Podcast questions for the 0.4.1 release!

Will you get to choose a starting biome in case people want to make a specific type of cell?

Iā€™ll try to quickly address some of these questions that were left unanswered. Feel free to add more info if you have some.

With the freebuild editor, yes. With a normal start probably no. The plan is for the player to start as the only species on their planet and be a single hex. From there they can choose to spread to any specialized biomes they want and build their cell around that.

At some point it will probably switch over to be calories (or if we want to be more modern KJ) as the amount of energy an animal has. Before that it probably will be the same, collect compounds which your organelles will turn into ATP. This detail is a bit hazy but I would imagine that all the resources in the different cells of an organism are just pooled together instead of being simulated separately.

Iā€™m not exactly sure what you are asking. But if you are asking about seeing other members of your species moving around in the environment then thatā€™s definitely planned. And in fact even now youā€™ll see cells of your species roaming around the environment doing the same stuff that NPC cells do.

1 Like

Wait why calories but kilojoules? Why not kilocalories or just joules? My brain canā€™t handle this this early in the morningā€¦

It was some time ago that where I live all food packaging must list kilo joules first and then kilo calories. It would be nice for Thrive to also show things in KJ to feel more sciency.
One other problem with calories is that, AFAIK, in America they call kilo calories just calories, just to add to the general level of confusion.

1 Like