On Realism

You are definitely doing that. I’m not convinced about this working design for an FTL drive that just needs a bit of work / further research to build. Saying basically “trust me, bro” is not good enough for me. Even things that turned out to be flops regarding FTL are publicized by news outlets pretty widely, so the fact that we have not heard of this and you can’t provide credible sources for your claims, leads me to believe that this thing you claim that exists, doesn’t actually.

As for all the relativity problems, in the game I think we’ll just have to handwave that away and say that “Look, in real life there’s this thing called relativity, but due to simulation constraints it’s not a thing in Thrive”.

1 Like

The reason I don’t believe in time dilation is because the people trying to prove it only did one test and that the clock hand of the clock in the plane was subject to many forces such as acceleration from takeoff, the vibrations of the plane, and the centripetal force (although a minor force in this circumstance) of the plane going around the planet. That, and they said that the difference was tiny from one clock to another, and, in my opinion, within the margin of error when you account for those factors.
Also, they should have done at least 3 tests. that is the BARE MINIMUM in science if you want to prove something.

That’s not the only evidence of time dilation we have? I even said another one in an earlier post, with the muons.

Please remind me of that test.

I don’t feel like retyping it, so

Here’s an example of time dilation: particles muons are created high in the atmosphere due to cosmic rays hitting the earth. at rest they decay far too fast to reach the earth, but because of their high speeds (which would not be enough if time passed at the same rate for all observers) their clocks get slowed down enough that they have time to reach the surface.

I probably should have said their time to be more literal, the clocks are imaginary. Also, while not caused by the same effect, satellites in earth’s orbit literally have to account for gravitational time dilation to function properly.

FEED ME KNOWLEDGE!!!
I NEED MORE PHYSICS!!!
(Not being sarcastic why are they saying gravity warps time.)

Gravity warps space and time that’s kinda the whole idea of general relativity.

1 Like

I already knew it warped space, didn’t know about the warping time theory.

Space and time are a single thing though, spacetime. Also I did a little more research about the GPS satellites and indeed the gravitational time dilation is the main effect, there is in fact time dilation caused by the satellites motion that makes the time tick slightly slower enough that they have to make sure to account for that too.

Or the satellite is heading away or towards the observer and it takes that long for the light to reach them.

GPS clocks, if ticking normally, would tick 38 microseconds faster than clocks on the surface of Earth. They had to specifically design those clocks to tick slower so that they’d be ticking at the same rate as the surface when in orbit. This is crucial for GPS satellites to operate with precision. The speed of light isn’t relevant here.
To be more clear: If you were to take those clocks back to the Earth’s surface, they would be out of sync with clocks they were previously in sync with.

1 Like

So I’ve been reading this thread through, and I’ve heard all this about time moving faster/slower as you move at different speeds, and time differences…

(like if a rocket flew towards the milky ways center and came back around taking 10 years, 20 would have passed on earth, and the reverse the other way, 10 years to 5)

… but I never quite understood the why. Like it shouldn’t matter if I tune a watch to the exact time according to radiation clocks, then board a jet (omitting any room for error, such as movement messing with the time displayed on the watch by jiggling the needle). Those radiation clocks will still be firing off at the same speed, so why would time change?

Okay, so the key to understanding why time dilates at high speeds is remembering that the speed of light is a constant of (nearly) 300,000 km/s, for all reference frames. It is impossible for light to appear to move faster or slower. This conflicts with our intuitive logic of how motion works. For example, if you accelerate towards a car headed in the same direction on the road beside you, the car would appear to slow down as you approach the same speed. Yet from no perspective does light ever do this. So when an object approaches the speed of light, in order for the speed of light to remain constant from that object’s perspective, its clock would have to slow down for outside observers (yet from the perspective of the object, time continues as normal), causing time dilation

1 Like

So your saying the universe revolves around light.
And every particle must have the speed of light be the same relative to it no matter what.
The way I look at it light is just another particle just like any other particle and has set rules for it’s existence just like everything else. Why do we have to keep setting limits for ourselves?

Also by that logic you can’t travel through time anyway because the particles are the things that are slowing down, not the universe.

You need to remember that the speed of light isn’t just the speed of light. It’s the speed of electromagnetic waves, the speed of causality. The fact that c is a constant in all reference frames is not just a hypothesis we have, it’s something we know about how the universe works, as a result of the maxwell equations, which are a mathematical description of electromagnetism. The fact that time slows down for fast objects is just something that happens as a result of that fact about the universe. Also, you’re right, you cannot travel back in time by going at speeds less than or equal to light. You can travel pretty far into the future within a single lifetime of your perspective, though.

1 Like

Are you seriously going to argue that time dilation is not real (and general relativity is also wrong)?

You are basically saying that the people who made GPS have no clue what they are doing and they have “accidentally” managed to make the math for relativity corrections right.

I see someone else already mentioned this, but yeah, unless you think GPS is fake(d), you can’t think that time dilation is not real.

5 Likes

Also, (again), I was wrong about my previous statement that it was Dyson sphere level tech, they made a bubble about a nanometer in with.

A bubble? Are you talking about the DARPA warp bubble? Because if so that was a theoretical model they made, not the bubble itself. But a lot of news articles titled it claiming they made the bubble… Which is like saying that because you looked at a recipe for pizza, you MADE the pizza.

I want to see the creation of a warp bubble, but sadly it has not been done yet.
Unless you’re talking about something entirely else, in which case I apologize for my pointless reply.

1 Like

Looking back through this. I was really dumb.