New cell organelles, weapons, and defenses

I’m pretty sure ATP pumps are included in your cell by default but maybe they could be included in the membrane upgrade screen, so you could make them faster or more efficient or something.

1 Like

(Sorry if this idea was posted by someone before, I heaven’t read this thread fully)

My idea: Archeaen version of chloroplast. (Halobacterium)

Basically this genus of archeae can perform photosynthesis without chloroplast, using membrane bound protein called bacteriorhodopsin. (which is purple)

How can be used in-game?

1.) It can be used as membrane upgrade. (as way to create ATP passively, as long as there is sunlight)
2. ) It can be used as place-able organelle as less effective version of chloroplast (preferably one hex) before you have a nucleus.

Source: https://science.jrank.org/pages/5195/Photosynthesis-Halobacterium.html

5 Likes

This reminds me of how many other toxin works. Process a little to much of it, survive it and you will eventually be resistant (read: not immune). Maybe this could be shown in gameway by very slowly expanding the player specie’s toxic-storage? :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Edit; critical grammar error.

2 Likes

Does anyone know where to find the document for what is planned for the microbe stage?

I think @hhyyrylainen posted it somewhere, but I can’t find it.

Here’s a whole bunch of stuff, however I am pretty sure not all of it will make it in.

1 Like

IMMA SUGGEST A NEW WEAPON NOT JUST FEATURES
I assume that cell structures will work like a tech tree. For example if you develop both the straw pilus and the harpoon, you could then develop the harpoon to also suck out the insides like the straw.

If this is how it’s gonna work I’m about to come up with a whole lot of hybrid structures.

Er… actually I think that’s not happening. I think a lot of people negatively reacted to that idea before.

Isn’t that in the GDD? For example, how the pilus is evolved from the flagellum as a sort of ‘upgrade’.
Then again, a motorized harpoon-pump is a bit too non-LAWK.

Compared to some of the other items a harpoon pump isn’t that bad.

1 Like

How? A harpoon pump needs to be a detachable pilus that has proteins that actively pump against the cell membrane (which costs ATP, which the pilus then also needs to be able to store). There may be some even less logical organelles in this thread, but that’s not really an argument for your own organelle.

2 Likes

What does “LAWK” mean? I’ve looked on google, but the definition it gave made no sense in this context. I haven’t found an acronym either… .

Anyway, a harpoon is still an idea because it is possible in real life. Though, it would be so OP when used. Thus, I don’t know if it should be in the game. Maybe if the opponent cell runs out of ATP or doesn’t have enough ATP to distribute it to every organelle (harpoon included), then the harpoon gets off you, which saves you in the end. It would purposefully remind the player that randomness (though it’s still about cause & effect, it’s just that the player doesn’t know how much ATP his/her opponent has, which makes it a random factor) is a HUGE factor in evolution and survival.

EDIT :

Oh you meant an idea of having the pilus as a component to the harpoon? If so, I apologize my comment. I approve having the harpoon being a completely different organelle than the pilus.

1 Like

LAWK = Life As We Know (It)

3 Likes

That’s not what I meant, cell-level harpoons IRL are basically detachable pilii. I was mostly talking about the active pump part.

1 Like

Read the wiki! Thrive Abbreviations Dictionary - Thrive
(I haven’t yet continued moving the content as I’ve had other things to do)

1 Like

Im back from the dead.

Ok anyway following my brief reintroduction. How does radiosynthesis sound? the usage of melanin to convert harmful ionizing light such as UV rays/gamma rays to energy. Analogous to photosynthesis on earth. maybe if our planet had never developed a magnetic field and an ozone layer. radiosynthetic ‘plants’ would’ve propped up on earth?

Radiosynthesis has been actually seen in fungi from the chernobyl powerplant. a good 200-ish fungi containing melanin were seen to be propagating in regions of low nutrient, high altitude areas with high levels of uv radiation.

Perhaps radiotrophic organisms played a role in early earth and will do so in thrive?

1 Like

This sounds like the new Godzilla creatures minus them being huge.

That would be really cool to be honest.

imagine an earth like planet where sentient organisms destroy the ozone layer and release tonnes and tonnes of radioactive material into the planet. awakening million year old creatures capable of hibernating for extremely long times (similarly to how tardigrades hibernate) and wreck havoc on the ecosystems of the planet. with higher levels of ionizing radiation. it seems highly likely that plants would not survive. and by extension terrestrial creatures. even with a faster rate of mutation such an event would most likely result in the death of all previous terrestrial life on said planet. in this new wasteland giant radiotrophic ‘fungi’ would appear and would aid in the rehabilitation of life. just this time much more different.

although im not that well versed on that subject matter. the very speculation of such a thing is quite cool.

1 Like

In the newest thrive podcast they briefly talked about this.

2 Likes

I think radiosynthesis sounds like a really interesting thing. I like the idea that maybe it could be used on the surface of planets when the ozone layer is still thin, though that does overlap a bit with photosynthesis.

I also like the idea of little radioactive rocks you can hang out near to gain energy. It might be interesting if when you get too close you get damaged. So as a radiotroph you want to go close enough to get a nice energy supply but not so close you get hurt. Maybe the more melanin you put in your cell the closer you can get without taking damage. You could also lure over cells into the area in the hopes of killing them.

3 Likes

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it merits restating here (although I’m certain it has been mentioned by someone else). I want to see an upgrade for rusticyanin. Just like how a mitochondrion is an upgraded metabolosome, a chloroplast is an upgraded thylakoid, a plastid is upgraded nitrogenase, etc. Even if it is non-LAWK, it would fit with the rest of the organelles. It could be called a rustiplast or rustisome or something like that.

2 Likes