PC Setups

Here you can share your PC Setups, which can be designs (an idea) or actual PCs.

Here is my physical PC Setup.

CPU: i3-4330
GPU: RX 560 4GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3
HDD1: 500 GB, [REDACTED] RPM
HDD2: 6 TB, 7200 RPM

Here is my ideal Toaster starting setup (344.93$CDN without taxes):

CPU: Ryzen 3 1200
GPU: RX 560 4 GB
RAM: 8 GB DDR4, 3000 MHz
SSD1: 512 GB
HDD2: 6 TB, 7200 RPM

Beautiful!

Wonderful!

Magnificent! Elegant! Pure toaster!

Feel free to post your setups!

1 Like

I guess I might as well post what I have

OS: Fedora 30 (Linux) + Windows 10 for those times when I need to do Thrive stuff on it
CPU: i9-7900X
GPU: GTX 1080 Ti
RAM: 112 GiB DDR4
Disk: 40TB, half reserved for backups. Mostly spinning disks, but I also have a few terabytes of SSD for installing program and OSes.

1 Like

Why tf do you have 112 GiB of RAM and 40 TB HDD? What kind of work do you even do that requires that? Creating a simulation of the entire damn universe or something?

2 Likes

I use both firefox and chrome. That already takes around 20 GiB. And then a bunch of clang autocomplete servers taking a few GB at a time and a bunch of open programs, it adds up quite fast. I’m currently using just 28.9 GiB of RAM, but I usually go up to around 36 GiB of used RAM when I’m not forced to restart my computer for some time.
I didn’t buy all my RAM or hard drives at once, I’ve been adding to them over the years. It helps to having a motherboard with 4 channel memory and a lot of memory slots to go with it, so I can use 3 sets of RAM.

1 Like

But can you CPU even handle that? Those background programs don’t take up a whole lot of processing power, but I would assume it would add up to quite a lot if you have near 40 GiB of programs piled up.

So far it has handled just fine. Most of the background tasks don’t consume a lot of CPU. It also helps that my CPU is a 10 core 20 thread one. Right now most of my cores are idling between 1.3-2.0 GHz, whereas the maximum turbo frequency is 4.2 GHz on most cores, with one core overclocked up to 4.5 GHz. There isn’t really any noticeable slow downs unless I’m compiling software with a bunch of cores at once.

1 Like

Yeah alright fair. I have to say though, I feel insufficient right now with my weakling computer, even though it’s still pretty high-rank. (16 GiB RAM, RTX 2060, i7 9750, 1TB HDD and 256 GB SSD)

1 Like

Well, you have a better PC than mine. I wonder why it would be a ‘weakling’.

Because it does not have more than a hundred GiB or RAM, nor 40 TB HDD.

1 Like

You mean ‘of ram’ or ‘or ram’? Also, since when was 100 GB of RAM needed? I mean, I still have 16 GB DDR3, and I’m handling most games just fine.

I think it’s time to discount hhyyrylainen whenever he says the game should run smoothly on someone else’s computer.

8 Likes

I’m bookmarking this post for later use. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

https://blog.codinghorror.com/the-works-on-my-machine-certification-program/

7 Likes

I had also another more powerful setup that I might share later.

The more I see other people’s setups, the more I feel inferior with my 2009 MacBook that overheats if I open Steam.

1 Like

Hmm, oh well.

We are superior!

I can’t use any other video editor except Filmora because of playback.

Here is my new ideal Toaster setup.

CPU: Ryzen 3 1200
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX
RAM: 16 GB DDR4-2400
SSD1: Team GX2 512 GB 2.5"
HDD2: Hitachi Deskstar NAS 6 TB 7200 RPM 3.5"
GPU: MSI RX 560 4 GB
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500 W
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower

My toaster! I hope it won’t be fried…

Is that a good setup for gaming?

EDIT: Upgraded version named “My Dragon Toaster”

CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X + CPU cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX
RAM: 16 GB DDR4-2400
SSD1: Team GX2 512 GB 2.5"
HDD2: Hitachi Deskstar NAS 6 TB 7200 RPM 3.5"
GPU: MSI RX 5700 XT 8 GB/Zotac RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500 W
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower

Why tf do you have a gaming setup with 6,5 TB of memory, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, and a 500W PSU, but a a ryzen 3 1200 with an MSI RX 560 GPU? That’s ridiculously strong for basically everything, except for the most important 2 things in the PC for gaming (GPU and CPU), who are below potato quality.

1 Like

It’s a toaster after all.

My current CPU: i3-4330

My current GPU: RX 560

RAM: 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz

[justify]How could it make it any worse?

My current setup runs most games pretty fine in 1080p.[/justify]