General Minecraft Talk

Java let’s you have custom skins and doesn’t make you buy off of an online market place to get one.
It supports modding.
Redstone works objectively better on Java.
It supports server plugins (mods that you don’t need to download to use, like the custom item and entity skins on the empires server)
Glass is multi-threaded when placed at top a beacon which allows you to exploit the game.
Our mods are better.
And we have worse combat.

What more could you want?

1 Like

I mean you can customize skins to a certain extent on bedrock, and as someone who has played on a mixed server with Java redstone I can say I personally prefer bedrock redstone

Mods/plugins that are more easily accessible are pretty much the only argument I see with merit that says Java is inherently better, and even then several versions of Bedrock (particularly those playable on computers) have just as easy access to mods as Java does, even if the majority of Bedrock users don’t, and there is also the marketplace (tho ofc that has issues galore, being micro transactions for a majority of marketplace content and whatnot)

Now I’m not trying to say one version is inherently better than the other - they both have their ups and downs. I just prefer bedrock from the limited experience that I have

Edit: in tandem with the last paragraph, I went back and edited my statement a few posts above

Main problem with Bedrock is that it has many irritating bugs that can kill you, such as killed-in-elytra-flight bug and other annoying bugs like this. Also as far as I’m aware, 1.18 world blending is terrible on bedrock and ended up generating for instance broken mansions, whereas in java mansions generated partly in 1.17 and partly in 1.18 generated fine.
Also I’ve heard that reason why Bedrock is this bad is because Microsoft wanted bedrock to be “For Players” edition of minecraft, while Java was supposted to be “For Content Creators” edition of minecraft.

somebody needs to buy minecraft from microsoft and remove all the microtransactions and replace them with a link to a donations page on the main menu

1 Like

Post-1.9 combact is superior to Pre-1.9 combact, anyone who says the contrary is just angry that they can’t mindlessly spam click anymore.

1 Like
  • Replace Mojang with Community Modders
  • Let Mojang stay in place of producer

0 voters

Which one do you choose?

Mojang all the way

Though this prolly should have been in the Minecraft talk thread

Edit: was originally in miscellaneous talk thread

Java on PC (sometimes with mods), although I rarely play Minecraft these days so I always get a surprise whenever I start playing again since I always miss so many updates.

Except that they expect so much from the modding community that they completely ignore making the game better. Just look at the VR port, it can barely even called VR on vanilla gameplay (talking about Skyrim, not MC).

It has to be gabeN! What I would suggest is that only the Java Edition is taken away from Microsoft, have it be open-sourced and put on Steam with a working Workshop. However, I doubt that someone or rather a company (please not FB) will buy the MC legacy just for the Java Edition, that is more likely to happen with hackers.

You mean Microsoft, not Mojang, right?

hehehe double post FTW

I mean Mojang still does exist as a sub group of Microsoft, so it isn’t incorrect to say Mojang in that statement

Tbh I think most of the things people have been upset about with the game over the last few years have come via Microsoft(micro transactions, 1.19.2 chat banning, etc), what would probably be most ideal imo is either Microsoft takes a step back or Mojang comes out from under there thumb entirely, instead of having the game open sourced or given to a group of modders

1 Like

You seem to have forgotten that Mojang still exists, and that Java edition is also the Mojang edition while Bedrock is the Microsoft edition.

Aren’t all versions of Minecraft made by Mojang? It would be a very inefficient decision to have a wholly separate development team for different versions, especially when the versions mostly have the same content.

Yeah, both platforms are run by Mojang, they just have two different coding teams due to the two different coding languages

We see that most of our community wants to overthrow Mojang and replace it with community modders…
Let’s hope that it will happen one day

I hope not with how some of the modding drama happen, it be like 10x worse

1 Like

I do not trust modders to do a good job. It also seems to be that some people that voted didn’t even know Mojang still existed.

2 Likes

Is this actually known? Do you have a source on this?

It might be different with very underpaid (and sometimes underskilled) game game programmers, but in normal software engineering, you need to use a bunch of languages, and often a single project will be in multiple languages at the same time. So having different programming languages is a really bad excuse to need to split a team.

Yeah, I don’t imagine how modders would be better at continuing Minecraft development than the studio that has been developing it all these years. They have experience in releasing versions, listening to feedback and bug reports, they have experienced designers who know how to listen to feedback without letting the loudest voices of the minority ruin the game for the majority of the quiet players.

3 Likes

In some of Mojangs announcements they refer to their bedrock programming team and their Java programming team separately, and while they do say they work closely together iirc it is clearly stated that they are two separate teams

I could be wrong, but I’m like 90% sure it’s two separate teams that work closely together

I agree, while Mojang certainly has its flaws they do it many times better than a modding team would - this has even been acknowledged by people who were modding team leaders and then went to work for Mojang, such as Kingbdogz

Thing with Mojang I noticed recently is that they clearly have became too lazy to create updates. Note the COMPLETE Failure of Wild Update and fact that 1.20 already has got all of it’s main features annouced (it was stated in cherry biome annoucement), meaning that we will have 2 (1.19, 1.20) small or in the best medium-sized updates in a row without larger update (like 1.16) between any of them.
Suspiciously, all of those “failure” updates happened when Agnes Larsson was in office, which could mean that something she is doing may affect way updates end up being like.
ALSO, Agnes Larsson and other higher-rank employees don’t appear to notice that next-gen voxel game, which is said to be better than a hypothetical Minecraft 2 (Hytale) is supposted to come out rather soon, which may mean that they have given up on Minecraft as they have seen that it’s not possible for MC to fight Hytale (they accepted death of MC)

Edit: removed mention of .17 and .18

Ah yes, 1.18, a small update.

1 Like