(idea)Automatic evolution of the old species

I was wondering, not sure if this is planned but automatic evolution. Every generation any members of your species outside your playable area will evolve to other species, migrate to other areas, breed or die out, or even evolve to be like your species and possibly thrive, branch out, or die out. Sometimes some of your population from previous ventures may come to the player area between generations allowing more population and breeding for that generation. Also if some of your species relocates to your area they may bring adaptions and upgrades which will help out, however the most upgrades/adaptions you have the less likely this is since it’s harder to adapt when you already adapt. Also when you go extinct in the currently played area but all your species has evolved into something else outside the playable area, you can probably play as one of your species evolved cell descendants, though that wouldn’t make sense for why you could do that.

So far the idea that the player species also experiences auto-evo species splitting, has not been decided to be included.

I’m kinda against the idea because then the player would need to be very careful with their evolutions, otherwise they might lose 50% of their population that decides to leave to be a new species. So that adds a lot of complexity in the GUI that we would need to tell the player, and also it might be frustrating when you can’t make the changes to your species that you want without risking losing a huge chunk of your population.

2 Likes

Evolution is of 1000 of year thing, so I think while playing it should be impossible to evolve.

Evolution should happen when we have a time skip ( just like In current game)

Who cares about that bro? Like, all the continents moved to all over the place on the globe, the patch map completely changed, a meteor hit and sea levels rose, hundreds of glacial and interglacial periods ocurred, but I still can’t get to see a single species that evolved from me because it would hurt the feelings of a hypothetical complaining person in that scenerio who is sad about the 20 cells he had 100 million years ago now being 10 cells, and oh, it is now a completely different species by the way.

why did you reply to a 3 year old post?

Umm, quite many? One of the most common things I see people commenting on our community Discord is that auto-evo hates them and takes away all their population each time.

It’s kind of expected in Thrive that any discussion has come up before… so better try to continue a previous thread than have duplicate threads.

1 Like

Players shouldn’t worry about the population they had eons ago.

Start each generation with the same population no matter what it was previously. And set a minimum population for completing a generation. You have 2 times that population? Then your species splits into 2 species. 3 times? Then it splits into 3. And so on. No special treatment for the players species in order to solve a glaring issue by creating another glaring issue.

not only would that remove the possibility of going extinct and thus make players that want a challenge bored, it would make it impossible for you to get the good chemicals by making big number go up. also it’d just be unrealistic on top of that

1 Like

I see that there needs to be an exception for this. Unless the generation leghts are determined with a countdown which I don’t think is a good solution because at least for singleplayer because in Thrive the player can stop progressing and remain in the same stage. The extension of this idea is staying in the same time period in that stage.

For player, the extinction requirement is => The population drops to zero

The requirement for moving to the next generation is => The population increases to the “speciation number” and the player clicks to the evolve button that appears after that. 2 times the speciation number causes 2 species.

For npc species, the extinction requirement is => Falling below the speciation number when the player clicks the evolve button

This would make speciation a choice for the player, if he is a speedrunner he can rush through the generations and if he desires so, he can try to increase his population to twice the speciation number or more in order to speciate.

The population at the beginning of a generation can be as low as 1. Or it can be higher. This can be changed in the settings and there can be combined options, a “minimum countdown” can prevent the player from moving to the next generation too early and this would cause very succesful players to speciate even if they don’t want to, and a “maximum countdown” can declare the player exctinct if he remains below the speciation number when the countdown reaches to zero and if he is above that number, forcefully send him to the cell editor. I think the countdowns should be turned off by default, and they should be equal to each other for multiplayer games.

And this is how Thrive can have multiplayer games.

Npc species don’t get a say when the next generation begins and this would be the only special treatment the players species gets, if it can be called that.

I don’t understand what that is.

first, multiplayer is nowhere near that simple to implement, especially with a constantly changing world, and second, the current system for determining pop gain/loss is better, we just need more ways to not die of death to have effective organisms that aren’t autotrophs

make big number bigger, brain give more dopamine. that’s what it is.

