Ideas for the Space Stage [Put your ideas in this thread]

It’s the same as this thread (Ideas for the Multicellular Stage [Put your ideas in this thread]), but for the Space Stage.

Anyway, I wanted to share my first idea for this thread. As my first act as king, I say that it would be cool if you would have a kind of first person camera view for the Space Stage. I mean, you remember Spore’s space stage, right? There was a tool that, once unlocked, allowed you to project an hologram of yourself to walk on a planet’s surface. What I’m trying to say is that it would be cool for every strategy stage to allow the player to project an image of their own character. It would be a mix of a RPG/FPS game with a strategy game. Meaning you can have a global vision of your empire, while you can also visit your homeplanet or even your spacecraft’s inside from the viewpoint of your character, which the design depends on your species (i.e. your character is a member of your species).

One technical challenge around this is that it’s a huge amount of work to 3D model space ship interiors. For example going from this

to this

Is a massive, massive, amount of work. So if there’s people who are very enthusiastic about sci-fi interiors modelling then that’s great, however it will cost a lot of time to add interiors to everything.

Moreover there’s the question around what you could do in 1st person. If it’s just walking around a dead ship that’s one thing but if you can be onboard during a battle that means NPC’s ai, weapon and damage effects, sounds etc. That’s like making a whole extra game.

There’s quite a lot of people on the team who strongly imagine the later stages in 1st person 3D and I can totally understand the appeal of it. My main question is around how much work is it worth spending on it.

7 Likes

If I had to be honest, I don’t really envision the space stage ever being a single creature walking around the interior of a ship. Maybe at most it could be an interior view of the cockpit as the player pilots a ship, but I think the space stage should remain as a strategy-type game. The ascension stage could feature the player taking control of a individual organism maybe.

2 Likes

About fpp. I like this idea! And how I know, we will play for commander, that will be in start system or in space. And I think, we will see some like holograms (like holograms in “game of ender” ,or “star wars”, or NMS (when you talk with Andromed or Appolo). And my last idea about space federation with its laws and robbers.

And more. In theme about psychology of species, @Mitobox says that

1 Like

An idea regarding being a commander. Maybe there should be some ranks to it, so the higher rank you are; you can ask for larger backup or more powerful ship materials etc.

This could be also in the Society+. Adding and removing military rank that could affect how your units work etc.

I think what could look really amazing is having big planets in comparison to the cities on the planet. Spore had really small planets where the cities felt like they were the size of entire countries, and flying to a city on the opposite side of the planet took a whole 10 seconds.

Entering a planets atmosphere could also look stunning, and I think overall it would give the player so much more of a feeling of accomplishment when you were to invade a planet, for example.

necropost

2 Likes

Why not a BBES (Big Bad Evil Species) like the Grox from Spore, but not forced upon you to be the ‘oh so mighty one who rid’s the galaxy from evil! Let me ally you for no reason!’ way. Like a species that just hates other life.

1 Like
Well, there was a strategy to get rid of the Grox. You become their ally as well as their ally’s ally, then you kill their friends to finally kill them all.

Or as I did ally them, then buy all their planets. That was a good couple of billion sporebucks wasted.

1 Like
Well, that wasn’t my strategy, it was just someone I knew who used that one. I just didn’t bother too much with them. I destroyed many of their planets, then I just decided to go through the Milky Way’s Core. My first species to have done this is named “PewDie” in honor of PewDiePie.

Anyway, let’s get back to the thread, partner!

1 Like

There will be always be species who despise other life, you don’t need to make an extra „mega evil“ species for that.

3 Likes

IIRC if you use terraforming tools to make the planet livable, the Grox city will immediately be destroyed or something, that’s what most people used.

2 Likes
That’s normally the opposite for most species. I don’t recall that.

Yeah, the Grox are specials cyborgs that only thrive in inhospitable terrain (so T0 planets). However, if you terraform and in turn destroy the city l, they still turn hostile against you.

2 Likes

I know, I just brought their planets.

How did you ally with the Grox? I was never able to do this.

1 Like
You need to fulfill some quests for them to reduce their anger against you. Only then, you can become ally with multiple actions.
2 Likes

Allying with them is very expensive. Like Blackjack said, you do some missions for them (which usually involve you hurting another civ) but it doesn’t do much. You also have to bribe them and set up embassies (which they attack, so be prepared to place many). You also need a super happy ray to make their population happy. Finally, you break the Galactic code in front of them (use super weapons, but not on them). Only then you are able to set up a trade route with them before finally allying with them, after which you subsequently get declared war by the entire galaxy.

4 Likes
Well, I never allied with them. I was so OP at the end of the game that I just attacked their colonies with some guerrilla warfare. Attack, get out, attack and get out until they’re dead. I didn’t want to bring their entire fleet after me, so reeeeeeeee! Then, I was just tired of it and went to the galactic core to finally go to Earth and wait for my Human civ to reach Space stage and re-take control of Earth. My first civ is just making sure it’s safe.
1 Like

I have no idea how culture would develop when apporaching the space stage. Do all the cultures of the homeworld have to merge in order to sustain the species?