How to install mods

By the title, you can guess that I am asking how to install mods and I know about the mod installer and

• it doesn’t work

• it is for an older version

so i am asking how to install mods in 0.5.5

Well until we get a mod loader. For example if this gets done:

Before that. Basically the only way to make mods is to make an alternative Thrive.pck file and replace the original one with that. So the mod authors need to do that for now.

I made a tool that can unpack and re-pack a .pck file with modified content:

So with that and the Godot editor it should be possible to make graphics replacement mods, and also other kinds (but those are harder to make).
I hope we eventually get mod support in the game as the current approach has major downsides like only being able to have one mod at a time and each mod requires downloading the entire contents of the Thrive.pck file (even the ones that didn’t change).

1 Like

I meant a place where we can get mods

So far all the mods here on the forums have included a download link. I’m not aware of any mods that have been made but haven’t been posted on here.

Perhaps when Thrive goes on Steam, it will have a workshop. Otherwise, modders can still use Nexus Mods.

I think the forum will probably the main way for awhile though something like gamebanana could be used

Get this thing in the Thrive settings in 0.5.6 or whatever the next version is.

What do you mean? It’s a command line tool. What would it do when included in the settings menu?

so how do we install the mod by renaming the mod file and then replacing the original file with the modded one?

yeah you replace the thrive.pck file with your modded one

so then what is the file name that i have to replace cuz there is only 1 file but it says th.pak

what mod are you trying to install?

th.pak sounds like an Electron language file, that’s the framework that is used to make the Launcher. So my guess would be that you are looking in the wrong folder.

Btw for 0.5.6, I’m working on a little something that looks like this:

I’ll also try to make some modding tutorials but it’ll probably take a while until those are in really good shape.

5 Likes

I thought that @Evolution4Weak was working on it…

I think they stopped working on it and closed the pull request. And that was months ago, I think. So I did my own thing entirely from scratch.

Well my version just got bugged out and literally won’t open so I just decided to just to close it and reimplement on a fresh version but I just haven’t had time to work on it

is there anyway i can help with this though?

You could help investigate this:

and also how to make mods with gdscript. Those are things I haven’t had time to fully look into yet.

making mods with gd seems to be basically the same as making mods with c# except you don’t have to mess around with dll’s and some classes can’t be accessed right now (like the constant class or i think any static class), so there need to be some sort of gdscript interface to make that work but it seem gdscript mod work right now

edit:
also made some ui edits if you are interested:

2 Likes

How do the scripts from them get executed? Did you have to overwrite an existing scene or something to get the code to load?

Edit: opened an issue about this: Make an example gdscript mod · Issue #5 · Revolutionary-Games/ThriveMods · GitHub