New cell organelles, weapons, and defenses

I feel rather differently from a design perspective. I’d ideally like it if every organelle is unique and was the best in some situations. For example the mitochondria is more efficient than the metabolosome (you get more ATP per unit of glucose) but it’s less powerful (you get less ATP per hex). That means if you want to make the fastest possible cell you want to use metabolosomes, if you want to go for stamina you want to use mitochondria.

I’d like it if every organelle was like this. That way it expands the number of cool cells you can make. Having straight upgrades isn’t so interesting I don’t think.

4 Likes

Let’s bring this back.
I’m thinking of cell mines. It would be an opening (ideally position in the rear of the cell) that synthesizes and then release bacteria sized balls of toxin and biomass. The other cells on the map would read than as bacteria and treat them as such. This would take some of your reproductive resources to do but these would be potent enough to kill any cell that engulfs them (minus one’s with immunity). This is would allow a more sedentary play style and you set up mine fields and then wait.

2 Likes

I think being able to drop things behind you as you flee is an interesting idea, whether that’s agents of some kind of mines/pellets.

I guess it could be used to running but this is more like bait. All cells other than your own species should (if they are a predator cell) see it as an easy meal.

Oh I see, yeah that sounds interesting too.

My list is as follows:

• Cytosome: Some cells have a big “mouth” and this will counter all those cells that turn into porcupines as they all do late game even if escaping is not too difficult with a fast cell
  • Cytoskeleton: One-off part that will allow you to add shape to your cell so it is not just another blob. Some plankton have what look like arms/tentacles.
  • Better Rusticyanin: The one ATP organelle that does not have a nucleus upgrade
  • Large Flagellum: I would like an option to bind multiple flagella together into a larger one and perhaps a way to make a large taillike structure (the second one may just be me waiting for the multicellular stage)
  • Cell Organization Bane/Boon: Placing ATP users next to ATP producers should allow that organelle to work at peak performance with it being less effective the further away it is. Also, chloroplast and other glucose/energy compound creators should have an incentivization to be neer ATP producers such as reduced ATP requirements (less energy to transport).
    *Organelle Grouping: Grouping organelles should be beneficial (give it a small MP cost to do so). A ring of chloroplast with a vacuole at the center should be an efficient way of producing and storing glucose and combining it into a grana (a stack of 10-100 chloroplast). For lack of a better term, we can call a group of mitochondria a mitochondrial matrix.
    *Golgi Apparatus: I see the nucleus model has this so unsure
    *Peroxisomes and Lysosomes: Waste disposal and security for it they ever add in viruses and other harmful invasive cells. It could also be used to speed up engulfment. Peroxisomes could also be used to increase toxin resistance as the only current toxin is oxygen-based.
2 Likes

Is there any biological support for this? I would imagine that cells have pretty uniformly distributed important compounds in their cytoplasm, meaning that actual proximity would have no effect.

Yes, it’s part of the nucleus. Some people have suggested that the golgi and ER would be separate organelles you need to add first before getting the nucleus (instead of them just being part of the nucleus).

Ok. It made sense to me but if no actual precedent exists, it should not be added. This was just me jotting down ideas.

I like that idea, may be hard to balance though due to the large ATP cost of a Nucleus (how much would Glogi cost, etc etc)

A giant spring boxing glove
(just kidding)

2 Likes

I was also thinking about this, (especially the first part). I think larger cells should be able to have more powerful and larger flagellum in order to not go 1 nanometer per hour without flagellum, and not having to look like a pin cushion with the current amount of flagellum needed to make a large cell move decently fast.

Format… |||
|—|—|
|||
idea: Future in game parts and abilities for them(cell stage) And some part ideas to add to existing cell parts
Examples: Endocytotic vacuoles , Lysosomes , Large Plant vacuoles Etc.

i actually just had a great idea for how large plant vacuoles could be handled! you could enable merging on vacuoles and merge them using metaball psychics or something and make a blobby vaccule of any size, possibly even with altered stats, but it could just be an aesthetic thing.

Welcome I also missed a few ideas I personally had…

1. Endocytotic vacuoles: Where food particles are taken into the cell called endocytosis and is placed into a vacuole.

In game should help engulfing better in the area placed Should also help grab slightly more nutrients than when you directly engulf without it.

1. Lysosomes: Digests cell parts, but I’m real life is used to digest dead, really damaged or really infected, cell parts, and can kill pathogens

Should be used in game to get more glucose ammonia and phosphates from cell parts at once, can also digest other materials that the other cell had that with out it wouldn’t get absorbed (examples: iron, hydrogen sulfide)

1. Large Plant vacuoles : adding onto space fairings idea, hold almost all of the plants water (I didn’t have Mitch to add)
If When implemented should be two nuclei in size Should be able to hold more materials
Should only be accessible in certain membrane types Should be able to absorb water from surroundings to improve the photosynthesis of the chloroplasts
  1. Food vacuoles: work as food digestion and storage
If implemented should Work like the lysosomes only in the way of digestion but works slower with digestion with lesser amounts of absorption from materials and cell parts Should Only works on cell parts
Should Only be an absorber of ammonia glucose and phosphates
  1. Golgi apparatus

5/Description/list:

Cell Metabolism becomes editable, Individual cell parts and their metabolism becomes editable,
ER/endoplasmic reticulum should become editable seperate from nucleus once the Golgi apparatus is placed, Should Change in game cell features that in real ife would be made from prossesed lipids, protiens, ect. That could get prosessed by the golgi apparatus (cell feature example: type of membrain). I think how the membrain stuff dshould be done in game is by adding the ablility to change whitch parts have different membrain types.

5/Explanation/description

6: cilia, even though already being implemented it should also not just be used for movement but food sweeping as well. This is actually what real ciliates do in the wild and is can be used along with the Endocytotic vacuoles to sweep up food and then move it into the Endocytotic vacuoles to help engulf even if your cell has a membrane or that can’t engulf. In this idea you can only engulf through the Endocytotic vacuole or Endocytotic vacuoles.

I partially had that idea once

If I’m not mistaken those are included in the nucleus.

1 Like

True I remembered that later int reading about different game parts (the nucleus and ER appear in discussion) but there are a few that aren’t included like Endocytotic vacuoles and lysosome… I’m sure we might figure it out better

It would also be kind of cool but also kind of odd but what if there was an “add custom organelle” for custom organelle creating(that’s of course within scientific guidelines) and custom protein creation(also scientifically accurate)…

Lysosomes are coming soon!

I feel like thats gonna complicate the game pointlessly, we’re gonna be able to modify and upgrade organelles in the future, so there really isnt any reason to add this imo.

4 Likes

As TeaKing said, a rework of the engulfment mechanics is coming to 0.5.9, it will feature lysosomes and food vacuoles, though food vacoules in this case only acts as a visual element and have no effect the overall process. See here for more information.