How to pick up an umbrella mod

Hello guys,

This is my second mod, and so far the most useful that I have ever created.
It replaces the intro video and the microbe stage intro with How to basic’s “how to pick up an umbrella”.
(actually the intro and the microbe stage intro are really well done imo, pieces of art. It just gets repetitive over time :stuck_out_tongue: )

Don’t believe me?
https://imgur.com/a/nmd4DRJ

How to install with my mod installer?
Download this zip file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UuOPuf5gMkIcWco68HSehL2ngbqnW2h6/view?usp=sharing
Extract it somewhere in your downloads.
Move the “umbrella” folder from inside the zip into your Mods folder
Open the mod installer and install any of your backups with this mod selected
(or install an empty “backup” with this mod selected to save time, if your current game installation is stable)
How to install manually?
Download the zip file (same as above)
Extract it
Copy the bin folder into your clipboard
Navigate to the game install
Click on the bin folder
Press CTRL+V, and click overwrite as many times as you have to
Repeat every time you do something to your install folder

Credits:

Video taken from How to basic’s youtube channel without his permission. No communication was done with him, since we don’t share a language. I hope he doesn’t mind.

FAQ:

Why should I install this?

The same reason why I made this.

Compatibility?

Probably compatible with any other mod that doesn’t change the said videos.

This mod doesn’t do anything, you are wasting my time.

This is not a question, therefore it doesn’t belong in FAQ

2 Likes

It’s interesting that the video works for you. It’s format is:

Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (Main), yuv420p(tv, smpte170m/bt470bg/bt709, progressive), 640x360 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 180k tbc (default)

And I got a bit worried as it’s possible to get sued if your program supports mp4 format without licensing the patents behind it. But when I tried the video on my computer I got this:

[ERROR] VideoPlayer: FFMPEG: unsupported codec used in video file
[ERROR] VideoPlayer: FFMPEG: Failed to open video stream

And the video didn’t play.
This is the correct format for videos for Thrive:

Stream #0:0: Video: vp9 (Profile 1), gbrp(pc, gbr/unknown/unknown), 1920x1080, 24 fps, 24 tbr, 1k tbn, 1k tbc (default)

Hmm. I used a free video converter to convert from mp4 to mkv. Maybe it isn’t that reliable as I thought it would be. I will update when I figure it out.

The gotcha here is that the video is supposed to be vp9, which is usually in a webm container, but our video is inside a matroska container. And usually all converters will assume that you want to put mp4 video inside matroska.

I had a problem with my mod too. I replaced the video with an mkv (converted from mp4 to mkv), it would play but without audio. But thanks for the explanation @hhyyrylainen.

The audio needs to be vorbis or opus. Usually with mp4 the audio is AAC, which can be put into matroska as is, but the game won’t play that.

What do you mean exactly? Should I keep my mkv videos or should I convert them into mp4 again?

EDIT : Do you mean I have to do some footage (i.e. separating audio and video and putting them back when I converted them) in order to play both the video and the audio @hhyyrylainen ?

You need to make a matroska file which has (these are from ffmpeg file identification):
Video: vp9 (Profile 1) and audio: vorbis

This is the full output if you are curious
Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'MicrobeIntro.mkv':
  Metadata:
    ENCODER         : Lavf58.20.100
  Duration: 00:00:16.71, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 6189 kb/s
    Stream #0:0: Video: vp9 (Profile 1), gbrp(pc, gbr/unknown/unknown), 1920x1080, 24 fps, 24 tbr, 1k tbn, 1k tbc (default)
    Metadata:
      ENCODER         : Lavc58.18.100 libvpx-vp9
      DURATION        : 00:00:16.710000000
    Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: vorbis, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp (default)
    Metadata:
      HANDLER_NAME    : #Mainconcept MP4 Sound Media Handler
      ENCODER         : Lavc58.35.100 libvorbis
      DURATION        : 00:00:16.643000000
1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like