Ideas for the Multicellular Stage [Put your ideas in this thread]

In the version 0.6.0, we can change the kind of cell walls. So the color will change, too?

you can change those separately

Why is there no version of this for Microscopic Stage?
Should i make one?

it already exists

Oops. Why isn’t it linked at the top, then?

Because that thread doesn’t link back to here in its first post like all the other ideas thread in the series do. Probably has something to do with the fact that that thread has a different author than the other ones.

For reference and easy clicking this is that microbe variant of this thread:

1 Like

I love the idea that luciferin was named after the first creature that evolved it. :rofl:

Anyway, the multicellular editor should have stats for the entire creature. I’m assuming that’s already intended, though.

I also think that there should be a simpler set of graphics for the organelles in multicell, when zoomed out (and dependant on graphics settings). I mean, does it really make any difference to have 3d models for all the organelles, when they are barely visible on screen? If they were replaced by 2d images, a lot of people would notice no difference. An LOD system could probably make a huge difference to performance for low-end machines.

Also, I think it should be possible to zoom out the view in multicell quite a bit further. I made a creature from large cells (size 90+ in the editor), and I struggled to see anything when going up- or down-screen. Here’s a pic:

1 Like

Actually disabling all of the organelle graphics doesn’t help in low performance situations.

Here’s my profiling results:

Feel free to prove me wrong but I’ll only accept actual profiling numbers.

There’s been an open issue about this since 2021:

We need way more volunteer programmers to have any chance of implementing all of our issue backlog before the heat death of the universe (especially considering as the open issue count keeps ballooning up and up).

external gills should allow breathing on land as long as they stay hydrated like with axolotls

an effect of this would be a few more playstyles opening up like amphibians with pores on their external gills to release water onto them to keep them hydrated at the cost of water in the creature’s body and likely using them as pseudoleaves due to high surface area making mixothrophic axolotls in some playthroughs that can survive in anoxic environments as long as they have CO2 to intake

Explosive cells.

This may sound stupid, mainly because it is, but here me out. There would be cells that would combust, propelling the organism forward. This would also damage other organisms, allowing use from both predator and prey.

1 Like

The water has a lot of drag in the microscopic scales[1]. The cells or shrapnels wouldn’t be able to move very far. Might as well use a pilus.

1. Reynolds number is proportional to characteristic length and inversly proportional to viscosity ↩︎

True, but it could still be adapted for the late multicellular stage, were there is less drag.

or just hope the physics engine doesnt account for drag

1 Like

how about a hard explosive vacuole that launches a pilus really far, like halfway across a fully zoomed out screen when not upgraded and the pilus does more damage the faster it moves, obviously one of the upgrades would be making it be coated in something nonpolar to reduce drag and pierce through water like it does air. and one of the upgrades is just making it bigger to increase the distance the pilus moves

Wouldn’t that kill the shooting cell since it’d destroy membrane?

How about a pilus launcher for Soldier?

1 Like

Even if a physics engine wouldn’t implement it. We would still consider the realism when thinking about adding it to the game. This is impossible basically for the same reason as electricity zap attack for single cells: the scale is too small for it to do anything when single (or a couple) of cells try to perform it.

2 Likes

one thing that would be great to improve the visuals of the multicellular stage is to have each cell morph to fill the gaps between them. if you look at pictures of plant or muscle cells you can see that the cells don’t have any gaps and they change their shape to fit better. Of course, the multicellular stage is a prototype and this is most likely planned to happen, but I just wanted to say how cool it would look if your creature didn’t look so weird with all the gaps.

2 Likes

That has been suggested many times before. Here’s the suggestion about it: https://suggestions.revolutionarygamesstudio.com/posts/33/intercellular-matrix

There was a PR trying to start work on that but it was never finished: Add a Intercellular Matrix by GameDungeon · Pull Request #4123 · Revolutionary-Games/Thrive · GitHub

As that got closed due to being inactive, I’ve now opened an issue to track (and remember) this issue:

2 Likes
3 Likes