Ideas for the Multicellular Stage [Put your ideas in this thread]

In fact, I learnt that the game is already 3D. It’s just that the camera is right above your cell, so that it looks like 2D.

2 Likes

hej i think you need to make the camera rotate so you can see the world in any angel

Ow wow. Also is that multicellular or singlecellular? Microbial is supposed to be 2D, and so is early multicellular, but after that it becomes 3D (it was actually always 3D, but you saw it as 2D and could only move in 2D and couldn’t move the camera) and then you can move the camera (probably), unless they go ultra realism and have you see from the eyes of your creature (but then what if it doesn’t have sensory organs beside touch?).

not to get off topic but with the seeing thing I think it would be best if you could switch from first to 3rd (im going to ask in quick questions)

i have an idea plz make like a boost like in spore and yea i mean part for your animal

The developers have said that thrive won’t have premade parts, except for those who don’t want to sculpt, but even then, they’ve said that it will be more customizable. So you will be able to make almost anything, excluding unrealistic things that are bigger than planets.

1 Like

Here is an interesting thread about future 3d editor on multicellular (dev forum).

*necroed I am the necromancer!

2 Likes

You are for sure the necromancer, I cannot compete.

This addresses all of the other stages save for the microbial stage. So as far as I know there is no current way that thrive will generate terrain in a 3D environment. Sure you could use pre-made templates but… I don’t know I just think this would be better.

I am not expert in programming and don’t know how hard this would be to make, but there you are. This channel also made some other interesting programming stuff and I will link them… now!

2 Likes

I would like to say that it’s nice to have a thread were people can just quickly post random ideas they have about a stage, but at the same time big, well thought out ideas still deserve their own threads. And this thread should not discourage making such threads.

3 Likes
That’s how I see a multicellular colony become a more complex organism (animal, plant, fungi, etc.):
  1. The colony consumes nutrients.
  2. Some of the somatic cells specialize.
  3. Cells fold to make tissue.
  4. The specialized cells are cloning themselves to fold again to make an organ, which differentiate the “somatic tissue” and the specialized one.
  5. Steps from 1 to 4 are repeating until a complete complex organism is formed.
The two most advantageous tissues would be the reproductive tissue and the neuronal one. The latter is the one required to make the transition toward the Aware stage.
2 Likes

I’m pretty sure this is the third time I’ve discussed hox genes and I’m not sorry.
I think it would be interesting if that part of the multicellular stage was unlocking hox genes (or something similar). Before this point the species may just be a mass of cells, which makes sense because hox genes code for location of organs.
Segway
In fact, this could possibly be the change from the single celled editor to the multicellular one. Once you unlock hox genes you could begin to place tissues, becoming larger and larger, until you get to organs.

Edit: Only eukaryotic organisms have homeobox genes, so a nucleus would be necessary.

4 Likes

Why not this? You can leave the cell stage and then add a separate extension of 3D space with blender mesh animation for the rig of the animal. You can allow the player to rig the creature themselves. Then less work!

2 Likes

The civilization is a little too “SPORE”-ish for me. Maybe something more unique like a facility or a ksp style but with facilities. Also, I think creatures should still be able to evolve even after the creature phase, due to things like radiation, carbon emissions, and global warming.

2 Likes

We should also add cellular glues like protein polymers and glycosidic compounds. Maybe there can be boid travel AI where cells travel close like schools of fish or flocks of birds. Also it would be great if there where a key button that turns the cellular cohesion on or off (kinda like the consumption button “G”).

3 Likes

The likelihood that the average player knows how to rig a mesh is quite low, I think.

3 Likes

Fair point. Perhaps at least make the movements for the cell less rigid and stiff, because lets be honest… The cells so far aren’t the most “dynamic” if you will. Maybe for update 0.4.3 you can work on the cell movement first.

1 Like

Agreed. Question; are cells made with metaballs?

So anyone agrees with the glue idea? Maybe the hotkey should be “F” since its next to “G”. It could work by using up some of the glucose (more efficient if you have vacuoles) and it releases the glucose cloud. Then when you swim toward a cell, you become one whole organism (tissue) and you can use cell junctions to distribute nutrients. Just an idea.

1 Like

Not at the moment. Though the plan is to do a metaballs implementation and then use that to generate cell membranes, ceature skinds and lanscapes. Though it could take a while to get round to it.

3 Likes

(a month later) I really want cellular junctions. Hear me out! They don’t have to be 100% accurate just enough so that it has a low flaw count. Your two cells can share nutrients mapping a whole play of strategy for the game!

3 Likes