Introducing Thim's Thrive Fork!

also, you have the problem of microbe parts not being sized right

IDK if this is a problem for you or the dev build

I also have the problem of auto Evo not putting anything on the first sunlight zone thing

I’m getting a screenshot rn

That I wouldn’t know. Got a screenshot?

Is there a prototype macro for this, or not implemented?

Do you need more screenshots? also this
Microbe AI failure! System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.
at MicrobeAI.Think (System.Single delta, System.Random random, MicrobeAICommonData data) [0x00023] in :0

Overall Improvements tbm

1. Fix the sizing problem (If possible, not that important)

2. Fix whatever that ai think the problem is

3. The auto Evo for the first sun layer is good, some entered, just took a while

4. Increase and or add an organelle to create//produce phosphate, for later stages it is a pain to get it done

A new version has been uploaded: Thim's Thrive Fork by raggaaa

Stuff I stole:

• Added the art gallery. not really nessicary, but I thought it was cool.
  • Stole a lot of bug fixes and a couple performance improvements from the main repo
  • World seed now displays in the editor in case you didn’t write it down on paper at the start of the game (everyone does that, right?)
  • Toxin no longer disappears if it hits a chunk. This makes poisonous microbes as dangerous as venomous ones.

Stuff I made:

• Added a title card for transitions to Eukaryotic and Multicellular gameplay.
  • Reformatted Auto-evo prediction to hopefully make it easier to understand.
  • Hovering over a microbe in the environment will (usually) display some auto-evo related data. This mostly serves as a debugging tool for me.
  • Adjusted spawn system to have microbes look more natural when swimming on screen
  • Also adjusted spawn system to handle mobile vs immobile species
  • Game balance changes, mostly aimed at finally putting plants in their place
  • Microbes can now fire toxin in any direction instead of only out the “front”
  • Organelles decay faster. Might help lag a bit
  • Immobile player cells can’t turn anymore
  • Editor now displays estimates of compound balance at rest and in motion. Keep in mind they aren’t perfectly accurate
  • The pilus now has a chance to cut organelles out of the target microbe.

I was not able to do the Lamarkian behavior evolution I said I would do on the last Thrivestream, but I have made some of the AI refactors needed to make that happen. My first priority for the next release, however, will be an overhaul to the auto-evo, hopefully to the point of being able to support NPC species in multicellular stage!

6 Likes

Very intresting this is going well

one thing that would make this far better is a system that allows for cells to increase the amount of time that it takes to digest things as well as something that makes cells inside your cell give you any excess of anything they produce as well as gives the engulfed cell get some of the ammonia and phosphates you collect if you choose to do so and let them reproduce while engulfed. as well as the engulfing system to make that all possible. basically endosymbiosis framework(if i understand what framework is) and how early endosymbiosis worked and when it is fully coded a few generations after the endosymbiosis event you no longer need to use space that could be storing things like iron chunks to have the endosymbiont as it becomes an organelle.

EDIT: i found a bug for the text that says “when the bubble ran out of energy physics took the molecules back”. it says that when your energy hits zero even if you do not take damage from lack of energy

There is a variable for that in the thrive statistics

i said i was not taking damage from lack of energy

Interesting; I’ll look in to that!

After a long wait, I have another release ready: Thim's Thrive Fork by raggaaa

This update doesn’t have many fancy features other than concave membranes, and mostly focuses on subtle improvements to core gameplay. The auto-evo has been completely overhauled, which you should notice in the form of less hodgepodge looking species around you, and with the spawn rates tweaked you should also find yourself less swarmed by yourself!

In addition to this lackluster update, the other news is that, aside from any hotfix I might do if anyone reports bugs, this is likely to be my final release of this experiment. My own progress has been slower and Thrive’s progress has been faster than I expected, to a point that it might make more sense to re-fork the code and just transfer over the changes I wrote than bring the main repo’s changes back. That said, the auto-evo refactor was the last thing I really wanted to do here, and now that’s done about as well as can be (if you want more detail on that I’ll be posting on the dev forums)

I doubt this will be my final word on Thrive. Given all the code refactoring slated in the next couple months, my current plan is to swing back around in late summer, and see what interests me then. I’ll let everyone know if I’ve got something cool to show off.

Until then, enjoy the ultimate edition of Thim’s Thrive Fork!

10 Likes

I appreciate the optimistic support, but there’s a chance it won’t be complete until the summer is basically over.

2 Likes

how do i make it run

If you unzip the zip file, there should be an executable in there, that looks like a blue face. Click on that and it should run.

So I guess you aren’t using the export script / if you are on Linux you don’t have rcedit?

I tried that and it just keeps crashing

I had the same problem. Then I tried it on a different computer account and then it worked for some reason.

I’m still too lazy to use the export script, but I made a linux export on the itch site now, so if you are using linux try that out.

i am on windows but i think the problem is my hardware

Forgot to mention: if anyone read this far but doesn’t like reading, I did a video: Fork Overview - YouTube

3 Likes