1 Like

The only big problem is entering the cell editor at the same time. This can only be solved with a countdown or similar to how sleeping happens in minecraft multiplayer. And none of these options are mutually exclusive.

I haven’t said anything about what should and what shouldn’t change the population of a species, I just said that a high population should result in speciation. If heterotrophs can’t thrive, that needs to be fixed as well.

That always happens as long as population does exists. If the player can’t speciate, the only “real” reward he gets for high population would be not going extinct, and thats boolean.

I find it pretty unrealistic that the player species never branches out. That makes it so that the player species is pretty much an alien, as nothing on its planet would be like it. Imagine in late multicellular/aware stage, you have the player species that is a human copy, and none of the other species around it have anything even resembling a vertebrate body plan.

3 Likes

the player species does branch out as long as it’s successful enough and you use it to commit mass extinction event, but i do feel like the player species should have a higher chance of speciation than everything else at the same level of success as it for that reason.

3 Likes

I hope that when my species obtains a nucleus, another eukaryotic organism will branch out from my species, rather than waiting for another nucleus to evolve independently.

2 Likes

I don’t agree with “at the same level of success” but the game can force the player to be more succesful than doing the bare minimum to survive.

Lets call the speciation number S.N.

Starting population => 1 S.N. for every generation

Your species gets to 2 S.N. => The evolve button is unlocked, if you evolve now, auto evo will evolve 1 new species from you and you will evolve 1 species from you. If you increase your population to 3 S.N. or more, this gives auto evo more copies of you.

Your species remains between 1 S.N and 2 S.N => The evolve button is locked, but there is a very long, maybe 10 minute long countdown and if the countdown reaches 0, you evolve, but you stay a single species and auto evo doesn’t get a copy of you. So there is a way to not have any species evolve from you but that is very boring so the players are incentivised to not do that.

Your species falls below 1 S.N. => If your population falls to 0 or remains between 1 S.N. and 0 S.N, at the end of the countdown, you go extinct. Npc species go extinct the same way.

So we can just have the maximum countdown and get rid of the minimum countdown. The countdown stops if the player is more than 2 S.N. and he is allowed to play as much as he wants, and starts again from 10 minutes if he falls below 2 S.N. but the evolve button remains pressable.

For multiplayer, there is a 5 minute countdown and when it ends, the players with more than 1 S.N. population can click the evolve button. If 75% of the players who haven’t left the game and haven’t gone extinct due to their population becoming 0 click the evolve button, they evolve together and the players that have less than 1 S.N population go extinct. If someone speciates, they receive a link and while everyone is designing their species, that player can send that link to one of his friends who can enter the game using that link and he would be able to edit the species of his friend. This way, during a Thrive tournament, the players can revive their team members who have gone extinct. If all the teams have players that are going extinct, no one is revived and the auto evo starts controlling more and more species. If a link isn’t used, it is given to auto evo, and auto evo can speciate if it plays good and opens more space for itself by making players go extinct. But auto evo species don’t cooperate with each other, they each have their own AI. There is a 5 minute count down when using the cell or organism editor and after it ends if 75% the players want that, the editing session is ended.

the only thing i disagree with there is going extinct if your species falls below a certain number, since the player can have a species that’s perfect for its niche, but if the niche they pick isn’t one auto-evo knows how to deal with, the player species, despite being extremely successful in-game, is deemed unfit by auto-evo and thus the numbers drop rapidly, so, incase situations like that happen, the player should still not go extinct and be able to evolve, but just get an MP price increase due to the lack of genetic diversity caused by low population unless they have adaptations against diversity loss

1 Like

1280, It is said that there was a time when ancient humans only had such a low number of fertile individuals left.

Can the time it takes for players to collect sufficient reproductive nutrients be used as a basis for judging auto evo?

1 Like

In my opinion, the player is really evolving either a genus or a family rather than a single species, considering that if it really was a single species then we’d see near-identical genus-sharing members of other species of player’s branch.

1 Like

One game cycle should be enough time for a species to reach the maximum number of environments(carrying capacity), right?

1 Like

you mean that one editor cycle should be enough for a species to fill up their niche or to spread to new environments?