 with disabled videos.

I’m still open to things to try but I’m also just hoping it’ll change with an update. Odd that this is the only Godot game that simply refuses to run on this computer, seeing as it’s still very much new.

After coming back to look at this a couple days after I notice that the thrive launcher also outputs a log in it’s own folder in %appdata% which contains what could be the issue maybe. If one of you wonderful devs could take a peek at this pastebin and let me know, I would appreciate. I think the relevant part is probably the rendering error portion about Avalonia. Of course, this is logged just on running the launcher, nothing appears after the game actually attempts to start.

I now know this issue is something to do with fullscreen OpenGL rendering, as neither the game nor a render test works when run in fullscreen. I do however get a successful launch of the test when run in windowed, but Thrive fails to launch in windowed mode even with the -w or --windowed flags, with or without resolutions specified. It does appear to run just fine when run with --no-window, though it didn’t quit with the --check-only flag but I am probably just misunderstanding something about that one in particular. I pasted the output from a run with no-window below.

Hope this helps or that someone can think of a solution.

I see that error myself on Windows ([OpenGL] Unable to initialize EGL-based rendering). It doesn’t seem to cause any problems, but I did open an issue to remember to look into it at some point:

And the launcher logs really don’t tell anything extra about running Thrive. The only thing you can see in the launcher is the Thrive process exit code, but if the process freezed it doesn’t actually exit with an error code.

Well Thrive is defined by the project settings to start in fullscreen mode as that is more likely that hybrid graphics select the dedicated GPU. I’m not sure at what point the Godot flags will apply, but it could be the case that they also apply later, or don’t work for Thrive?

Well I guess this proves that the problem is that Godot freezes when trying to create the window for rendering on your computer when playing Thrive. I see in the no-window log that everything printed from Thrive works fine, even the line ------------ Thrive Startup Succeeded ------------ appears. So I’m pretty much now convinced that this is a Godot engine bug triggered with certain conditions all going exactly wrong on your computer.

Check ProjectSettings — Godot Engine (stable) documentation in English, which describes a way to override project settings with override.cfg. It may help you. I used it to override the game resolution before.

Try overriding the full-screen mode to windowed mode.