Let's talk about: Amphibious civs

another different way would be to have external gills that you need to equip a harmless bag like organism(most commonly known as jellyfish on earth) that you may or may not have domesticated for the sole purpose of wearing on your gills to keep them hydrated and full of oxygen on land and being an axolotl

That water could run out of oxygen and constantly need to be replaced with new water from the sea.

Except there is drag underwater. Spears can appear but not arrows.

Or They could do this

Well, that’s a given, considering their situation. Maybe they will create some “outposts” to replace the water, so, they don’t lose time returning to the sea.

or domesticate harmless jellyfish into muscular bags of water that can survive on land as long as they have no spillage and get enough oxygen for an animal with internal gills by way of external gill like structures and a thin endoskeleton both achieved by way of selective breeding

Please no. Tool breeders is another very bad idea. Which was already thoroughly debunked in the under water thread and made fun of here:

my suggestion is more clothes breeder route which is far more feasible than breeding an animal into a pickaxe for example

It’s still the very, very similar concept and causes me to violently roll my eyes.

What’s going to stop the jellyfish from drying in contact with air?

1: the water inside it and 2: whatever trait the player decides to select for to make it stay hydrated more easily (ex: actively taking water from the air and letting water transfer between its cells and its inner surface so its cells don’t pop, if you remove the inner surface part(mainly because the inner surface of land plants and animals is still part of the plant/animal) there is a desert insect that does this and aloe vera also does this)

Does a 100% water creature deciding to make a platform by accident and then making a forge there but still needing to go back to water to breathe (or just have someone splash water on their gills) count as amphibian?

if it can only use the oxygen already in the water in its gills while in air no if it can get oxygen from water while being in air yes

All gills can absorb oxygen from air, the problem is that they loose moisture too quickly.

i meant more due to diffusion surface(which would just be the gill openings if they are filled with water) limits than actual biological limitations stopping them from getting oxygen from the air

Amphibian seems a pretty Earth-centric term, but quickly scanning wikipedia seems to suggest that to count as an amphibian a species needs to have some adaptations for surviving on land, at least being able to kind of breathe on land seems to be the first amphibian mentioned.

1 Like

I remember the hallmark of amphibians evolving into amniotic animals is that reproduction and larval growth no longer rely on water.
One problem is that the limbs of vertebrates that can use tools are not suitable for amphibious life, but we can consider Metamorphosis like frog.But this is just like terrestrial organisms that rely heavily on water for survival.

One important aspect is how a species has evolved limbs that can use tools, such as primate’s hands. One could be the octopus’s tentacles.

A civilization that relies on water for egg laying and reproduction? (I keep an eye on frogs.)
A civilization that possesses the ability to live in water and directly enters the water to develop underw ater resources? (Beaver? I’ve played Timberborn recently.)

Perhaps taking a look at the fantasy creatures in DND,like Bullywug, Sahuagin, Locathah, Triton.

This creature has multiple limbs for locomotion (as well as the upper membranes, which play a small role). The upper limbs are a pair of human-like arms, and a pair of tentacles. I don’t think there’s any reason why the arms wouldn’t be useful underwater. They can be used for grabbing and clawing at prey, as well as simple tool use, while the upper tentacles can be used for grabbing or locomotion.

It’s evolved for floating at the surface, or hunting in shallows. It occasionally goes on land, but prefers staying in the water.

1 Like

The species I mentioned earlier is that aquatic vertebrates only have four limbs.
Considering arthropods with more limbs, may crustaceans have the potential to evolve their hands?
In your imagination, is it a vertebrate or an animal with an exoskeleton?

It’s a vertebrate, with an area of shell over its back.

And there’s no reason that vertebrates couldn’t have more limbs.

Existing vertebrate organisms only have four limbs, as their ancestors only evolved four limbs, which were sufficient for land travel.
I am thinking about the possible evolutionary pathways of this organism.
Assuming that the divergence between this organism and the existing evolutionary path on Earth is a fish. Should it have evolved to specialize a pair of long front fins into claws that can grab food?
One question is what kind of environment prompted it to evolve step by step into this shape.

edit: The divergence between vertebrates with more limbs and the Earth’s evolutionary line extends to the number of paired fins in earlier fish species.
Speaking of the prototype of this thing, I feel like Triops spp